Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 11-27-2020, 02:10 PM   #1
Stringer
Human being with feelings

Default Solved: New JSFX plugs don't show up

I recently upgraded Linux Mint to 20 and I had to reinstall a lot of things. I put a couple of mrelwood jsfx plugs in home/opt/Reaper/InstallData/effects/mrelewood. Reaper could not see them. I tried rescanning. No luck. Then I saw that there was a new version of Reaper, 6.16, so I installed that. The two plugs, AmpEra and Mothercomp, showed up! And they work!

However, now I have installed some other mrelwood plugs and some Sonic Anomaly plugs. They do not show up. Do I have to reinstall Reaper to make new JFSX plugins show up? There must be another way.

Thanks.

Last edited by Stringer; 11-27-2020 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Problem solved
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:09 PM   #2
JamesPeters

You're doing it wrong. There's a menu option in Reaper to figure out where you need to install JS plugins (and where all the configuration files are for the current install), no matter what OS you use and what HDD configuration you decided to use.

From the Reaper menu: Options -> Show Reaper resource folder in explorer/finder. JS effects are meant to go into the "Effects" folder that's in there. (On my system it's the folder /home/james/.config/REAPER/).

The folder you had used is the one which is sort of a "temporary" folder which is made after the install. Stuff is dumped there from the install but not yet placed into the folders it needs to go. When you start Reaper for the first time after an install (including an update), it looks to that folder (on my system it's /home/(my_user_name)/opt/REAPER/) and copies files from it to the /home/(my_user_name)/.config/REAPER/ folder. That's why you are sometimes seeing the plugins and sometimes aren't. You placed them into an "install" folder of sorts.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 11-27-2020 at 05:22 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:03 PM   #3
Stringer

Default Thanks

That worked! I knew I was doing something stupid. The two folders look very similar.

Thanks