Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 06-07-2017, 09:28 AM   #41
DaveKeehl
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinmadero View Post
hello dave, i sent my mix a few days ago, to the reaper.contest(at)gmail
is this a valid way to send, or i may upload in the contest site?
sorry Martin I forgot to answer you email. Yes I got it. It's fine to use the email, the website it's just a quicker way
Old 06-07-2017, 01:33 PM   #42
MacFizz

Yep, sent, it finally worked...
MacFizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:58 PM   #43
DaveKeehl

thank you
Old 06-13-2017, 10:40 AM   #44
DaveKeehl

still a week
Old 06-18-2017, 08:21 AM   #45
DaveKeehl

2 days left guys how is it going?
Old 06-18-2017, 02:26 PM   #46
Lunganar

Very tired, but I tried do mix something in little time. Maybe it helped to not to overdo things
Lunganar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 02:42 PM   #47
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunganar View Post
Very tired, but I tried do mix something in little time. Maybe it helped to not to overdo things
thanks got it and stored on my hard drive
Old 06-19-2017, 02:04 AM   #48
germano

Send mine from the site.
germano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:11 AM   #49
REAmix

I didn't have time this month to submit an entry, but I'll try and cast a vote, when the time comes.
REAmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:24 AM   #50
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by germano View Post
Send mine from the site.
thank you Germano! Always a pleasure to have you
Old 06-19-2017, 09:24 AM   #51
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAmix View Post
I didn't have time this month to submit an entry, but I'll try and cast a vote, when the time comes.
don't worry dude, thanks anyway if you find time to vote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:06 PM   #52
BJORG

Sending is in progress. Even it was hard to find some time, because of the warm weather and our beautiful swimming lake...
BJORG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:55 PM   #53
Fergler

This was a tough one. Good luck everyone!
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:40 AM   #54
MacFizz

Is it me or we can't download the playlist ?
MacFizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:46 AM   #55
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFizz View Post
Is it me or we can't download the playlist ?
give me a few hours and it's all going to be online and downloadable
Old 06-21-2017, 03:09 AM   #56
DaveKeehl

Ok from this moment I'm not going to accept any other submissions!
Old 06-21-2017, 06:08 AM   #57
msundh

First time I'm going to vote without participating.
Strange not knowing what missing.
Did a quick listen and there was not much variation, hardly none. Found that strange.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:40 AM   #58
REAmix

I just want to take a stab at this for the record. I think that ID01 is Fergler's. Not because of good/bad necessarily but because of style.

Idk if I'll end up being right about that, but I think I recognize something about the Fergler mixing style.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #59
DaveKeehl

Quote:
I think that ID01 is Fergler's
well you're wrong
Old 06-21-2017, 02:20 PM   #60
REAmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
well you're wrong
Lol. DAMMIT! So much for that I guess.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:25 PM   #61
martinmadero

Send my votes..
The ID06 has a -12.8 LUFS
martinmadero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:22 PM   #62
msundh

I also sent my votes. Some that mixed stems instead of the song, missed my votes.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:32 AM   #63
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Send my votes..
The ID06 has a -12.8 LUFS
sorry to hear that. I stopped checking the loudness because I "trusted" you but it seems that from next month I have to pretend to be spotify or youtube and normalize all the entries to the same lufs. That way, who did it correctly won't be affected at all but the others will. I don't see any other solutions...
Old 06-23-2017, 10:43 AM   #64
REAmix

How does normalize work exactly? You set the LUFS you want, it makes sure the song averages out that way? What if that creates clipping? How does YouTube and Spotify do it? Same thing?

I personally think that the best thing, is to do exactly that, even if everyone DID follow the rules. I mean, it would be interesting to see what Spotify or YouTube or whatever will do to your song to fit their standard. Which is usually around 13-14 LUFS.

The only downside, is that it's more work for you. Otherwise, especially if you can just batch Normalize after you received all the entries, I think that's definitely the best thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
I also sent my votes. Some that mixed stems instead of the song, missed my votes.
Not sure what you mean here. Aren't they all stems?
Old 06-23-2017, 10:55 AM   #65
martinmadero

for this month, i attempt to do a mix to its render goes to the -14.0 LUFS..
personally i think it sounds very different (and better) if you could do the normalize in the mixing process instead to do a mix that goes to -10 LUFS, for example, and then normalize it in another process.
so, it goes to the concept to do a mix, and approach to choice wich sound more loud or not in a global listening.
i think this is the way im going for to the next mixes
Old 06-23-2017, 01:34 PM   #66
DaveKeehl

Quote:
How does normalize work exactly? You set the LUFS you want, it makes sure the song averages out that way? What if that creates clipping? How does YouTube and Spotify do it? Same thing?
Normalization consists in raising (or lowering) the volume of the selected item until the loudest peak meets 0 dB or the volume you specify.
So, to answer you question about clipping: yes and no. Let's take an entry that has a max short-term of -14.5 lufs. If you normalized it to -14 lufs, the song will be raised of 0.5 lufs. In this case, if the song was limited to -0.1 dB, then there will be a lot of clipping. But if you left a fair amount of headroom limiting to -1 dB, then you don't have to worry.

Good resource about this: link

Quote:
I personally think that the best thing, is to do exactly that, even if everyone DID follow the rules.
Exactly. It will be also a good practice for everyone, since that kind of mastering is the future.

Quote:
The only downside, is that it's more work for you.
Not really. I still bring all the entries into a fresh project every time, so it makes no difference to me and it's not even a long process either.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:35 PM   #67
Tod

I personally think everyone should be responsible for their own mix, it's part of learning how to get things right.

Karbo has posted a great application that can do this very well the "Orban Loudness Meter". Use that and you can make your mixes completely compliant.

When a mix is hotter than it should be, it can definitely influence how you vote, hotter mixes tend to sound better, and they usually do to me, until I bring them down, and put them on an even playing field. When I was voting, I would turn down the louder mixes until they conformed to my own mix, which was right on and I knew it, because I did pay attention, it was -14dB UFS with a peak of -.05dB.

I really don't think this is something Dave should have to do, just learn how to do it yourself.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:58 PM   #68
REAmix

Quote:
Normalization consists in raising (or lowering) the volume of the selected item until the loudest peak meets 0 dB or the volume you specify.
So, to answer you question about clipping: yes and no. Let's take an entry that has a max short-term of -14.5 lufs. If you normalized it to -14 lufs, the song will be raised of 0.5 lufs. In this case, if the song was limited to -0.1 dB, then there will be a lot of clipping. But if you left a fair amount of headroom limiting to -1 dB, then you don't have to worry.

Good resource about this: link

Exactly. It will be also a good practice for everyone, since that kind of mastering is the future.

Not really. I still bring all the entries into a fresh project every time, so it makes no difference to me and it's not even a long process either.
The LUFS measurement is over the whole song though, so normalization would need to be pretty clever, in order to level the whole song so that over the whole duration, it will be -14 LUFS.

I don't know how YouTube would do this, because if YouTube tried to Normalize an old recording up to -14 LUFS, they would either need a mastering engineer, or maybe just a really great limiter at least, like the IDR IV one iZotope has in ozone7, or there will be clipping.

Turning something down, I get it, but you would need a good program that would first of all measure the whole song in LUFS, and then adjust it accordingly, and if that means it needs to go louder, then it would need to apply limiting.

What's the process you use when you normalize?

My understand was that Orban measured the song, bout would not Normalize the whole thing to given LUFS. I would personally prefer to do it myself with limiting, but YouTube and the such must do it automatically and consistently

Quote:
for this month, i attempt to do a mix to its render goes to the -14.0 LUFS..
personally i think it sounds very different (and better) if you could do the normalize in the mixing process instead to do a mix that goes to -10 LUFS, for example, and then normalize it in another process.
so, it goes to the concept to do a mix, and approach to choice wich sound more loud or not in a global listening.
i think this is the way im going for to the next mixes
I think you're right. Sometimes you might be able to submit something of the correct LUFS to somewhere like Soundcloud, or YouTube, but other times, your music might get normalized without your knowledge. Still though, I think around 13.5 is really the general ideal to go for.

Last edited by REAmix; 06-23-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:28 PM   #69
msundh

The stems includes the beginning of the next song. I found it sloppy to not remove that.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:39 AM   #70
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
The stems includes the beginning of the next song. I found it sloppy to not remove that.
yeah I didn't like that either
Old 06-24-2017, 01:48 AM   #71
DaveKeehl

Quote:
The LUFS measurement is over the whole song though, so normalization would need to be pretty clever, in order to level the whole song so that over the whole duration, it will be -14 LUFS.
Well yes. Obviously the whole song is measured. I don't know what loudness meter you use, but I like the Youlean Loudness Meter. If you look at its graph, you can see exactly at what point the song is getting above your target lufs. If you apply normalization, the song won't be -14 all the time. I think there are a lot of myths about normalization, when in reality is very simple.

Quote:
Turning something down, I get it, but you would need a good program that would first of all measure the whole song in LUFS, and then adjust it accordingly, and if that means it needs to go louder, then it would need to apply limiting.
I assume they have all sorts of magical algorithms that specifically take care of this.

Quote:
What's the process you use when you normalize?
Do you mean in general or how I would normalize the entries? If you mean the second question, then I would use the SWS Loudness tool.

Quote:
YouTube and the such must do it automatically and consistently.
Yes. But I wouldn't rely on their automatic normalization. I prefer uploading a song on Youtube that is already compliant with their rules, in order to reduce the risk of having the song ruined by their algorithms.

Last edited by DaveKeehl; 06-24-2017 at 01:54 AM.
DaveKeehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:00 AM   #72
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
I personally think everyone should be responsible for their own mix, it's part of learning how to get things right.

I really don't think this is something Dave should have to do, just learn how to do it yourself.
Hey Tod! Nice to see you! I perfectly understand your thoughts, but it's really apparent that every time we have the same problem... If people don't respect the rules, something has to be done in a way or another, don't you think?
Old 06-24-2017, 10:56 AM   #73
Tod

Quote:
Hey Tod! Nice to see you! I perfectly understand your thoughts, but it's really apparent that every time we have the same problem... If people don't respect the rules, something has to be done in a way or another, don't you think?
Hi Dave, yeah, you're right.

Maybe a better way to put would be to encourage everybody to learn how to reach the target UFS and Peak values. They will not only learn a lot and become better engineers and mixers, but also feel good for doing it right.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:01 AM   #74
karbomusic

Quote:
That's exactly right. I have *not* read the posts that led to your reply so excuse any lack of context...

The fun stuff is the minority of what needs to be done when producing any product, including a mix. If we don't task ourselves to learn how to create output to match some criteria we didn't get choose (and learn a few details about the craft), we not going to be able to produce mixes consistently or be able to work with others. Ignoring all of this is fine for the bedroom of course but most probably want someone other than themselves to hear it.

Much of this entire process is delivering the final end-to-end result to someone else; so it is of high importance to be able to meet someone else's requirements upon request and without complaint. The contest rules is a great place to start.

Last edited by karbomusic; 06-24-2017 at 11:06 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:02 PM   #75
Fergler

*SLAPS FORHEAD* I muted [a track (edited to avoid exposing which mix is mine].

If there aren't too many votes yet and I could sneak in a correction that'd be nice, otherwise just take it out of the running... derp. AsDave knows I also forgot some IR files so I really screwed this one up! XD

Btw on the topic of normalization, there is so much difference between the submission imo that volume is the last thing I notice. There were certainly some tracks louder than others, but my focus was drawn to things much more obvious like loud toms, that damn snare drum (so.. ugly..) and the vocal processing. I did find myself using volume control on my computer while listening.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:15 AM   #76
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
*SLAPS FORHEAD* I muted [a track (edited to avoid exposing which mix is mine].

If there aren't too many votes yet and I could sneak in a correction that'd be nice, otherwise just take it out of the running... derp. AsDave knows I also forgot some IR files so I really screwed this one up! XD

Btw on the topic of normalization, there is so much difference between the submission imo that volume is the last thing I notice. There were certainly some tracks louder than others, but my focus was drawn to things much more obvious like loud toms, that damn snare drum (so.. ugly..) and the vocal processing. I did find myself using volume control on my computer while listening.
oh shit Fergler I'm sorry xD I think at this point, even changing your file won't make any difference since there is only 1-2 days left to vote You've received a few votes nonetheless xD
Old 06-28-2017, 02:22 PM   #77
martinmadero

Voting is closed?
It´s almost!
Old 06-29-2017, 08:37 AM   #78
DaveKeehl

I've got the results
Old 06-29-2017, 03:02 PM   #79
REAmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
That's exactly right. I have *not* read the posts that led to your reply so excuse any lack of context...

The fun stuff is the minority of what needs to be done when producing any product, including a mix. If we don't task ourselves to learn how to create output to match some criteria we didn't get choose (and learn a few details about the craft), we not going to be able to produce mixes consistently or be able to work with others. Ignoring all of this is fine for the bedroom of course but most probably want someone other than themselves to hear it.

Much of this entire process is delivering the final end-to-end result to someone else; so it is of high importance to be able to meet someone else's requirements upon request and without complaint. The contest rules is a great place to start.
Can't argue with that. But if people aren't meeting the requirements, then their tracks should be normalized, just like real life when you send your file to Spotify or YouTube, and it might not come out how you'd hoped.

If they don't follow the conditions, and their tracks aren't changed, and if that gives them an edge and gets them votes, it would be the opposite of teaching them to follow the criteria, and would penalize the people that did.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:12 PM   #80
REAmix

Quote:

Do you mean in general or how I would normalize the entries? If you mean the second question, then I would use the SWS Loudness tool.

Ah, I see. I didn't realize there was a tool like that in reaper. That's not so bad, workload wise, especially if you're going to make a project to export anyway. I wonder what that tool does for a track that's too quiet in so far as LUFS, but with a wide dynamic range that peaks near 0.