Old 07-06-2020, 06:57 AM   #1
3rds
Human being with feelings

Default Two External Input Signals to an EQ

Hey guys! I have a question on EQs. I have a dynamic EQ like TDR on a synth track. I have the bass track sent to synth track on channels 3-4 so I can tame the low end only when the bass parts are masking things. What if I wanted to also dynamically EQ that synth track using a strings track for higher frequencies?

Is this possible, to have different external signals controlling different EQ bands on the same track? I usually use TDR or neutron for EQ.

Maybe there is something else I could use to achieve the same thing?
3rds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:14 AM   #2
serr

You can use as many instances of parameter modulation you need to automate as many bands as you need. Just keep adding more track channels as needed.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:32 AM   #3
3rds

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
You can use as many instances of parameter modulation you need to automate as many bands as you need. Just keep adding more track channels as needed.
I know I can also send other tracks to that synth track on 3-4 and do that as many times as I want, but then the EQ bands will be triggering based on all of those signals combined.

I'm asking is there a way to have the EQ recognize the different signals and make the dynamic gains/cuts based on those only. So if I sent the bass on 3-4, the strings on 5-6, and vocals on 7-8, etc. and had the EQ recognize those distinct external signals and be able to assign a band to each of those signals.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:38 AM   #4
serr

That's what I'm saying. Add additional track channels for every new control signal you wish to use. Select the track channel input in the parameter modulation window. Repeat for every parameter modulation instance you create, selecting the correct track channels in each instance.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:33 AM   #5
ashcat_lt

Quote:
That's what I'm saying.
No it’s really not. You’re talking about making a dynamic EQ out of a static EQ using PM. The OP is talking about using an actual dynamic EQ where none of that is normally necessary.

Now I never use that kind of plugin, but if I’m not mistaken, they generally work like a multiband compressor where the detector is filtered to match the band that it is affecting. To do this with ReaEQ+PM, you need more ReaEQs and the chain starts to get ugly.

For different reasons this same issue impacts the OP, and I think the solution ends up being similar. You can sort of do this if you filter the sends at some point so that their frequency content only affects the band(s) you want them to affect. Then mix them together into the sidechain input.

Essentially mix the lows from the kick with the highs from the synth and it should work.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:51 AM   #6
3rds

Quote:
That's what I'm saying. Add additional track channels for every new control signal you wish to use. Select the track channel input in the parameter modulation window. Repeat for every parameter modulation instance you create, selecting the correct track channels in each instance.
Okay thanks!! I had not known about the parameter modulation through Reaper, was just using the EQ external input function.

So with this method, looks like I'm able to control the gain knob on any individual EQ band and adjust sensitivity through the parameter modulation window, for as many different tracks/channels I want, which works.

Is there any way to see all the parameter modulation instances that you have on a given track?
Old 07-06-2020, 10:03 AM   #7
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rds View Post
Hey guys! I have a question on EQs. I have a dynamic EQ like TDR on a synth track. I have the bass track sent to synth track on channels 3-4 so I can tame the low end only when the bass parts are masking things. What if I wanted to also dynamically EQ that synth track using a strings track for higher frequencies?

Is this possible, to have different external signals controlling different EQ bands on the same track? I usually use TDR or neutron for EQ.

Maybe there is something else I could use to achieve the same thing?
I think you could do it like this:

Synth1 holds your synth track with TDR, and takes its side chain from the Bass track. Synth1 then sends to the Synth2 track (but not to Master), and Synth2 has dynamic EQ taking its side chain from the Strings track.

Be careful to set the pan laws so that that it does not affect the send from Synth1 to Synth2.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:13 AM   #8
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
No it’s really not. You’re talking about making a dynamic EQ out of a static EQ using PM. The OP is talking about using an actual dynamic EQ where none of that is normally necessary. ...
Looks like I was assuming things, yes. Parameter modulation in this case.

PM would absolutely work for that. You can automate the gain on the eq band on any 3rd party plugin just as easily as with ReaEQ. If you need to use multiple control signals from various sources, this will let you do that. It might take a few mouse clicks to dial up but it will be a straight path right to the door.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:26 AM   #9
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Looks like I was assuming things, yes. Parameter modulation in this case.
Yeah but it certainly can work, and seems the OP is good with it. I was kind of trying to answer the actual request before offering alternative solutions I guess.

Edit - Lemme rephrase a little. I think the PM method actually does what the OP really wants better and easier than what I thought they asked for. That’s why I kind of never use dedicated dynamic EQs. If there was something special about the the dynamic EQ’s knee or envelope you’d have to try harder, but for most things...

Last edited by ashcat_lt; 07-06-2020 at 10:34 AM.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:31 AM   #10
serr

I should know better than to post before coffee.