Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 07-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
maxxpower18
Human being with feelings

Default Is there a way to use Logic's instruments on Reaper?

I recently switched to Mac and the first thing I did was purchase Logic Pro 9. It's a decent DAW but I think I still prefer Reaper64, however, I really enjoyed using Logic's instruments(ES1, ES2, EX24 or whatever the sampler is called).

What I would like to do is use Reaper64 as my DAW, but use Logic's instruments in Reaper64.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
maxxpower18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
Snap

What about Rewire?
Snap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
run, megalodon

I think (not totally sure) I remember hearing you can't use logic plugins outside of logic. I have never heard of anyone using EXS outside of logic. This makes sense; Apple wants to have those exclusive to logic so people will buy logic. Also, there is a feature in logic that lets you take an audio track and automatically splice it into an EXS24 instrument; this leads me to believe that the code is part of logic, and not simply a plugin.

logic logic logic.
run, megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
axel_ef

You can use Logic EXS Instruments with Kontakt.

You can also use Maize Sampler to built your own VSTi or AUi from ESX Instruments.

MaizeSampler
axel_ef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
JeffreyC

Hey all - any updates for doing this? My friend has a Mac and we're trying to figure out how to use Logic plugins within Reaper.
JeffreyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
Some Guy

you can use esx instruments with apple au sampler on lion/mountain lion
Some Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:18 AM   #7
JeffreyC

Can you explain how this is done? Specifically, he's trying to use/see the AUi instruments within Reaper.
JeffreyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:55 AM   #8
Banned

Note that EXS 'instruments' are not AUi plugins. What Some Guy suggests, is to use the AUSampler AUi (which should already show up in REAPER, since it comes with OS X), and then use "Import Instrument from EXS File…" option from its GUI.

Afaik, Logic plugins can not be used in non-Apple apps.

(PS: Before you complain about proprietary plug-ins, remember that we can't use ReaPlugs on a Mac outside of REAPER either.)
Old 10-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #9
Tim the Enchanter

Note that EXS 'instruments' are not AUi plugins. What Some Guy suggests, is to use the AUSampler AUi (which should already show up in REAPER, since it comes with OS X), and then use "Import Instrument from EXS File…" option from its GUI.

Okay, that's helpful, but when I navigate to the Logic>ESX Factory Files>01 Acoustic Pianos>Yamaha Grand Piano (for example), I see only wav files and they are all greyed out, so I can't select anything. Have I missed something? Any further help with this final bit would be great.
Tim the Enchanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #10
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by run, megalodon View Post
I think (not totally sure) I remember hearing you can't use logic plugins outside of logic. I have never heard of anyone using EXS outside of logic. This makes sense; Apple wants to have those exclusive to logic so people will buy logic. Also, there is a feature in logic that lets you take an audio track and automatically splice it into an EXS24 instrument; this leads me to believe that the code is part of logic, and not simply a plugin.

logic logic logic.
It was the same limitation when logic was pre-Apple and available for PC. You are right, only from within logic.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:08 PM   #11
Lawrence

Pretty much.

If you could use the main instruments from Logic, Cubase, Samp, Sonar, etc, in other DAW's they'd be all over the torrents, by themselves, much like many stand alone VSTi's are.

They all sometimes "grandfather" (unlock) some old instruments and plugs though.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:39 AM   #12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Enchanter View Post
Okay, that's helpful, but when I navigate to the Logic>ESX Factory Files>01 Acoustic Pianos>Yamaha Grand Piano (for example), I see only wav files and they are all greyed out, so I can't select anything. Have I missed something? Any further help with this final bit would be great.
Sorry, I am not very familiar with the EXS instrument nor the format(s) it uses, but perhaps try searching for .exs files on your hard drive.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:56 AM   #13
Michael Ellis

Default Any progress since 2012

I've exactly the same question as the OP in this thread. I own Logic X as well as Reaper 5.12. Reaper has completely stolen my heart away from Logic largely because of the scripting and custom action capability.

Still, there are a lot of great instruments bundled in the 35Gb that comprise Logic and I'd love to be able to use them in my Reaper projects. I can't seem to get the AU Sampler approach to work. Can someone point me to a good doc or tutorial?

Thanks!
Mac mini, 2.3 Ghz core i7, 16GB Ram, Linnstrument #437, Technics P30
"What survives every change of system is melody." -- Igor Stravinsky
Michael Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:31 AM   #14
axel_ef

AUSampler - Loading Instruments
axel_ef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:23 PM   #15
LightOfDay
Banned

I have no clue, no Mac, no Logic, but wasnt the GigaSampler able to load EXS-instruments?
LightOfDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:33 PM   #16
Michael Ellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel_ef View Post
I've read that several times, but thanks for the suggestion.

So it turns out that the problem I had was caused by Apple's default behavior of hiding files it thinks users shouldn't see.

My solution is to create a folder on my desktop (could be anywhere, nothing special about the desktop) and create aliases to the instruments I want to load into reaper. I named the folder "EXSAliases" but, again, the name is of no consequence.

On my system, Logic X puts the instruments in folders under /Library/Application Support/Logic/Sampler Instruments/

So go there, find each instrument you care about, right click it's .exs file, and choose "Make Alias". Then drag the alias to your new EXSAliases folder.

Now you can import an instrument into a Reaper track as follows:

In Reaper, choose Insert Virtual Instrument on New Track.
-- a dialog box appears ...

From the dialog, choose Instruments: AUi: Apple: AU Sampler , click OK
-- reaper_host_x86_64 launches
-- The Apple AU Sampler (x64) window appears.
-- A Reaper dialog "FX: Track 1 Sampler" appears with AUi Apple: Sampler checked on the left.

Click the "gear" icon in the Apple AU Sampler window. Choose Import Instrument from EXS file ...
-- A Finder file selection window appears.

In the file selection window, go to your ESXAliases folder and select the desired Instrument.
-- the name of the instrument should appear in the AU Sampler window.

That's it! You should now be able to play the instrument into your track from your midi controller. You can close the AU Sampler and FX windows. To bring them both back up, just click the track FX icon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AU1.jpg (45.1 KB, 9565 views)
File Type: jpg AU2.jpg (25.9 KB, 606 views)
File Type: jpg AU3.jpg (38.9 KB, 9332 views)
Mac mini, 2.3 Ghz core i7, 16GB Ram, Linnstrument #437, Technics P30
"What survives every change of system is melody." -- Igor Stravinsky
Michael Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:46 PM   #17
fordjc11

Default Thanks for the screenshots

This is great to have the jpg files.
fordjc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:32 AM   #18
fordjc11

Default Tips needed on AUSampler

Ok I now have the Logic instrument that I want within AUSampler on a track. When I save my Reaper project, close Reaper, and then re-open the project - the instrument is not saved and AUSampler just has the default instrument. How can get Reaper to save the instrument that I chose, to stick? I have had it work with a coupoe of instruments but don't how that happened to work one time.
Thanks.
fordjc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:49 PM   #19
audiocan

This tutorial by Kenny might be an alternative (Logic X as a Sound Module in REAPER):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q78Qi_1pgo
audiocan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:52 AM   #20
Xaos

The video Kenny made is very complex and creates a lot of latency issues. I've had plenty of success using the plugin method that Michael Ellis described so well above. What a great thing to put together for people.

I've posted a question on the YouTube video that Kenny made about this to ask if there is anything I'm missing by just using the Apple: AU Sampler plugin. I can't see any issues with it. I just put an alias to this folder: /Library/Application Support/Logic/Sampler Instruments in my REAPER folder so that everything is quick to access. Once you show the plugin where the .exs file is, it finds all the samples it needs just fine.

I'm thinking that Kenny may have just not known about that AU when he made that video, because I can't find a single benefit to doing it that way. I've ready to be wrong, though! If someone can show me where the benefit is to using Soundflower and Logic as an external audio device in REAPER, I'll be glad to learn what it is. I could see having to jump through those kinds of hoops in Windows, but Windows users don't get all the wonderful stuff that comes with Logic anyway.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:39 AM   #21
Teo Oliver

Wow!!!!!! This is awesome! Thanks Michael Ellis for the explanation. It works perfectly fine in here!
Teo Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:29 AM   #22
o_e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teo Oliver View Post
Wow!!!!!! This is awesome! Thanks Michael Ellis for the explanation. It works perfectly fine in here!
I have still the issue mentioned in an earlier post, that the .exs instrument will not be saved (after reopening the project one has to load the instrument again).
Is there a workaround for that?
o_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:25 AM   #23
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ellis View Post
So it turns out that the problem I had was caused by Apple's default behavior of hiding files it thinks users shouldn't see.
I hate this. So stupid. Aside from using the option key to make the user library visible you can use Terminal to make the behavior go back to the old way. But I settled on just putting aliases of the most used hidden folders on the desktop, similar to what you did.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:29 AM   #24
o_e

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
I hate this. So stupid. Aside from using the option key to make the user library visible you can use Terminal to make the behavior go back to the old way. But I settled on just putting aliases of the most used hidden folders on the desktop, similar to what you did.
Am I the only one who have that problem that after saving and reloading a project the apple sampler has lost the .exs files that I have choosen before? What am I missing?
Old 12-06-2016, 11:21 AM   #25
vanhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos View Post
The video Kenny made is very complex and creates a lot of latency issues. I've had plenty of success using the plugin method that Michael Ellis described so well above. What a great thing to put together for people.

I've posted a question on the YouTube video that Kenny made about this to ask if there is anything I'm missing by just using the Apple: AU Sampler plugin. I can't see any issues with it. I just put an alias to this folder: /Library/Application Support/Logic/Sampler Instruments in my REAPER folder so that everything is quick to access. Once you show the plugin where the .exs file is, it finds all the samples it needs just fine.

I'm thinking that Kenny may have just not known about that AU when he made that video, because I can't find a single benefit to doing it that way. I've ready to be wrong, though! If someone can show me where the benefit is to using Soundflower and Logic as an external audio device in REAPER, I'll be glad to learn what it is. I could see having to jump through those kinds of hoops in Windows, but Windows users don't get all the wonderful stuff that comes with Logic anyway.
Maybe i am stupid but isn't Kenny's vid about using ANY Logic factory instrument plugin in Reaper (like ES2 etc etc etc) and this whole thread is about "only" using Logic's EXS instruments in Reaper ?

That's a big difference ..
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 01:30 PM   #26
o_e

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Maybe i am stupid but isn't Kenny's vid about using ANY Logic factory instrument plugin in Reaper (like ES2 etc etc etc) and this whole thread is about "only" using Logic's EXS instruments in Reaper ?

Yes, and I'am asking about the method which uses AUSampler in REAPER, as described by Michel Ellis in post #16. What can I do that REAPER preserves the .exs file that is choosen in AUSampler?
Old 12-09-2016, 11:44 AM   #27
o_e

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_e View Post
Yes, and I'am asking about the method which uses AUSampler in REAPER, as described by Michel Ellis in post #16. What can I do that REAPER preserves the .exs file that is choosen in AUSampler?
This is my last attempt to find someone who can confirm that the choosen .exs file is not preserved in REAPER and my final call for a workaround.

thanks!
Old 12-09-2016, 01:08 PM   #28
vanhaze

In attempt trying to help you, i just opened AU sampler in Reaper and tried to load an EXS intrument file, but it seems i can't even achieve that

This is what i did:

In AU Sampler:

1) I choose "import instrument form EXS file"
2) i navigate to HD > Library > Application support > Logic > Sampler Instruments.
3) I choose an EXS file.

Outcome: The EXS file is NOT loaded.

Maybe i am overseeing something concerning loading an EXS file in AU sampler ..

Reaper 5.30pre10
OSX 10.12.1
Old 12-09-2016, 02:18 PM   #29
o_e

Quote:
In attempt trying to help you, i just opened AU sampler in Reaper and tried to load an EXS intrument file, but it seems i can't even achieve that

This is what i did:

In AU Sampler:

1) I choose "import instrument form EXS file"
2) i navigate to HD > Library > Application support > Logic > Sampler Instruments.
3) I choose an EXS file.

Outcome: The EXS file is NOT loaded.

Maybe i am overseeing something concerning loading an EXS file in AU sampler ..

Reaper 5.30pre10
OSX 10.12.1
Hm, I just did it once again- exactly as you described it (navigating to the System-wide Library and so forth). I'am on MacOS 10.9.5 and on Reaper 5.29 but I doubt if that makes any difference.
I appreciate your attempt anyhow!
Old 12-09-2016, 02:40 PM   #30
vanhaze

Thank you for responding.

But that response isn't clear for me ..(call me stupid) ..

Do you also have the same issue as me, so unsuccesful loading of EXS instruments in AU Sampler ?

Or you can load succesfully load EXS instruments but the instrument isn't been recalled when re-opening Reaper project ?
Old 12-09-2016, 03:22 PM   #31
o_e

Quote:
Thank you for responding.

But that response isn't clear for me ..(call me stupid) ..

Do you also have the same issue as me, so unsuccesful loading of EXS instruments in AU Sampler ?

Or you can load succesfully load EXS instruments but the instrument isn't been recalled when re-opening Reaper project ?
Sorry for being unclear, I was succesful in loading an .exs file using your description as operating instructions..but the 'recall-bug' persists.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:28 PM   #32
vanhaze

So call yourself lucky, cause for me, as said, it's not working

But sorry, cause that EXS instrument loading isn't working for me, i can't help you further with your initial question ..
Old 12-09-2016, 03:40 PM   #33
o_e

Quote:
So call yourself lucky, cause for me, as said, it's not working

But sorry, cause that EXS instrument loading isn't working for me, i can't help you further with your initial question ..
Ok, so one very last call for macusers who own Reaper and Logic:
Can you please load an .exs instrument in the 'Apple AUSampler'
an see if REAPER recalls the instrument the next time when you open the project?

thank you in advance!
Old 12-09-2016, 04:05 PM   #34
cyrano

Maybe it would be interesting if all of you could tell us what version of OSX you are using, because there is a lot of difference between Mavericks, El Capital and Sierra in the way the files are "seen" by the Finder.

There's not a lot of difference how they are seen by the Terminal, AFAIK, but still, Mavericks has no path randomisation. The other two versions do. And path randomisation is causing some problem for software that isn't from the appstore and that needs to load external libraries on Sierra.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:01 PM   #35
lgetty

Quote:
Ok, so one very last call for macusers who own Reaper and Logic:
Can you please load an .exs instrument in the 'Apple AUSampler'
an see if REAPER recalls the instrument the next time when you open the project?

thank you in advance!
Yes, it works over here.
Sierra 10.12.1
Reaper 5.29 (64bit).
Logic Pro 9.1.8 (64bit) (also using workaround for Logic Pro 9 in Sierra by unchecking iCloud Drive in Finder Preferences Sidebar).
lgetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:26 AM   #36
o_e

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgetty View Post
Yes, it works over here.
Sierra 10.12.1
Reaper 5.29 (64bit).
Logic Pro 9.1.8 (64bit) (also using workaround for Logic Pro 9 in Sierra by unchecking iCloud Drive in Finder Preferences Sidebar).
Thank you for your feedback!
The .exs file that you choose is also preserved by Reaper?
Old 12-13-2016, 08:57 AM   #37
lgetty

Have you tried to save it as a preset in FX (Reaper)? That maybe a workaround and frankly a faster way to load your exs instrument. Just click the + symbol in the tracks FX and name it and save it.
That should save it into:
users/(username)/library/audio/presets/apple/ausampler/
Old 12-13-2016, 01:20 PM   #38
o_e

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgetty View Post
Have you tried to save it as a preset in FX (Reaper)? That maybe a workaround and frankly a faster way to load your exs instrument. Just click the + symbol in the tracks FX and name it and save it.
That should save it into:
users/(username)/library/audio/presets/apple/ausampler/
Thanks for the tip!
I save the .exs instrument as a preset, when I reopen the project, both sounds, the preset and the default sine are triggered. Than I have to reload the default and than the .exs preset again. Seems like there is something strange going on. And the preset is not saved in that place you mention, there is no folder ausampler in the apple folder..
Any more ideas that I can try?

thanks anyway!

PS Do you use this workaround as well or are the .exs instruments preserved in your projects?
Old 12-13-2016, 02:05 PM   #39
lgetty

Quote:
PS Do you use this workaround as well or are the .exs instruments preserved in your projects?
I mostly grab the presets I saved in FX Reaper. But, if I do decide to grab an exs instrument from Logic's folder, it saves as normal.

What about freezing all your AUSAMPLER tracks. Then saving the project. Open it back up and unfreeze those AUSAMPLER tracks? Does that help load back your instruments?
Old 12-14-2016, 01:23 AM   #40
Xaos

Quote:

For sure, it's a big difference. Probably outside the scope of this thread, as you said, and one answer to my question about what I was missing. I have not needed to do that, so have not yet crossed that bridge. I'm just glad Kenny does what he does!