Old 01-01-2018, 01:21 AM   #201
vanhaze
Human being with feelings

Aha, no problem, good 4 U you sorted it out !
Old 01-02-2018, 12:12 PM   #202
Baggage

Default automatically "save project"

Is there an option to set up Reaper so that it automatically saves your project every few seconds?
Baggage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:19 PM   #203
vanhaze

1) Open Reaper Preferences
2) Navigate to the "Project" tab, in the list on the left of the Preferences window.
3) There you can see an option "Keep multiple versions" and an input field "every x minutes"
Old 01-02-2018, 01:59 PM   #204
Baggage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
1) Open Reaper Preferences
2) Navigate to the "Project" tab, in the list on the left of the Preferences window.
3) There you can see an option "Keep multiple versions" and an input field "every x minutes"
Awesome, thank you!
Baggage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:47 AM   #205
Tiggerdyret

Tip 1. How to speed up adding effects with SWS console commands (my personal method):
To add an effect to all selected tracks you open the console and type "x" and the first letter of the plugin you want to add in a single word. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOy5x0sVbqw&t=147s

To speed this up even more add a two letter word and a number to your favorite plugins. Keep the letters small as ReaConsole see small and large letters as different characters. So ReaEQ becomes: "eq1 - ReaEQ" and solid EQ becomes: "eq2 - Solid EQ" and so on. You can do the same with comps, reverbs, delays or whatever.

I also changed to console shortcut to be "x" instead of "c". So I just have to type xxeq1 and hit enter to add an fx.

Tip 2. Use a midi controller for keyboard shortcuts:
We only have so many keys on our computer keyboards, so I plan on getting a Novation Launchpad mini and use it as a dedicated shortcut board. I'll probably label a few rows to be adding effect or maybe just dedicate the whole board to adding plugins and chains quickly.
Tiggerdyret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:59 AM   #206
nocturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeb2016 View Post
I'm finding it most difficult to search these fora. Probably I'm using the wrong keywords. I'm not a professional recording engineer. A lot of this stuff is baffling to me.

I was previously recording my voice with Garage Band and Audacity. I was having a lot of problems with clipping. These problems were of two sorts. The first was dynamic range. The second was high frequency clipping, which is particularly important to me as a soprano.

So I got what I think is a fairly decent mic (Audio-technica at2020) and recently downloaded Reaper on an evaluation basis.

I found that the recording is very nice when I am speaking, but when I sing there is still a lot of clipping/distortion. I thought the whole purpose of professional quality recording software was that I wouldn't have these limitations, that I could sing as loud or as high as I wanted, right into the mic, and I wouldn't get distortion.

I suppose there must be something I should adjust to fix this problem, but I don't know what. I tried searching both the documentation and this forum and did not find anything I could understand. I found something about bit depth, but no clue as to how to adjust it.
youre missing some of recording's fundamentals. step away from the mic or turn down its gain but what you really need is education, quick, before you have more problems. use logic more than youre using the internet id also suggest.
nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:54 PM   #207
Nakedcityuk

Default Projectmix I/O

My projectmix is only partly running. I have tack vol and pan but thats about it. Reaper keeps giving me messages saying its missing, but it still works. Thoughts?
Nakedcityuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:31 AM   #208
Pritam_Bajpai
Banned

Default how to pan midi hihats

How do i pan individual midi note on a hi hat pattern from the midi editor.
Pritam_Bajpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:47 AM   #209
Pritam_Bajpai
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pritam_Bajpai View Post
How do i pan individual midi note on a hi hat pattern from the midi editor.
Never Mind ..... I found it
Pritam_Bajpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 05:41 AM   #210
KODA JYNX

Default need help resetting the (inserting the media file)

Sorry for the dumb question, but this one has me stumped. I've had Reaper for over 8 years now, and have never had this problem before. Anyway, any time I wanted to insert the media file, everything was cool, meaning that the folder that I was getting the media from (folders holding my songs), was the same size as it was before, allowing me to see almost everything. Yesterday, in an attempt to get something done before the wife got on her broom (don't ask), I hit something wrong while trying to get the file into reaper and the result was that the folder will completely cover reaper. I can still get the file into reaper, but it is messing up my work flow. I'm not saying Reaper did something wrong, I am saying that I did, because to do things to fast.

So, how do I get the folder to be it's normal size while pulling (Inserting) a media file? Apologize for needing the help, but if you can, PLEASE HELP!

I thank you in advance.

KODA JYNX
KODA JYNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 05:44 AM   #211
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KODA JYNX View Post
Sorry for the dumb question, but this one has me stumped. I've had Reaper for over 8 years now, and have never had this problem before. Anyway, any time I wanted to insert the media file, everything was cool, meaning that the folder that I was getting the media from (folders holding my songs), was the same size as it was before, allowing me to see almost everything. Yesterday, in an attempt to get something done before the wife got on her broom (don't ask), I hit something wrong while trying to get the file into reaper and the result was that the folder will completely cover reaper. I can still get the file into reaper, but it is messing up my work flow. I'm not saying Reaper did something wrong, I am saying that I did, because to do things to fast.

So, how do I get the folder to be it's normal size while pulling (Inserting) a media file? Apologize for needing the help, but if you can, PLEASE HELP!

I thank you in advance.

KODA JYNX
I'm sorry I don't know your answer but I would suggest posting this as a new thread in the general discussion forum. I think you'll get more visibility there and better help.

Last edited by Coachz; 07-08-2020 at 05:09 PM.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 05:47 AM   #212
KODA JYNX

Default need help resetting the (inserting the media file)

I thank you in advance.

KODA JYNX
Old 04-14-2020, 05:48 AM   #213
KODA JYNX

Thank you, Coachz
Old 04-14-2020, 06:25 AM   #214
Coachz

Post a new thread here.

https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19
Old 04-18-2020, 12:37 PM   #215
millsy131

Default Brilliant!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans View Post
There are the ' and the " keys for jumping to the cursor, and the [ and the ] keys for jumping to the next marker - do any of those help?
High Art, I have been looking for this [ ] two months!! I suppose you wouldn't know how to Select all within a region would you ?? Millsy
millsy131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:31 AM   #216
VivekM

Default Where to start ? + control click doesn't work (MAC)

Hi there,

I have heard this community forum is amazing, I am new to this trying out the software before considering purchasing. Curious where you would start? I have used Reason and Logic in the past but its been a while, so getting back into it

Also, Notice after watching some of the videos that Control + Click (right click on MAC) is key for getting some drop down menus/instructions, mine doesn't work for some reason. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help everybody!
VivekM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:00 AM   #217
JohnnyMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivekM View Post
Hi there,

I have heard this community forum is amazing, I am new to this trying out the software before considering purchasing. Curious where you would start? I have used Reason and Logic in the past but its been a while, so getting back into it

Also, Notice after watching some of the videos that Control + Click (right click on MAC) is key for getting some drop down menus/instructions, mine doesn't work for some reason. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help everybody!
Hello,

this might be more of a newbie or general discussion subforum question but anyway

First off , on pc, a lot of your settings and menus on pc are right click on the button or area, not control click. Don't forget about this! Almost every area and button has right click menus to access for quickly finding different settings. If you don't do it this way, you have to click through the menus at the top of the screen and it can be tough to find everything. If you want, you can customize the menus if you like, to make it easier to find the things you use most often, more quickly.

I would recommend using the videos. From there:

It kind of depends on how you like to learn, if you like to get a firm foundation, I would watch all the Reaper 5 explained videos to get an good overview of the different functions in reaper. Then what's new in reaper 6.

If you are more the jump right in type, go to record your band in the videos if you want to record live mics and instruments, or loop based production videos if you are doing loop based stuff, using midi and virtual instruments. Kenny made them as if you know nothing about reaper, and guides you through with everything you need to do.

If you get stuck, there are more specific videos, and the free user manual, and the forum where you can get many of your questions answered.

Good luck and have fun.

Last edited by JohnnyMusic; 04-21-2020 at 10:30 AM.
JohnnyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 01:30 PM   #218
VivekM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMusic View Post
Hello,

this might be more of a newbie or general discussion subforum question but anyway

First off , on pc, a lot of your settings and menus on pc are right click on the button or area, not control click. Don't forget about this! Almost every area and button has right click menus to access for quickly finding different settings. If you don't do it this way, you have to click through the menus at the top of the screen and it can be tough to find everything. If you want, you can customize the menus if you like, to make it easier to find the things you use most often, more quickly.

I would recommend using the videos. From there:

It kind of depends on how you like to learn, if you like to get a firm foundation, I would watch all the Reaper 5 explained videos to get an good overview of the different functions in reaper. Then what's new in reaper 6.

If you are more the jump right in type, go to record your band in the videos if you want to record live mics and instruments, or loop based production videos if you are doing loop based stuff, using midi and virtual instruments. Kenny made them as if you know nothing about reaper, and guides you through with everything you need to do.

If you get stuck, there are more specific videos, and the free user manual, and the forum where you can get many of your questions answered.

Good luck and have fun.
Thanks JohnnyMusic!

But I use a Mac not PC (and it's a laptop that's why its ctrl click) and they are still not coming up, any idea why?
Old 04-21-2020, 02:29 PM   #219
JohnnyMusic

Quote:
Thanks JohnnyMusic!

But I use a Mac not PC (and it's a laptop that's why its ctrl click) and they are still not coming up, any idea why?
No, sorry. Maybe a mac user can chime in...
Are you sure it is control click though, in the user guide on page 19 it says context menus are accessed by right click and doesn't say it is OS specific.

One other thing I'll mention, and I could just be bad at searching, but when I search for a topic on the forum page it doesn't seem to do a good job of finding relevant threads. I have more luck searching it on google or youtube.

Last edited by JohnnyMusic; 04-21-2020 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:20 PM   #220
VivekM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMusic View Post
No, sorry. Maybe a mac user can chime in...
Are you sure it is control click though, in the user guide on page 19 it says context menus are accessed by right click and doesn't say it is OS specific.

One other thing I'll mention, and I could just be bad at searching, but when I search for a topic on the forum page it doesn't seem to do a good job of finding relevant threads. I have more luck searching it on google or youtube.
Thanks, yes I am finding that. I just posted on Reddit as well for another issue.
Right click on a Mac with no mouse is definitely Crtl+Click. I wonder if its because I am using the trial version!?

How are you with MIDI lol ... I just watched the midi vids, and tried to get mine to play and won't! it says it's enabled but then when I go to arm the record button and select my midi input its not on the list...

The struggle is real.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:18 PM   #221
JohnnyMusic

There is no trial version, it is fully functional without the license the only thing it will do is nag you, and you should pay after the 60 day trial if you want to keep it.

Mac user will have to help you with context menus. Perhaps post that question separately under newbie subforum.

I mostly record miked and direct in instruments and vocals.
I do a little bit with VSTis for some keyboard parts, and record midi using an external midi keyboard for input while using those so I know the basics but am not an expert on midi.

The first thing you need to do is make sure your hardware is set up correctly. Have you done that?
If not, go to the videos under setting up shop, there are videos on setting up your audio interface and using a midi keyboard controller. There is also info in the user manual about how to do that.
Again if all that is done, maybe try the first midi song video series, it should walk you through how to get it going beyond set up.

I don't know what you mean by get midi to play. You'll have to be more specific about what you are trying to do. For midi to play you need a virtual instrument or synth or something to play back midi. Are you using an external midi keyboard for input? Are drawing the midi notes in manually. Are you using an audio interface? Reaper contains a basic synth you could use to get things going.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:14 AM   #222
solger

Quote:
In general, it can depend on the input device and (right-click) settings in macOS (https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-...ck-mh35853/mac).
Otherwise, there's also a Ctrl left click emulates right click setting available in Reaper under Preferences > Editing Behavior > Mouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivekM
How are you with MIDI lol ... I just watched the midi vids, and tried to get mine to play and won't! it says it's enabled but then when I go to arm the record button and select my midi input its not on the list...
You got some replies about this in your other thread: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=234928

Last edited by solger; 04-22-2020 at 07:28 AM. Reason: added link
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 03:10 PM   #223
VivekM

Default MIDI MIND MELT

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
In general, it can depend on the input device and (right-click) settings in macOS (https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-...ck-mh35853/mac).
Otherwise, there's also a Ctrl left click emulates right click setting available in Reaper under Preferences > Editing Behavior > Mouse.

You got some replies about this in your other thread: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=234928
Thank you SOlger!

the emulating worked! Amazing.

Today's brain buster: Every time I try to edit my MIDI, I keep getting stuck on the pencil tool, can't switch to the pointer which is hella annoying.

Thank you Solger!
Old 04-25-2020, 12:27 PM   #224
solger

Quote:
Today's brain buster: Every time I try to edit my MIDI, I keep getting stuck on the pencil tool, can't switch to the pointer which is hella annoying.
If you're referring to editing in the MIDI Editor, it might perhaps be related to how the following Mouse Modifiers are currently set up:
Otherwise, it's difficult to give any specific hints without knowing more details, like:
  • Where & how are you trying to edit the MIDI, exactly?
  • At which step(s) does the problem occur?
  • Over which element is the mouse cursor placed when it's stuck in 'pencil tool' mode?
  • And so on ...

So it would be helpful, if you could post a screenshot or a licecap (https://www.cockos.com/licecap/) screen capture which shows the issue.

Last edited by solger; 04-25-2020 at 01:08 PM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 11:05 AM   #225
ivanm

Hey I have a problem with splitting midi items, from some newer version on reaper, it will split at the wrong place in order to apply a crossfade.

The new item on the right is extended a bit to the left, which is not where the cursor is and where it was supposed to split. (The left item is split at the cursor position, so this seems to be done because of the crossfade, which is not what I want).

How do I disable this behavior?
ivanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:16 AM   #226
EpicSounds

fades shouldn't be auto applied to split MIDI items

What action are you using to do the split? please check the action list and paste the command name
Old 05-02-2020, 10:04 AM   #227
ivanm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
fades shouldn't be auto applied to split MIDI items

What action are you using to do the split? please check the action list and paste the command name
Ah, of course! I was using a wrong action!

New install and chose the wrong one... Got so used to it, it didn't occur to me to double check until now.

Thank you very much
ivanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 02:35 AM   #228
Sagittary

[MIDI EDITOR]
Is there a way to change the selected notes values(from 8ths to 16ths for example) AND ripple them next to each other? Kinda like guitar pro does by default...? lol
Sagittary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:19 AM   #229
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittary View Post
[MIDI EDITOR]
Is there a way to change the selected notes values(from 8ths to 16ths for example) AND ripple them next to each other? Kinda like guitar pro does by default...? lol
Maybe highlight the notes, shorten them, and control drag them to stagger them in between the notes to create your sixteenths. Should only take a second.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:51 AM   #230
Sagittary

thanks but that wont work because it will only double the notes or at best I'll have the second note where I want and the rest will still be separated
Old 05-30-2020, 06:45 AM   #231
Coachz

Quote:
thanks but that wont work because it will only double the notes or at best I'll have the second note where I want and the rest will still be separated
Then I clearly don't understand. If you have 8th notes playing the notes ABCD and then you select them all, shorten them, and control drag them just to the right a little bit you would end up with 16th notes aabbccdd. Is that not what you want?
Old 05-30-2020, 10:08 AM   #232
Sagittary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Then I clearly don't understand. If you have 8th notes playing the notes ABCD and then you select them all, shorten them, and control drag them just to the right a little bit you would end up with 16th notes aabbccdd. Is that not what you want?
For doubling notes this is a very nice method, and thank you for that it will be of use for sure, but I meant something like this:
Attached Images
File Type: png Bez tytułu.png (8.1 KB, 363 views)
Old 05-30-2020, 12:40 PM   #233
Coachz

Quote:
For doubling notes this is a very nice method, and thank you for that it will be of use for sure, but I meant something like this:
Ahhh. Maybe a genius scripter can hook you up. Looks straightforward.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:23 PM   #234
Sagittary

It seems I found it:
...Stretching note values...
the 2nd and 4th do pretty much what I wanted, except you can't make them triplet or dotted this way, only x2 or x1/2 length.

Ps. Is there a way to copy pngs into the text here? I know Reaper's GUI is dated but does it's forum also have to be? lmao
Attached Images
File Type: png Bez tytułu.png (7.2 KB, 329 views)
Old 05-30-2020, 02:27 PM   #235
Coachz

Quote:
It seems I found it:
...Stretching note values...
the 2nd and 4th do pretty much what I wanted, except you can't make them triplet or dotted this way, only x2 or x1/2 length.

Ps. Is there a way to copy pngs into the text here? I know Reaper's GUI is dated but does it's forum also have to be? lmao
Sweet those look like some nice scripts
Old 07-30-2020, 07:01 AM   #236
Coachz

Default Adding Envelope Points

I'm finding this an easy way to add envelope points for simple things. This is assigned to the Shift / Left Drag of the Envelope Segment but it works with a left click and you can also start dragging immediately. There is also an action that does not ignore snap if you need snapping.

Last edited by Coachz; 07-30-2020 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:30 AM   #237
Coachz

Default Auto Enlarge / Shrink selected track

Using the fine MPL Reapack script

Script: mpl_Enlarge selected track (background).lua

You can load it on project start and have it run in the background. Just make a custom action and assign it in Set Project Startup Action and when you resize a track, click others will get the new size. If you use the other Enlarge script with define height, you can enter a height in the script like 250 and have it fixed.

Old 07-30-2020, 07:59 AM   #238
Coachz

Default Learning your mouse modifiers

If you go to Help / Key bindings and mouse modifiers you can copy all the mouse modifiers, paste them into Word, change font size and type, make 2 columns and print (double sided if you have it). Then when you are watching tv you can look at the list and memorize the most important ones and have the rest on paper if you get stuck.

I hope it helps.

Old 07-30-2020, 09:58 AM   #239
Coachz

Default Take Colors

I found this cool thread on how to get takes to go through a custom list of colors. I think I'll be able to have much more visually appealing take colors this way.

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...54&postcount=4

Here's one with 3 groups of 3 colors and then it repeats

153 214 255
77 184 255
0 138 230
153 255 235
51 255 214
0 204 163
223 159 191
204 102 153
153 51 102

Last edited by Coachz; 07-30-2020 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:20 AM   #240
Coachz

Default Inserting envelope points on and off grid

Here are two scripts that work great for inserting envelope points. You don't even have to be on the envelope line to insert them.

The first script is in Reapack and is from me2beats:
Insert new envelope point at mouse (obey snapping)
This one snaps.

The second is modified from me2beats and does not snap. It's attached below. What's nice is you don't have to click on the line to insert the points with either script. Just wherever the mouse is you get a point above or below it.

Last edited by Coachz; 08-15-2023 at 07:04 AM.