Old 11-15-2016, 12:58 AM   #1
TimTips
Human being with feelings

Default Recording Issue Zoom H5, Reaper, Guitar

Hello! My name is Tim and I just started recording stuff at home. I am trying to record a guitar track and I can't solve an issue with how my guitar sounds in the recording.
It only or at least mainly affects higher tones (mainly E and B string) and I can only describe it as a "phasing" or "flanging". English is not my first language Here's a recording that shows the issue at hand:
https://soundcloud.com/timtips/guita...arison/s-hmmvq
It is most obvious in the first 15 seconds. At 00:43 a recording for comparison starts. (details below)

The first thing I tried to figure out is if it is an issue with my recording setup or if it is the guitar.
It is a "Marina Mark 31" (Some kind of Korean no-name I guess) western guitar with Yamaha Light Gauge 80/20 Bronze Fol Guitar Strings FB12. The strings are about 6 weeks old.
If I play the guitar it sounds alright and doesn't show the characteristics it does when I record it.

So if I assume that is true it looks as if the problem is produced during the recording.

My main audio interface just died so I am using my Zoom H5 in its USB interface mode to record in Reaper.
I tried recording with the H5 built in microphones, so without using reaper and the sound is fine! (There is a recording of this starting at 00:43 in the above sample).

The H5 has a direct monitor feature which allows me to hear what will be fed to Reaper (at least I think that's what it does) and that sounds fine too!
As soon as I use Reaper to record with either Asio4All or the asio drivers that come with the device the problem starts. I tried 3 different mics including the one that is attached to the H5 and does work fine if I don't use my PC but record directly to the recorder.

This brought me to the conclusion that it has to be a software issue and decided to come here to ask for help.
I have tried different recording modes (41k/48k) but that doesn't do much if anything at all.

EDIT: I repaired my second USB interface (the power supply died, the interface seems to be fine) and it records just fine, same settings drivers and mic, no problems with it. I will probably have to ask Zoom Support about it as it does not seem to be a reaper issue.

Maybe this is just a mistake beginners do often and someone can point me in the right direction?

I appreciate any help.

Thank you very much in advance,

Tim

Last edited by TimTips; 11-15-2016 at 04:26 AM.
TimTips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:36 AM   #2
Fran Guidry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTips View Post
Hello! My name is Tim and I just started recording stuff at home. I am trying to record a guitar track and I can't solve an issue with how my guitar sounds in the recording.
It only or at least mainly affects higher tones (mainly E and B string) and I can only describe it as a "phasing" or "flanging". English is not my first language Here's a recording that shows the issue at hand:
https://soundcloud.com/timtips/guita...arison/s-hmmvq
It is most obvious in the first 15 seconds. At 00:43 a recording for comparison starts. (details below)

EDIT: I repaired my second USB interface (the power supply died, the interface seems to be fine) and it records just fine, same settings drivers and mic, no problems with it. I will probably have to ask Zoom Support about it as it does not seem to be a reaper issue.

Maybe this is just a mistake beginners do often and someone can point me in the right direction?

I appreciate any help.

Thank you very much in advance,

Tim
There have been a number of posts at the Zoom forum http://zoomforum.us/viewforum.php?f=15 about issues with the H5 as an interface, so Zoom support is probably a good way to go.

Fran
Fran Guidry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:31 AM   #3
burtykroes

Default Zoom H5 multi-track driver download updated on website

I just got off the phone with Zoom customer support. It turns out that on the Zoom H5 product page they accidentally had the same ASIO file for both stereo driver and multi-track driver downloads (Windows). They have updated the website and now have a multi-track ASIO that can be downloaded.
burtykroes is offline   Reply With Quote