Old 11-23-2010, 04:57 AM   #1
TheWhistler
Human being with feelings

Default Midi routing question

When I build a new track with a multiout/multitimbral VSTi I used the "build 16 channels of midi" command to build my midi-tracks.

Is there a way to manually add a further midi-track an route it to the VSTi later on. I searched the manual an didnīt get it how to route midi to a different destination.

I am getting familiar with the audio routing concept of reaper, but I donīt have clue of routing midi.

Thanks in advance
Greetz
Whistler
Old 11-23-2010, 05:19 AM   #2
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhistler View Post
I am getting familiar with the audio routing concept of reaper, but I donīt have clue of routing midi.
I have no experience of multiout VSTi, so maybe this doesn't answer your real, question, but... Audio and MIDI routing work exactly the same. Look at the routing menu for a track (as for instance half-way down here http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.ph...Out_Vsti's), there you decide if you want to route only MIDI (set audio to "none"), only audio (MIDI set to "none") or both.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:21 AM   #3
Sibben

Hey! Stormwatch. Nice!
Sibben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:54 AM   #4
chriscomfort

Quote:
When I build a new track with a multiout/multitimbral VSTi I used the "build 16 channels of midi" command to build my midi-tracks.

Is there a way to manually add a further midi-track an route it to the VSTi later on. I searched the manual an didnīt get it how to route midi to a different destination.

Thanks in advance
Greetz
Whistler
Click to select your last MIDI track (or whichever track you want your new MIDI track to come after). Ctrl-t to add a new track. In Reaper, there are no dedicated MIDI, audio or buss tracks. All tracks can do any or all functions. Click and drag from the i/o button of your new track to somewhere on the track containing the actual VSTi. A Send dialogue automatically opens. Set the bottom left Audio dropdown to "None" and the far right MIDI drop down to the desired MIDI channel you want going to the VSTi. See pg 102 for a visual of what that screen looks like.

Note: Click the i/o button of any of your existing MIDI tracks, then close that and Right-click on the Volume slider of that same track. Notice the differences and similarities of both.

This is just one of many ways to create a Send.
chriscomfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:33 AM   #5
TheWhistler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscomfort View Post
Click to select your last MIDI track (or whichever track you want your new MIDI track to come after). Ctrl-t to add a new track. In Reaper, there are no dedicated MIDI, audio or buss tracks. All tracks can do any or all functions. Click and drag from the i/o button of your new track to somewhere on the track containing the actual VSTi. A Send dialogue automatically opens. Set the bottom left Audio dropdown to "None" and the far right MIDI drop down to the desired MIDI channel you want going to the VSTi. See pg 102 for a visual of what that screen looks like.

Note: Click the i/o button of any of your existing MIDI tracks, then close that and Right-click on the Volume slider of that same track. Notice the differences and similarities of both.

This is just one of many ways to create a Send.
Thankīs again, that takes me another giant step further. Itīs easy, but I think itīs not really mentioned in the manual (I looked at page 102 but
did nīt find). So now I am able to route audio and midi freely around in the program (and for that smoke is coming out of my ears) but I got it. For a real newbie this is totally out of reach, what a hell of complexity this is.
But gives endless possibilities.

Many thanks again Mr. Comfort
Kind regards
Whistler
Old 11-23-2010, 07:56 AM   #6
chriscomfort

Quote:
Thankīs again, that takes me another giant step further. Itīs easy, but I think itīs not really mentioned in the manual (I looked at page 102 but
did nīt find). So now I am able to route audio and midi freely around in the program (and for that smoke is coming out of my ears) but I got it. For a real newbie this is totally out of reach, what a hell of complexity this is.
But gives endless possibilities.

Many thanks again Mr. Comfort
Kind regards
Whistler
Again my pleasure. I learn something new every time I help answer a question. I referenced 102 just for the picture, third one down called "Volume and Pan Fades". The description is not on that page.
chriscomfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:08 AM   #7
Dame Celia Molestrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibben View Post
Hey! Stormwatch. Nice!
Sibben ..... like the GG avatar, (Good old John Weathers - agree or not but that is him!)

8-))

Last edited by Dame Celia Molestrangler; 11-23-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Dame Celia Molestrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:38 PM   #8
TheWhistler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscomfort View Post
Again my pleasure. I learn something new every time I help answer a question. I referenced 102 just for the picture, third one down called "Volume and Pan Fades". The description is not on that page.
Maybe we can learn something new when I ask another infamous question.

Is it possible to handle a multi-out VSTi with an minimum amount of tracks?
I mean just one track for holding the VSTi, the midi-data and the same track being the buss for the single outputs or do we have any feedback-routing then.

I tried to do this but I was not able to route the midi back on the VSTi-track again. Am I wrong, but that doesnīt work?

Thanks in advance
Whistler
Old 11-23-2010, 03:07 PM   #9
DarkStar

Well you can do it by turning on "Allow feedback routing" in the Project Settings.

But be careful that you do not have any real audio feedback loops. Turn everything down first if you try it. There is an option to Mute the master output if it exceeds a level but I cannot find it at the moment.

I prefer to put the VSTi/MIDI track and the audio output tracks all within a folder.

Last edited by DarkStar; 11-23-2010 at 03:12 PM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
TheWhistler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Well you can do it by turning on "Allow feedback routing" in the Project Settings.

But be careful that you do not have any real audio feedback loops. Turn everything down first if you try it. There is an option to Mute the master output if it exceeds a level but I cannot find it at the moment.

I prefer to put the VSTi/MIDI track and the audio output tracks all within a folder.
I put the midi data in the VSTi-track and let it show off in the TCP. All the other channels come up in the MCP. I think thatīs a good compromise.

I asked my question just for the sake of it. Takes to better understanding, but may lead into terrible feedback ;-)

Greetz
Whistler
Old 11-26-2010, 08:30 AM   #11
Sibben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dame Celia Molestrangler View Post
Sibben ..... like the GG avatar, (Good old John Weathers - agree or not but that is him!)

8-))
Weathers looks marvelous in one of the clips on the Giant In A Box DVD if you've seen it. His got this jump suit on and beats frenetically on the drums looking very happy. When my wife saw it for the first time she asked if they picked him up at the institution before every show.

But could it be him on the covers? The first appearance of the Giant was way before he joined the band, right? But maybe they knew each other from way back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2c4k_dHA2Q
Sibben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #12
hopi

IMO, one of the greatest features of reaper is it's routing ability. You can send and receive just about anything to anything.

Now for muliout vsti's there are so many various schemes one can use. I mostly build my variations by hand rather than doing the auto builds... then save them as templates.

as I think you have found, you can add traks as you wish whenever and wherever....

you can rout a given midi data to more than one vsti, and even make it to send only certain midi channels to certain vsti's...

When it comes to the audio out of the vsti's... that can vary greatly depending on the vsti's ability to send to a given number of outs. Some only have 4, some have 64...

I personally prefer to keep the vsti's audio out tracks separate from their midi input traks. That just seems to work better for me as a project progresses. Having wav files that I can just drag and drop to a HD folder is fast and easy.

When I first got into reaper, it took awhile to fully grasp the routing... the best way is to just do some experiments with it. Once you realize what it possible you will be overjoyed!
Old 11-30-2010, 02:58 AM   #13
Dame Celia Molestrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibben View Post

But could it be him on the covers? The first appearance of the Giant was way before he joined the band, right? But maybe they knew each other from way back.

Weathers appeared on Octopus - the fourth album and your avatar was the cover on the first so no, it is not actually him.

But - if you wanted anyone to look like your logo you couldn't have picked better could you. 8-))
Dame Celia Molestrangler is offline   Reply With Quote