Old 11-09-2020, 09:56 AM   #1
Danny Medina
Human being with feelings

Default Lv2, laspda, etc support?

Does reaper support lv2 plugins? Or any linix native plugin? I cant get it to work with calf plugins or any other linux native plugin.
The plugins i use and like to use are:
Yoshimi
Helm
Calf plugins
1 Corinthians 1:31
Danny Medina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:09 AM   #2
Glennbo

Reaper only supports native Linux VST/VSTi plugins, which are increasing in numbers all the time. Helm is available as a native Linux VSTi, but I don't know about the others.

As for LV2 and ladspa plugins, those can be run in Carla, which isn't as slick as LinVST, but works.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:17 AM   #3
Danny Medina

Hmmm, I hear ya. Ill check out that helm linux vst.. As for the others, ouch.
1 Corinthians 1:31
Danny Medina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:10 AM   #4
martblek

hello,
try lv2vst
martblek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:38 AM   #5
PMan

Greetings Danny Medina!

Yeah, the Calf plugins are great, but they won't run without something like lv2vst or Carla.

Same with Yoshimi. But you can get ZynAddSubFX (Yoshimi started as a fork of ZynAddSubFX) from KX Studios - https://kx.studio/Repositories:Plugins (at the bottom of the page). It's a .deb file, and it installs itself in /opt and uses symlinks to make it show up in /usr/lib/vst. If you're running Ubuntu or some other distro that uses .deb packages, it will be a 1-click install.

Many of the patch banks of those two great sounding synths are the same (but you cannot load a Yoshimi preset file into ZynAddSubFX, and vise versa).

There are a lot of great free vst synths and FX for Linux. A lot of great commercial ones, too.

Welcome, and Good luck!
PMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 10:20 AM   #6
fsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Medina View Post
Hmmm, I hear ya. Ill check out that helm linux vst.. As for the others, ouch.
Don't forget to check out Dexed vst also, a very nice DX7 emulation.
A guy named Black Whinney (I think thats his name)? Did a nice collection of .syx files "Dexed Cart 1.0" has too many presets lol
fsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 03:05 AM   #7
shosty

I really wish there was native lv2 support. I don't understand why most/all proprietary daws don't implement it.
shosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:51 PM   #8
4duhwinnn

Plugin formats each have their benefits and perils for coders.
Since coders already have a bunch of troublesome formats to deal with to supply paying customers, it's not easy to convince them to suppoert linux plugin standards, especially if profits are not expected. If lv2vst gets as good as linvst, there's little point to reinvent the lv2 wheel. I don't know how many extra commercial daw licenses would sell if one dev decides to add full lv2 support, but between Harrison, Bitwig, and Reaper, I think Reaper would be the best candidate to succeed and break even, or boost possibly boost sales somewhat. especially if some volunteer coders were willing to be brought on board to make sense of things.

Partnering between hardware and software providers may be a wildcard,
to have a viable lv2 product range, but egos are often lumbering giants wearing blinders while swinging a mace...when the race goes to the swiftest
and wisest visionaries.

A really good editor for the U-he civilization eurorack might be an
interesting project, even if lv2 codes were not needed.
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 12:48 AM   #9
s wave

Try using the EXTERNAL EDITOR as a great work around. Put an editor like Audacity in it... then load Calf plugins into Aduacity - one click brings in a copy and you are up and going! ? You can use many editors and plugins this way...
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:30 PM   #10
sokcoc 969

It's high time Reaper implemented LV2 support, what technical difficulties prevent the team from doing it?
sokcoc 969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:02 PM   #11
mike@overtonedsp

At the present time VST2 / VST3 is actually more widely supported on Linux than LV2. (I was involved in adding some basic VST support to ardour, and I reasoned that as a plug-in developer it would be more efficient to support an existing cross-platform standard than - at the time - another very 'linux specific' format - LV2.
A significant number of existing VST plug-ins for other OS had already been developed using JUCE, which could compile Linux VSTs natively with relatively little extra effort - therefore, it seemed worth the investment in development time to help bring VST support to one of the major Linux DAWs, in the hope it would also bring more plug-ins (and developers) to Linux and help build the 'ecosystem').
VST3 has a more flexible license which is better suited to Linux and open source than VST2, and most, if not all Linux host applications support it or VST2, so the question might be why not ask the developers of Linux LV2 plug-ins to port their work to VST3 instead?
(In fact most LV2 plug-ins are open source, so in theory anyone could port them to VST3)
mike@overtonedsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:16 PM   #12
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@overtonedsp View Post
. . . the question might be why not ask the developers of Linux LV2 plug-ins to port their work to VST3 instead?
This ^^^^

Plus add the developers of Windows and Mac VST/VSTi plugins to port their stuff to Linux.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote