Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 03-25-2020, 08:51 AM   #1
PhelixK
Human being with feelings

Default A few questions on how to show some theme elements

I am trying to check or edit some elements, but can't find a way to show them in the UI ..
If perhaps some of you have information I’ll be very grateful

1) Media Item Button, volume,
How can I enable and reveal this little button: "item_vol_on / off"?
-The Item Volume Control knob has its own indication when active, so what's the usage of this other green one?

2) Transport status text, cropped "TC SYNC"
- is there a way to resize only this line of text in RT for v6?
It is also cut off in the Classic_1x theme, but not in Standard 5.

3) Midi Editor > List,
How to engage and view inactive rows and text?
I would expect this to work with comping, but it doesn’t here. Perhaps a setting somewhere?

4) Generic Solo button,
How / where to engage and show the generic solo function: "gen_solo_on / off"?
-there are other buttons for solo, but this one I haven't seen in action

5) Master Mixer, “meter_strip_v_rms” (8 color bars in total)
How can I check the four colors on the right indicating overload?
–I tried to use multi-channel and extra AUX sends, but it doesn’t show.

For overs and clip in the rms readout, there is another element called "meter_clip_v_rms2" and the meter works as expected. Probably this element is used, if it is there. Still, the other four (bg + clip) colors are a mystery to me!

Here's a collage showing the elements, as found in the resources for the default 6 theme.

Last edited by PhelixK; 03-25-2020 at 09:47 AM.
PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:29 AM   #2
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post
1) Media Item Button, volume,
How can I enable and reveal this little button: "item_vol_on / off"?
Afaik, the item_vol_on and item_vol images were used together as media item volume buttons in some older Reaper versions.

Quote:
2) Transport status text, cropped "TC SYNC"
I haven't dealt with this enough to say for sure. Hope somebody else has insight into this...

Quote:
3) Midi Editor > List,
How to engage and view inactive rows and text?
Switch MIDI editor to Event list mode. Rows in there become inactive when you have the focus somewhere else than on the Event list.

Quote:
4) Generic Solo button,
How / where to engage and show the generic solo function: "gen_solo_on / off"?
With default 6 theme, you see them in action in the TCP. But if you rename or remove them from the theme, track_solo_off, track_solo_on and related overlay images (if any) are used instead.

gen_solo_off (sliced-button): If not found, falls back to track_solo_off.
gen_solo_on (sliced-button): If not found, falls back to track_solo_on.

REAPER Theme Development

Quote:
5) Master Mixer, “meter_strip_v_rms” (8 color bars in total)
How can I check the four colors on the right indicating overload?
Record arm a track and check the different states. In your strip image the letters go from left to right:

a. Unlit. The background of the strip.
b. Lit. Will be swiped over to indicate signal.
c. Clipped Unlit. The background of the strip, when the channel has clipped.
d. Clipped Lit. Will be swiped over to indicate signal, when the channel has clipped.
e. Armed Unlit. The background of the strip, when the channel is armed.
f. Armed Lit. Will be swiped over to indicate signal, when the channel is armed.
g. Armed & Clipped Unlit. The background of the strip, when the channel is armed
and has clipped.
h. Armed & Clipped Lit. Will be swiped over to indicate signal, when the channel is
armed and has clipped.

Those four last ones won't apply for the Master track, since you cannot record arm the master track. But they could still be useful in that if you wouldn't have the regular strip images (meter_strip_v.png in this case), meter_strip_v_rms image will be used instead.

How do I change the VU meter color
Walter Themers Guide pg. 31.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:53 AM   #3
PhelixK

Thank you very much for your time and info xpander !

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Afaik, the item_vol_on and item_vol images were used together as media item volume buttons in some older Reaper versions.
I was thinking that as well, those symbols were probably done a very long time ago, and copied over more than once.

Quote:
I haven't dealt with this enough to say for sure. Hope somebody else has insight into this...
I remember from the pre-v6 alpha discussion, it's a consequence of several things with the new design and Walter. I just mentioned it again here, hoping that someone might have found a way to adjust this part -it catches my eye! In any case, it's a minor issue.

Quote:
Switch MIDI editor to Event list mode. Rows in there become inactive when you have the focus somewhere else than on the Event list.
oh yes, I see it now in the Event List view and if using the filter. Here I need to refresh the window to see color changes on inactive rows. Apparently there's some retention time, and at first I didn't notice that.

Quote:
With default 6 theme, you see them in action in the TCP. But if you rename or remove them from the theme, track_solo_off, track_solo_on and related overlay images (if any) are used instead.
thank you, I tried to force the generic solo button by excluding all other, but then the UI falls back to Classic_1x and the generic variant still doesn’t show. Since I have already redesigned all other variations, I believe this will not be problematic for my theme build.

Quote:
Record arm a track and check the different states. In your strip image the letters go from left to right:..
Those four last ones won't apply for the Master track, since you cannot record arm the master track. But they could still be useful in that if you wouldn't have the regular strip images (meter_strip_v.png in this case), meter_strip_v_rms image will be used instead.
Yes,
I've already looked into that page in terms of color strip a-h. I also came to the conclusion that the Master Meter (in the Mixer, not the Track Master) will not display the last four as it cannot be armed. Therefore I tried multi-channel to see if that would trigger the last four color bars.

For track meters I already did the strips a-h, and they work as expected, also with armed tracks using e-h for overs, background and peak.

Here, on the Master (mixer), the strip used for peak (inner beams) is by default using the same theme element as used for meter strip on regular tracks. And the RMS meter (outside beams) is only partly using the “v_rms” strip. This confuses me a bit, since it would be more logical if a-d was inner and f-h outer, or vice versa.

–Maybe all this is a little confusing to talk about without examples, so just to round up once again, everything works as expected here, only e-h of the 'v_rms' strip does not seem to be used.

I've now redesigned and double-checked more than 400 new theme elements, and these were the only ones left in doubt. Once the theme is released there will probably be other things I haven't even thought of, not too many I hope!

Last edited by PhelixK; 03-28-2020 at 07:04 AM.
PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:07 AM   #4
kaylec

Oh, does this mean you’re getting close?
kaylec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:07 AM   #5
xpander

Quote:
I've now redesigned and double-checked more than 400 new theme elements, and these were the only ones left in doubt. Once the theme is released there will probably be other things I haven't even thought of, not too many I hope!
Kudos for your efforts PhelixK, paying attention to ever smaller details easily forgotten while fine tuning a theme.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:28 AM   #6
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylec View Post
Oh, does this mean you’re getting close?
Hi, yes it's getting a lot closer, I've completed all elements and started compiling the theme for external tests.

Quote:
Kudos for your efforts PhelixK, paying attention to ever smaller details easily forgotten while fine tuning a theme.
:-)

Old 03-28-2020, 07:45 AM   #7
kaylec

Quote:
Yes! This, PhelixK. I love your attention to detail in your theme design.
kaylec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:58 AM   #8
PhelixK

Quote:
2) Transport status text, cropped "LTC SYNC"
It is also cut off in the Classic_1x theme, but not in Standard 5.
Quoting myself here,
I discovered that the cropping only exists on macOS, not Win, and if someone encounters the same problem with cropped text in transport, then here's a possible way to fix it.

I was convinced that os_type == 0 is for making corrections to Windows only, but adding this second line in rtconfig apparently has an effect on macOS. Now the text looks fine here, on both systems,

Code:
set trans.status.margin        os_type==1 * scale [0 4 0 -4 0] [0 0 0 0 0]
set trans.status.margin        os_type==0 * scale [0 0 0 0] [0 0 0 0 0]
Old 03-30-2020, 01:55 PM   #9
lucas_LCS

Quote:
I discovered that the cropping only exists on macOS, not Win..
Excellent find, PhelixK.
You should post this in the latest development thread so it gets addressed in the next Reaper update:

https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37

::
Old 03-31-2020, 02:15 AM   #10
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
Excellent find, PhelixK.
You should post this in the latest development thread so it gets addressed in the next Reaper update:

https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37

yes good idea, I'll inform the devs, that the os_type may be wrong for this object. But to be honest I'm not sure if this is a bug in Walter, the program code, or me not knowing the correct way to adjust this element .. would be nice if someone else could confirm it is swapped.

I will also collect and report my other findings below, hopefully in time for the spring cleaning

Old 03-31-2020, 04:49 AM   #11
lucas_LCS

Quote:
... to be honest I'm not sure if this is a bug in Walter, the program code, or me not knowing the correct way to adjust this element ..
If your work is based on the Reaper 6 WALTER code, then make sure you are working with the code from latest version: Reaper 6.07.
If you are, then post your finding in the newest DEV thread so White Tie is sure to see it or at least gets notified about.
He will then sort it out for you or fix it for the next release.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:48 AM   #12
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
If your work is based on the Reaper 6 WALTER code, then make sure you are working with the code from latest version: Reaper 6.07.
If you are, then post your finding in the newest DEV thread so White Tie is sure to see it or at least gets notified about.
He will then sort it out for you or fix it for the next release.

Right on!
–usually I compare for any differences in concern of scripts and theme config. TA and RT for 605 and 607 (GM) are identical. I believe the latest update to RT was for the linear pan knob and the knob scaling (that you reported). Are you aware of other changes since then?

Old 03-31-2020, 07:50 PM   #13
lucas_LCS

none that I know of.
White Tie has requested that we state what version of the RTCONFIG & Theme Adjuster is used in a custom theme so users will know if it has any of the current fixes at the time of download.