Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 03-12-2018, 05:59 PM   #1
gentleclockdivider
Human being with feelings

Default enter chord ( ctr+alt+shift ) in scale mode

Recently discovered the alt+ctrl+shift short cut for entering chords ..
However , I think I may have encontered a bufg
When using the c minor scale ( or any other ), it's imossible to draw a chord starting from d ( D major , second scale degree ) ,

The root note is always either shifted upwards on downwards .
Same for starting a chord on F, the note is either entered on g or e flat .

Also the chord selector doesn't work here ,it always enters a basic maj.triad +octave

Last edited by gentleclockdivider; 03-12-2018 at 06:10 PM.
gentleclockdivider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:39 PM   #2
bobobo

i guess it is how it works

look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itSICuAhgNQ
kenny made a video recently about painting chords containg useful tips
bobobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:52 AM   #3
gentleclockdivider

well , it's that video that made me aware of the chord shortcut ..and thus to the creation of this topic .

Can you enter a 'Ddim' or an 'F min' in the C min scale , with the alt+ctr/+ shift shorcut ?

Last edited by gentleclockdivider; 03-13-2018 at 06:15 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:01 AM   #4
EvilDragon

Key snap only snaps to the notes that are defined in what you selected (either scale or a chord, it cannot be both at the same time). So in C minor scale, you cannot draw a D major, because F# is not a part of C minor. You'd need to select a D major chord for key snap if you wanna do that.

For what you wanna do, it can't be done with painting. You might wanna use this script: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=185358

Really neat tool for quickly inserting all sorts of chords, or even arpeggios (see Chord tab, use Shift+click to insert at edit cursor).

Last edited by EvilDragon; 03-13-2018 at 06:09 AM.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:42 AM   #5
gentleclockdivider

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Key snap only snaps to the notes that are defined in what you selected (either scale or a chord, it cannot be both at the same time). So in C minor scale, you cannot draw a D major, because F# is not a part of C minor. You'd need to select a D major chord for key snap if you wanna do that.

For what you wanna do, it can't be done with painting. You might wanna use this script: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=185358

Really neat tool for quickly inserting all sorts of chords, or even arpeggios (see Chord tab, use Shift+click to insert at edit cursor).
In my first post I accidentally wrote d min , while I meant d dim (corrected in second post )., which is part of the cminor scale .
D dim ( d,f ,a flat) .can't be created with the chord feature set to c minor scale .
Same for Fmin chord in C min scale , it can't be created with the chord feature.
Just try it out for yourself ,set to cmin scale, hold all modifiers keys and paint an Fmin chord , where you want to put your F root it automatically inserts an Eflat.
All I get are c min chord inversions.
So summary , yes the notes within the scale are all selectable when entered note/per note , but not when using the chord function ( ctr/alt/shift ) ,then only cmin inversions are possible , def something wrong here.
And this goes for all scales , iow the scale just acts as a static chord funcion ( + inversions )

Last edited by gentleclockdivider; 03-14-2018 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:56 AM   #6
EvilDragon

I am not sure I'm following. If you want to enter or paint a chord, you need to set the Key snap to the chord you want to paint. It will not paint arbitrary chords to the SCALE you selected in Key snap!
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:07 AM   #7
vanhaze

@ OP:

Abit offtopic but maybe you like to check this out ; could be somewhat of an eyeopener for ya:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGnOzV_abE0
Old 03-14-2018, 11:22 AM   #8
gentleclockdivider

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I am not sure I'm following. If you want to enter or paint a chord, you need to set the Key snap to the chord you want to paint. It will not paint arbitrary chords to the SCALE you selected in Key snap!
I assumed when choosing C and minor from the dropdown menu , that this implies to a C minor scale .
Where cmin , d dim ,e flat major , fmin , g min ,a flat major, b flat major are the respective scale degrees of the Cm scale .
I can choose all notes belonging to that scale while entering them note per note , but not when the chord function is active ( all modifiers keys)
So the droppdown menu is not a scale ?
https://imgur.com/LeE711d
https://imgur.com/a/AL18a

Last edited by gentleclockdivider; 03-14-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:12 PM   #9
slipstick

The scale is a scale. But the chord paint function only paints the root chord of the selected scale. You are then at liberty to move the painted chord up or down to any other note in the scale. That's just how that feature works.

It might be nice to have a function that does what you want...but that isn't what this function does.

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:18 PM   #10
gentleclockdivider

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
But the chord paint function only paints the root chord of the selected scale.

Steve
That's what I thought .
Thanks ..