Old 03-28-2024, 03:06 PM   #1
prototypicalDave
Human being with feelings

Default osc: sending relative versus absolute values

Hello all,
I'm having a specific issue with using OSC sent from a controller to control TCP faders and pan knobs with relative values.
I am doing this by mapping the controller to the action: Track: Set volume for selected tracks (MIDI CC/OSC only)

I have searched through this forum and all docs I am aware of and I haven't ben able to find any info.

What I am attempting to do is to be able to select a track and adjust the tracks volume by adjusting it's current value. If I turn the knob, the value should increase or decrease starting from it's initial state.
I can get close using absolute values, but the faders and knobs jump to whatever the current controller value is and that's really not ideal.

What is actually happening when I use relative values is that the value jumps to it's maximum or minimum value. depending on which way the controller is spun.

This is interesting in that it only seems to happen in the context of the TCP. I have been able to get it to work just fine in the context of plugins.
It works very well in ReaEq for instance.

Since it works in one section of the application and not others, I don't think that it's a device specific issue, but I may be wrong.
I am nearly certain that it's user error and I'm hoping one of you all will have a good idea of what I'm ignorant of.

For context this is the controller that I am using:
https://www.nobcontrol.com/

Last edited by prototypicalDave; 03-28-2024 at 03:12 PM.
prototypicalDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM   #2
philcee
Human being with feelings

I hope someone will provide some good insights here. I've been having a similar issue. My midi controller is mapped to control parameters in a VSTi synth, but when i want to record it to an automation lane, the knob on the automation lane just jumps around in a jittery fashion, indicating that the CC data is wrongfully interpreted. First i had the controls assigned using the VSTi's mapping function, then I looked into using Reaper's learn mode on the FX window and selecting different CC modes when doing so. Nothing seems to help, i get pure jitter on the automation lane.
philcee is offline   Reply With Quote