Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 11-14-2013, 08:02 AM   #41
producer
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper on Mavericks

Reaper64 is running "fine" on Mavericks here as with previous version. Since you are on Macś, do you know that there is a software called Logic? ............... set back 200USD
I am on Retina macbook pro i7, 16GB, SSD
A quite heavy project in Reaper (lot of plugins)

system load with user load with
Reaper : 22% 18% (need 512 buffer)
Logic : 4,5% 6 (run with 64)

Rme card

As stated earlier, Mac is not a good platform for Reaper, more effective on PC.
The good thing is that old projects created on PC can run on Macs with Reaper.

My old love Reaper is not doing well.....any more ......
iMac 4.0 GHz, 32 GB, 1 Tera SSD, MacBook Retina 2.7 GHz, 16 GB, osx 10.12.4, Artist Mix & Control, RME cards + Octamix II, Genelec Monitors, Røde and SE mics, too many plugins. Gibson and Fender el guitars, Martin and Taylor acoustic guitars.
producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #42
philait

Just to confirm Disabling App Nap on Reaper and on the Reaper host bridge has cured any freezing and delays my system had on Mavericks
philait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #43
Justin
Administrator

Hmm strangely REAPER and the bridge never have App Nap enabled here, wonder why... hmph.
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #44
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by producer View Post
Reaper64 is running "fine" on Mavericks here as with previous version. Since you are on Macś, do you know that there is a software called Logic? ............... set back 200USD

Rme card

I have a session up with 60 tracks and 84 fx at the moment. 24 bit 96k. A few heavy-ish plugins in the mix. When playing, Reaper performance meter says 2.7% total CPU use. Activity Monitor says 4.5% total user CPU use. That may not exactly be a heavy project but it isn't tiny. Reaper in OSX is still the place to be for me. I'll let you know when I get the next 120 track 24/96 5.1 surround mix going. I don't really expect to see much more CPU use though.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #45
Justin
Administrator

4.57pre4 will automatically disable AppNap when bridged plug-ins are used, or the audio device is open, or when rendering.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #46
vocalnick

I just tried Mavericks again, and I can confirm that disabling App Nap has fixed the issue for me as well, including the laggy UI updates. Hurrah!
Old 11-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #47
Justin
Administrator

If you could try 4.57pre4, without the "prevent app nap" box checked, to see if it works as-is, I'd appreciated it!
Old 11-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #48
ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
I have a session up with 60 tracks and 84 fx at the moment. 24 bit 96k. A few heavy-ish plugins in the mix. When playing, Reaper performance meter says 2.7% total CPU use. Activity Monitor says 4.5% total user CPU use. That may not exactly be a heavy project but it isn't tiny. Reaper in OSX is still the place to be for me. I'll let you know when I get the next 120 track 24/96 5.1 surround mix going. I don't really expect to see much more CPU use though.
I would honestly and sincerely love to know how you have reaper set up to get this kind of performance.

I get decent and stable results myself, but it's nowhere near the efficient levels you've described... what's your secret? (besides an 8 core processor)
ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:19 PM   #49
vocalnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
If you could try 4.57pre4, without the "prevent app nap" box checked, to see if it works as-is, I'd appreciated it!
I shall give it a go in the next day or so
Old 11-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #50
philait

Hi Justin,
I've posted this in the pre forum also.
I've unticked app nap from all Reaper Executables and can confirm I have no lags in 4.57 Pre 4
Looks like thats fixed it (well for me anyway )
philait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #51
Justin
Administrator

Thanks! pre4 could cause crashes, so rc1 should fix that.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #52
nean

Quote:
Thanks! pre4 could cause crashes, so rc1 should fix that.

Thanks for looking after that, thats why I just love Reaper, their developers and it's community!
deactivating "App Nap" was just the key word and I can confirm that it works now as a temporarily solution for 4.55 and 4.56 :-)

[SOLVED]In Reaper64 4.56 I just experienced that even with "App Nap" deactivated (reaper+bridges) the AU plugin "Metric Halo ChannelStrip 3" silences a whole track, but only if Reaper runs with plug-in compatibility option "In separate plug-in process". If using default option "Automatic Bridging (when required)" everything works fine.
Could you please have a look at this strange bridge behavior as well?
possibly this behavior occurs in combination with other plugins too?
[/SOLVED]

RECALL: according to the changelog of 4.57rc2 AU bridge has been fixed. I've just tested it right now and can confirm that the problem is gone and AU plugin "Metric Halo ChannelStrip 3" is back working via bridge mode!
thanks for fixing the issue that fast !!!!!!!!!

thanks,
nean

Last edited by nean; 11-16-2013 at 08:21 AM. Reason: problem solved in 4.57rc2
nean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #53
Patrice Brousseau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrice Brousseau View Post
For what it's worth:

MBP early 2011 upgraded to 16gb of RAM.

A little project containing one instance of Kontakt 3.5 (2 instruments) and one VST (MrTramp).

- Lion (not a clean install but updated from 10.6.8): CPU: 8-9% and RT CPU at 26%. I'm able to go down at 48 samples on my Roland Octa-Capture without crackles.

- Mavericks (updated from Lion): CPU 11% but RT CPU starts at 26% and jump suddenly at the middle of the piece to 40-50% and it begins to crackle... 48 samples too.

Tried the 10.7 drivers (installed with Pacifist) and the 10.9 drivers, results are the same!Somewhat ok at 64 samples.

In conclusion, it could be that Reaper isn't optimized for 10.9, the Roland drivers are not as performant under Mavericks or that Kontakt or MrTramps struggles with Mavericks! Who knows? Anyway, for now, I stay with Lion to make music.

Patrice
Problem solved with 4.57 RC2: performance is back to the same it was under Lion. Thanks...

Patrice
Patrice Brousseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:29 PM   #54
BWinter

Problem fixed! Thanks Cockos.
BWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:01 AM   #55
GP_Hawk

All good here! Just upgraded to Maverick today.
GP_Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #56
producer

Default Big difference between 32 and 64 bit version

Hi
Reverted to use the 32 bit version and it show quite better performance (40%) then 64 bit. Maybe if you avoid 32 bit plugins, the 64 will get better.

anybody else ?
iMac 4.0 GHz, 32 GB, 1 Tera SSD, MacBook Retina 2.7 GHz, 16 GB, osx 10.12.4, Artist Mix & Control, RME cards + Octamix II, Genelec Monitors, Røde and SE mics, too many plugins. Gibson and Fender el guitars, Martin and Taylor acoustic guitars.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #57
Ben Srokosz

Default 32 vs 64

I know this isn't very helpful....but personally I have avoided Reaper 64 until all my favourite plugins are 64 bit. I get the fact that 64 bit has advantages....but everything runs like a top for me at 32, so thats where I stay.

I have run projects before with 24-32 tracks with multiple plugs on each track. (i usually use waves 3a comp, ssl eq minimum on very channel.

Never had my CPU over 30%, so no lags. I run 512 and have no audible latency....but then again my interface offers zero latency monitoring.

I also rarely record over 48khz, but don't want to start that debate.

Using a macbook pro i7 with 8gb RAM. (non-retina).
Ben Srokosz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #58
jsmineer

I've only tried 64 bit version and all seems to be well until my computer kicks on the screensaver. When I move the mouse to bring it back up, all audio is silent when playing. I have to exit Reaper then open it back up and all is well again.
jsmineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #59
rdesanti

Default MAC Maverick, MIDI and REAPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by arve View Post
Has anyone who is running OS X Mavericks noticed performance problem with 32-bit VSTs running in 64-bit Reaper since the update to Developer Preview 7?

It doesn't seem to happen with every 32-bit plugin, but some of them cause big problems - in particular I'm noticing it with QuadraSID and DrumCore3 (Free). Typical symptoms are UI freezes during actions like play/rewind, and that audio intermittently distorts, to then drop out and get reinitialized a few seconds later.

When I use the same plugins in other 64-bit hosts, like Renoise they seemingly run just fine, so it seems to be specific to Reaper, and the AU versions of the same plugins seem to run just fine in Reaper, so it seems there is something specific to 32-bit VSTs.

Is messed up! My midi does not work properly. Cut's off after a few. Can't get it back! I uninstalled and reinstalled the latest 64 bit version with no luck. I even installed latest 32 bit ver with nothing but white noise. At this point I don't know whether to sit it out and wait for either Apple or Cokos to fix this or just restore the whole computer back to snow.HELP! I also have issues with my desktop background going to some default pictures too. I could care less about that but my Reaper is crippled and I'm VERY upset! Ready to restore my OS to Snow Leopard ! AT LEAST REAPER worked flawlessly. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

UPDATE: I bit the bullet and downgraded to Snow Leopard. Now Reaper64 work great again! Of course I had to reinstall my pluggins and restore a bunch of other applications but i t was worthit. Plus it shuts down in 3 seconds. I'm working at updating all the pluggins to 64 bit. I only wish I had a better way to organize them. Any help with that would be GREATLY appreciated!
PS - serr , I'd like to see your rig! Sounds like a monster!

-- MacBook dual core 8Gb Corsair Ram, dual displays, Axiom Pro 49 keyboard controller, Akai Pro EIE interface.

Last edited by rdesanti; 11-28-2013 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Update
rdesanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #60
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned View Post
I would honestly and sincerely love to know how you have reaper set up to get this kind of performance.

I get decent and stable results myself, but it's nowhere near the efficient levels you've described... what's your secret? (besides an 8 core processor)
Um... Everything is pretty much right out of the box. Maybe Snow Leopard (10.6.8)? Honestly, the only reason I didn't update to the last 2 OS's is because they changed the 'all spaces' view (mission control now) and the desktops all appear in much smaller windows that you can't change the size of.

This might make more sense if you consider that I'm looking at my computer screen on an iPad when I'm running live sound with Reaper. Still kind of trivial but that plus reports of issues (probably a mixture of some 3rd parties not catching up along with some bs... but sounded scary) kept me in Snow Leopard.

I changed the preference to turn the track disable buttons (Reaper's default state for the mute buttons) into mute buttons so I could use them on the fly during mixing without dragging PDC kicking and screaming along for the ride.

I run the disc buffer at 128 samples for live mixing/recording for 11ms total system latency. I like my Waves plugins for the live board and 11ms is imperceptible to me and every single musician I've ever worked with. (Actually it's perfect time alignment if the drum kit is 11' behind the mains - which is pretty typical. )

I just use the Cuemix monitors in the MOTU's for in-ears and for overdub monitoring in the studio since they're there. That latency is 3ms I believe. I turn up the disc buffer to 2048 in the studio and forget about it. (Why try running this at almost zero when you're not even using the monitoring path right?)

I'll fire up the 10.9 installer I grabbed as soon as I collect 64 bit versions of all my plugins and any other app updates I need to make the move.

Biggest secret weapon is still the SSD!
Old 11-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #61
ned

Cool. Thanks for the run down on your setup Serr. Your earlier performance description just made me wonder if there was some sort of magic bullet you were using... which I'm guessing is probably going to be the ssd (and the 8 core). At any rate, all info helps.
ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #62
rdesanti

Default App Nap

Quote:
Hmm strangely REAPER and the bridge never have App Nap enabled here, wonder why... hmph.
Where does one find App Nap?
Old 11-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #63
rdesanti

Default 8 core?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned View Post
Cool. Thanks for the run down on your setup Serr. Your earlier performance description just made me wonder if there was some sort of magic bullet you were using... which I'm guessing is probably going to be the ssd (and the 8 core). At any rate, all info helps.
MAC's are only now going to 8 + core CPU's in their MAC Pro Series (to my understanding) I7's are only available with quad cores. Unless you work @ Apple or have mega-bucks on hybrid processors, Of course if you have that power plus 16-32 gig of ram, I serious think you could be running a full 256 track Reaper, Photoshop, and be rendering a Catia cad sheet all at the same time! lol
Old 11-29-2013, 12:57 AM   #64
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdesanti View Post
Where does one find App Nap?
Select app. "Get Info". It's a checkbox in there, just as 32/64 bit was...

Last edited by cyrano; 11-29-2013 at 01:03 AM.
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:35 AM   #65
producer

Default Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by producer View Post

Rme card

-----------
Updated drives for RME (for Mavericks) and suddenly got better performace for Reaper, it's now allmost on par with Logic.
So seems as I need to backoff my critical comments. At least for NOW.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:00 PM   #66
rdesanti

Default 32 bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmichel View Post
May be need use 32bit version reaper and forget about this trouble until repair from reaper developers?
I run 64 bit Reaper on Snow leopard now I had to rewind from Maverick. 64 Reaper on Snow in 32 bit Kernel seems flawless right now . It's a work in progress right now I guess. If you're serious in doing projects, I would recommend OSX 6.8 or possibly LION running all 64 bit. Unless you have an extra computer / DAW for beta experimentation, I would stay with the stable releases. Currently I use 32 bit Snow with 64 bit Reaper. I use many 32 bit plugins in separate on synths, so as long as I don't go crazy on all MIDI, I should be fine. Looks like we are in the middle of a change of OS/DAW. So I say keep things as stable as possible and WAIT till our Reaper masters say it's cool top move forward. However if you're one of those tech edge masters, then more power 2 ya!
Old 12-13-2013, 10:02 AM   #67
Torben Scharling

So when will Reaper get fixed? Runs like shit on my machine. Crashing like crazy, super poor performance meaning can't use it for live use, at all. Stalls when hitting play, lots of clicks etc. Considering the flow of updates Reaper has had throughout the years, i'm surprised they can't even get the basics of a stable DAW going.
Torben Scharling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #68
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torben Scharling View Post
So when will Reaper get fixed? Runs like shit on my machine. Crashing like crazy, super poor performance meaning can't use it for live use, at all. Stalls when hitting play, lots of clicks etc. Considering the flow of updates Reaper has had throughout the years, i'm surprised they can't even get the basics of a stable DAW going.
Well, my machines (see signature - even the old one) let me run live sound with Reaper while simultaneously recording all the inputs to multitrack. I can run all 36 inputs on my current hardware setup and usually have 50 - 80 plugins up including verbs and delay units that I'll do live dub with for one of the bands I mix. Sample buffer at 128 for total system latency of 11ms.

Back in studio mode... Think the most I've had Reaper up to so far is 80 tracks with around 200 plugins running at 96k and mixing in 5.1 surround. The Mac Pro was still idling. Sample buffer at 2048 for studio - no low latency needed so set it and forget it. I was using Protools HD for studio work prior to this. How fortunate for Reaper to come along just as Protools died!

Reaper in OSX is the most stable DAW that exists!

So... post your issue and maybe we can fix your setup.
It's not Reaper...
Old 12-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #69
pattste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torben Scharling View Post
You've been a member here since 2009 yet you only have 8 posts. I just checked them quickly and you don't appear to have asked for help with your REAPER issues. I would suggest that you do that as obviously REAPER works for others, otherwise they wouldn't be here.
pattste is offline   Reply With Quote