Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 06-27-2020, 12:54 AM   #1
Lophophora
Human being with feelings

Default Some plugins take an unusually long time to load

Hey,

Most of my plugins load quickly or within what seems like a reasonable amount of time. But some of them take what seems like forever to load, so I'm suspecting something isn't right. Izotope plugins are the ones that take the longest (approx. 12 seconds).

All my plugins are on a fast SSD and my computer is fast (AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core, RAM 64 GB). What's wrong?

I am using the VST3 version (I never installed the other ones), could this be part of the problem?

Once the plugins have loaded everything works fine.
Lophophora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:58 AM   #2
Pintspiller

The izotope plugins I have take the longest to load too. Having a SSD loads them up quicker. Mine take ages and I use the time Reaper takes to load to grab a coffee, switch on my interface, my amplifiers, to wash my hands (lengthens the life of guitar strings), find my notes/lyrics for the song.

I'm keeping my eyes open on ebay for used memory modules too as it will save a fortune buying them new from Kingston or Crucial.
Pintspiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:34 AM   #3
Lophophora

I've seen Izotope plugins load way faster on some Youtube tutorials. I know you can always find higher performance computers but mine seems already pretty good to me so I was wondering if there might be something wrong or some kind of optimization I could do to make it faster.
Lophophora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 03:29 AM   #4
Pintspiller

I upgraded from 4GB to 16GB RAM and Reaper loads much quicker. Freezes less often too. It's got the old-fashioned HDD and I think the spec of the laptop in general is relatively out-of-date that the upgrade to SSD is probably unnecessary as it originally came with Windows 7 and was upgraded to Windows 10, so may struggle when Microsoft issue their next operating system.

The laptop I use with Reaper is also used for internet browsing (something I decided against with a previous PC that I used for recording and I think that was a better idea, but downloading, installing and authorizing plugins is easier with the internet connection). I try to run CCleaner or Wise Disk Cleaner at the end of each day to remove browser cache items and empty the trash, etc. I also run Defraggler every few days to optomise the hard drive given the sizes of some of the audio files that I delete.
Pintspiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 03:38 AM   #5
msundh

I had Synth1 loaded with lots of libraries and it took forever
Old 07-28-2020, 02:36 PM   #6
Prigione Eterna

I have an old setup and sometimes that happens but not always with the most heavyweight plugins.
MT Power Drum Kit 2 for example isn't very heavy but it took very very long to load for each instance.
I don't think Reaper is the problem because it performs very well even on not powerful computers.
I suggest going through some of the many guides to optimize your computer for audio production that can be found online, just to rule out any of those issues.
Also, if I remember well, Reaper never worked well with VST3 plugins, but that may have changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
I had Synth1 loaded with lots of libraries and it took forever
Is there a way to avoid this? I liked Synth1 very much but it really takes ridiculously long to load with the libraries. I'm surprised it takes so much praise for its performance.
Prigione Eterna is offline   Reply With Quote