Old 05-14-2019, 04:33 PM   #121
heda
Human being with feelings

Thank you everyone.
You always find strange comments on the Internet. I don't force anyone to install anything. An offline REAPER DAW without any script is also great. And better if it does great music... I guess that depends on the composer, unless REAPER 6 starts to compose itself with advanced artificial intelligence. Sorry I cannot get it out of my head having watched some videos about AI... we are doomed ... nah...

@Pinknoise, I guess I can make an Update all one click button to update all scripts with 1 click, but I don't do as many updates so most of the time you only need to click one or two

@Skorobagatko
but dragging is not new on this update. I didn't explain well in the changelog. The new thing is that inserting FX Chains is faster than before because it uses native API functions now available, instead of manual chunk editing which is always slower and more dangerous. So dragging or clicking, it should work fast for big FX chains now.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:39 PM   #122
_Stevie_

HeDa: would it also be possible to "apply" track templates to an existing track instead of creating a new one?
Old 05-14-2019, 04:47 PM   #123
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
HeDa: would it also be possible to "apply" track templates to an existing track instead of creating a new one?
I don't think so. It always inserts the template. Why do you want to apply a track template to an existing track? An example? Maybe something can be done, but not using the API which always inserts the track or tracks. Remember track templates can have multiple tracks, folders even hidden tracks with routing an everything... For what you want you may want to insert FX Chain into existing tracks. Which is the TT button that switches to FX Chains mode.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:56 PM   #124
_Stevie_

Hm, okay let me explain:

I'm using "dummy tracks", which already have some pre-defined routing (send FX, VCA assginments) and I basically only want to change the VSTi (+ an existing FX
if there are any in the preset) + applying the track name in the preset.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:03 PM   #125
Klangfarben

Hi Heda, to also chime in on what Stevie said, it's also because we need to see the existing folder structure of our template and put the track template in a specific place. All my routing is done via folders and sub-folders so that I have different levels of stems.

So I want to just be able to click on an existing folder track and have it put all the correct child tracks inside without creating an entire new track and thus the routing gets changed.

Just to give you an idea I have 88 mix stems, 32 recording stems and 8 presentation stems, so it's a lot of folders. Those folders are all pre-created in my template so that the routing and folder structure remain intact. It's also hard to know what tracks you want to insert if the folder structure you are used to seeing isn't there. It's really the "road map" of the entire template.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:23 PM   #126
heda

I see. Yes. I think it should be a new type of FX Chain that includes some additional information like track name, maybe track icon or Track inspector tags too. Then when using this format into an existing track, remove current FX chain, maintain routing, then insert the FX chain, and change the track name and track icon, update tags, maintaining the rest of properties like VCA grouping. I think it is possible to create this hybrid track+fxchain template and it will be interesting.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:37 PM   #127
Klangfarben

If I could have a track tag assigned to an existing folder track in TI and it automatically then put in the track template tracks for that folder that would be so brilliant. If I could actually do that from one of the TI panels that would be even more brilliant.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:00 PM   #128
_Stevie_

Could we also have the ability to do the following:

- type in a search term
- enter jumps to results
- cursor keys navigate thru results
- enter key loads template
Old 05-15-2019, 06:36 AM   #129
winbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
update v1.1pre6
now inserting FX chains should be as fast as it can be It was really slow before. Please test.
also, when dragging to tracks or to items, if there are selected tracks or selected items, it will insert the fx chain into all selected tracks or items(active take)

* v1.1pre6 (2019-05-13)
+ Insert FX Chains much faster (clicking, dragging to track, or dragging to item take)
+ Support dragging FX Chains into multiple selected tracks and multiple selected items
# fix: font fix search box

Wow excellent!!
I have a very minor request: is there some way we could be notified when such great improvements are done? No big deal, I can check the forum regularly.
I am impatient to try this!!
Old 05-15-2019, 06:42 AM   #130
winbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Best advantage is installing nothing made by heda, unless it does not force anything on users, like some manager.
Well, some time ago, I was in the same position, wondering why this was outside of Reapack, why I had to pay and get a separate installer... and I decided not to use Heda's products just for that.

But seeing recently an animated gif of someone complaining about the lack of a native nice Fx browser.. showing Template manager, I decided to make a donation and try the product, and I don't regret it, it totally changed my workflow, I totally love it!

My complain would be that yes, I am only interested in the "fxchain" part, and I had to pay for that. I discovered that it was a bit slow.. but hey, tada, a few days later, fixed!

I am happy to (very modestly) support talented developers such as Hector!
Old 05-15-2019, 12:07 PM   #131
winbe

oh no, I was so excited to test new release 1.1pre6 that I did not check the box offering to do a backup...

and now I have a 1.1pre6 that does not work and says:

"bad argument #2 to 'TrackFX_AddByName' (string expected, got nil)"

I am sure this will be sorted out quickly

(I just opened a new project, new track, and tried to insert fxchains..with latest available Reaper version, that is 5.978 - SW extension also says I am up to date..)

Last edited by winbe; 05-15-2019 at 12:12 PM.
winbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:36 PM   #132
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbe View Post
"bad argument #2 to 'TrackFX_AddByName' (string expected, got nil)"
mmm I haven't tested this but I think this could be that you are trying to insert FX Chains that are from outside the FXChains subfolder? You can have FX Chains in subfolders inside FXChains folder. I need to try if it is possible to insert from outside this folder.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:41 PM   #133
winbe

Quote:
mmm I haven't tested this but I think this could be that you are trying to insert FX Chains that are from outside the FXChains subfolder? You can have FX Chains in subfolders inside FXChains folder. I need to try if it is possible to insert from outside this folder.
Oooh yes
I was really happy, with the previous version, as it was a breeze to organize things, as you can choose any folder anywhere.. and it works!
So I decided NOT to use the default reaper fxchains, this way I can keep things tidy!
And I used subfolders, for each category.

EDIT: Well this version still allow to define the path to the fxChains directory... but I put the standard directory, and it works!
So I guess I can, for now, find a way (I'll use a mklink /j as I very often do to organize things as I want them to be)

EDIT2: I tried the mklink /j trick, and it works. So now maybe you should remove the possibility to chose our own fxchains directory as this does not seem to work.

Thanks for your quick answer! And I tried the VSti insertion => really fast now, this is sooo cool!!

Last edited by winbe; 05-15-2019 at 02:48 PM.
winbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:22 AM   #134
heda

Thanks winbe
I can't make it work outside the FXchains directory with the new fast method of the API. So making links is a good solution for you.

I am not removing the possibility to define the fxchains directory, because it could be used in new instances that open directly to a specific folder(it should have to be subdirectory inside default FXChains directory) This way you can create actions that open directly to each subdirectory for example.

I forgot to answer you about the updates notifications. I didn't want the scripts to keep connecting to the Internet to check for updates. But maybe the manager could have an option that check once a day when starting REAPER for example. I'll think about it. Thanks!
Old 05-20-2019, 02:14 AM   #135
winbe

Quote:
Thanks winbe
I can't make it work outside the FXchains directory with the new fast method of the API. So making links is a good solution for you.
yes, it works like a charm!

Quote:
I forgot to answer you about the updates notifications. I didn't want the scripts to keep connecting to the Internet to check for updates. But maybe the manager could have an option that check once a day when starting REAPER for example. I'll think about it. Thanks!
oh, that would be an excellent idea!
Old 05-20-2019, 06:15 AM   #136
heda

Default v1.1pre7 (2019-05-20)

new update

* v1.1pre7 (2019-05-20)
+ Match FX Chain templates to Selected track names
# fix: do not crash when trying to insert FX Chains outside FXChains folder.

Please test the new match button. It will apply FX Chains to selected tracks if the name of the FX Chain is found in the name of the track. For example as a suffix or something. It doesn't need to match the entire name. So first select some tracks, and then press Match. It searches in all your FX Chains files. Let me know if it works well.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:47 AM   #137
Klangfarben

This looks great Heda! Will give this a try.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:27 AM   #138
_Stevie_

Maybe it's only me, but I can't see a match button.
Title bar says v1.1 pre7
Old 05-20-2019, 09:00 AM   #139
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Maybe it's only me, but I can't see a match button.
Title bar says v1.1 pre7
Match button is only displayed when using FX Chains, not Track Templates. Press the TT button to switch to FX Chains mode. Now that you mention it, maybe it should be better if the button is always displayed.

Last edited by heda; 05-20-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:53 PM   #140
_Stevie_

Doh, sorry, missed that part! Haha, checking again :P
Old 05-22-2019, 03:40 PM   #141
winbe

WOT? Again a nice update? Thanks Heda!!
When I think that some time ago I was in the boat of the guys complaining because of the separate Heda Manager, and whining...

I am sooo happy with this FX Chains thing.... it should be somehow integrated into Reaper!
Old 05-22-2019, 11:38 PM   #142
_Stevie_

Awesome HeDa, this works great already!
Now, I just need to re-save my track templates as FX chain templates
Old 05-23-2019, 02:27 AM   #143
heda

Yes... This works nice if you never touch any parameter in the plugins.
Now if we modify the fx chain, then we need a way to off load the fx chain to a file again, which is possible, but where to save it? I wouldn't touch the original FX Chains templates, but then maybe create a projects folder with the name of the project subfolder and save the fx chains there. That will be the next update.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:29 AM   #144
heda

Quote:
WOT? Again a nice update? Thanks Heda!!
When I think that some time ago I was in the boat of the guys complaining because of the separate Heda Manager, and whining...

I am sooo happy with this FX Chains thing.... it should be somehow integrated into Reaper!
wait... is there a boat full of these guys?
I'm happy you are happy. no resentment
Old 05-23-2019, 02:56 AM   #145
winbe

Quote:
wait... is there a boat full of these guys?
I'm happy you are happy. no resentment
yep, happy.
There are some minor bugs I noticed, or questions, should I post them here?
For instance: even if the Track Template window is behind another one, the tooltip showing the name of the FxChain under the mouse is still active
Can be funny/surprising, you are in ReaEq and when moving your mouse in ReaEq GUI you see the tooltips of the FxChains
Old 05-23-2019, 03:32 AM   #146
heda

Quote:
yep, happy.
There are some minor bugs I noticed, or questions, should I post them here?
Yes post here.
yes... I don't know how to detect if there is a window on top of the script window... so the best if you use it docked constantly visible is to disable tooltips for now. go to the menu and disable "Show tooltips".
The solution also could be to make own tooltips function that would be drawn on the script window instead of using system tooltips.
Thanks!
Old 05-23-2019, 03:57 AM   #147
Skorobagatko

Very nice addition with "match" function! Can we assign a shortcut for this button?
Skorobagatko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:04 AM   #148
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorobagatko View Post
Very nice addition with "match" function! Can we assign a shortcut for this button?
do you mean an action without opening the script window? No. At least not yet.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:13 AM   #149
Skorobagatko

Quote:
do you mean an action without opening the script window? No. At least not yet.
Yes, exactly that. What needs to be done to make it possible?
Skorobagatko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:34 AM   #150
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorobagatko View Post
Yes, exactly that. What needs to be done to make it possible?
wait for the next magical update.

I need to think how to do it efficiently without creating a new script for that.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:37 PM   #151
_Stevie_

Quote:
Yes... This works nice if you never touch any parameter in the plugins.
Now if we modify the fx chain, then we need a way to off load the fx chain to a file again, which is possible, but where to save it? I wouldn't touch the original FX Chains templates, but then maybe create a projects folder with the name of the project subfolder and save the fx chains there. That will be the next update.
Sorry, you lost me, maybe because it was a long day here. I think, I'm missing some important info here. Why should we not touch any parameter?
Old 05-24-2019, 04:16 AM   #152
heda

ah..._Stevie_ I didn't understand you when you said you need to resave track templates as FX Chains. Of course. This should be scriptable to convert them all quickly. Try MPL script https://github.com/MichaelPilyavskiy...X%20chains.lua

What is on my mind about offloading tracks from the RPP is this. When Freezing a track, the information of the plugins is still stored in the RPP, so when you unfreeze, nothing is lost. But if you freeze 1000 tracks, then the project saving times are still big for this reason. The idea is to render to STEMS and mute originals, but also removing the FX Chain to a external file in case you want to recover it. This way we could render all STEMS and remove all the plugins data from the RPP and project saving times will be small and smaller RPP files. But all this has to be as transparent to the user as Freezing/unfreezing.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:09 PM   #153
_Stevie_

Wow!!! What a brilliant idea! Outsourcing all the track data to an external file. This would not only be useful for freezing tracks, but also for deactivating tracks!
Old 07-27-2019, 11:03 PM   #154
Reflected

hey heda

i just notice it is impossible to drag and drop plugs to the mixer tracks

and also not working for fx window

can fix this?
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:06 AM   #155
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
hey heda

i just notice it is impossible to drag and drop plugs to the mixer tracks

and also not working for fx window

can fix this?
Sorry I forgot to reply
Yes. it seems there are some changes in the latest pre-releases that break the way it is done now. I'll fix it and hopefully it will be possible to drag to mixer and fx chain windows too. Thanks!
Old 08-02-2019, 10:02 AM   #156
heda

Default v1.1pre8 (2019-08-02)

* v1.1pre8 (2019-08-02)
# fix: drag and drop to tracks fix for v5.981
# fix: drag and drop to Mixer and FX Chains windows
Old 08-05-2019, 12:52 PM   #157
Reflected

Quote:
* v1.1pre8 (2019-08-02)
# fix: drag and drop to tracks fix for v5.981
# fix: drag and drop to Mixer and FX Chains windows
thanks heda

Can you also fix that for drag and drop to items?
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:38 AM   #158
heda

oh... true.. now it doesn't work dropping to items :/
SWS will need to be updated because BR_GetMouseCursorContext doesn't work now to check if we drop into an item. Or hopefully Cockos will provide an alternative native function.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:33 AM   #159
_Stevie_

Quote:
oh... true.. now it doesn't work dropping to items :/
SWS will need to be updated because BR_GetMouseCursorContext doesn't work now to check if we drop into an item. Or hopefully Cockos will provide an alternative native function.
Theres an alternative function in the API: GetItemFromPoint()
https://www.extremraym.com/cloud/rea...tItemFromPoint
Old 08-06-2019, 05:41 AM   #160
heda

ah... nice. thanks