Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 09-16-2019, 12:30 AM   #1
Tobbe
Human being with feelings

Default Why can't I put tracks in a folder and hear sound?

Hi,

Track 1 is ReaSampl with drum samples. Why can't I put those three tracks (kick, snare and hihat) under the first track and hear sound? I routed everything from tr 1 (kick 1/2, snare 3/4, hihat 5/6). What am I missing. As showing in the picture, it works, but not otherwise.

Sorry if this has been asked zillions/trillions of times.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:22 AM   #2
uncleswede

Looks like your master/parent send in the first track is unchecked (top left checkbox on that track's routing dialog) so no sound is being sent to the master track and then out to your audio interface
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:25 AM   #3
Tobbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleswede View Post
Looks like your master/parent send in the first track is unchecked (top left checkbox on that track's routing dialog) so no sound is being sent to the master track and then out to your audio interface
Ok. So if put these tracks as children I need activate Master on parent track? Otherwise not?

Doesnt work if I add children tracks and activate Master on parent track. I only hear drumtrack.

Last edited by Tobbe; 09-16-2019 at 03:19 AM.
Tobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:47 AM   #4
nait

If I understood you correctly, the picture you showed actually works how you want, but you wanted to put the 1st track as a parent track, and the other 3 as children?

One thing to note on that... I believe if you route from the parent to the children, then the children back to the parent, you create a feedback loop. Reaper, by default, will prevent this and shut off audio on the tracks (you can override this in settings, if this is intentional, but in this case, it's clearly not). So make sure you aren't doing that.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:13 AM   #5
Tobbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstooch View Post
If I understood you correctly, the picture you showed actually works how you want, but you wanted to put the 1st track as a parent track, and the other 3 as children?

One thing to note on that... I believe if you route from the parent to the children, then the children back to the parent, you create a feedback loop. Reaper, by default, will prevent this and shut off audio on the tracks (you can override this in settings, if this is intentional, but in this case, it's clearly not). So make sure you aren't doing that.
OK, so...as long it ain't a multichannel vsti you can't put tracks as children and route them from parent and hear the sound? And ReaSampl ain't a multichannel "sampler". Feedback I don't wanna mess with, sounds dangerous
Old 09-16-2019, 08:39 AM   #6
nait

Oh you can definitely do it, you just have to ensure you set it up correctly. I'm not at a PC to see how its done to walk you through it. I can later, or maybe someone else can. You can add channels to ReaSamplomatic5000...

Actually, let's let the master of all things Reaper video explain it:

http://reaper.fm/videos.php#1kAz3_nB2-k

He tells you how to set up the outputs. He doesn't actually put them as children under the drum track though, like you're asking. But I believe what you CAN do is drag everything, including the track with the MIDI on it, and put it into a folder. So in by that, you have that track with your MIDI notes on it, and it routes the MIDI off to the individual tracks, and then those tracks route their audio to the parent folder they belong to. I hope I explained that well enough.

This all said, if you're using Reasamplomatic5000 for this, you might really want to check out MPL Realsamplomatic5000 Manager. It takes the ReaSamplomatic5000 to a whole new level and then some! Makes it a lot better to use as a drum machine. If I'm not mistaken, I think it handles all the routing for you too. I haven't used it in a bit, so I can't remember.

Last edited by nait; 09-16-2019 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:17 AM   #7
Tobbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstooch View Post
Oh you can definitely do it, you just have to ensure you set it up correctly. I'm not at a PC to see how its done to walk you through it. I can later, or maybe someone else can. You can add channels to ReaSamplomatic5000...

Actually, let's let the master of all things Reaper video explain it:

http://reaper.fm/videos.php#1kAz3_nB2-k

He tells you how to set up the outputs. He doesn't actually put them as children under the drum track though, like you're asking. But I believe what you CAN do is drag everything, including the track with the MIDI on it, and put it into a folder. So in by that, you have that track with your MIDI notes on it, and it routes the MIDI off to the individual tracks, and then those tracks route their audio to the parent folder they belong to. I hope I explained that well enough.

This all said, if you're using Reasamplomatic5000 for this, you might really want to check out MPL Realsamplomatic5000 Manager. It takes the ReaSamplomatic5000 to a whole new level and then some! Makes it a lot better to use as a drum machine. If I'm not mistaken, I think it handles all the routing for you too. I haven't used it in a bit, so I can't remember.
Thanks. I've been watching all his videos I believe and that works as a charm. But when you put them as children, it's another ballgame. I saw another video from another user when he puts ReaSampl on every track and different samples on each one of them. Don't know how CPU handles so many instances of ReaSampl but I check it out. I tried MPL's version sometime ago, maybe try it again.

Thanks again.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:45 AM   #8
nait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbe View Post
Thanks. I've been watching all his videos I believe and that works as a charm. But when you put them as children, it's another ballgame. I saw another video from another user when he puts ReaSampl on every track and different samples on each one of them. Don't know how CPU handles so many instances of ReaSampl but I check it out. I tried MPL's version sometime ago, maybe try it again.

Thanks again.
Just some clarification on the bolded... I assume you want the individual tracks "as children" for a cleaner look, so you can minimize things together, and perhaps add FX to individual parts on their own tracks, plus FX to all parts on the parent track. What I was trying to suggest you do in order to get all that same functionality was this:

- Follow the steps that Kenny laid out in the video to route the midi track to individual channels (you did this already).
- DO NOT make the individual channels as children of the MIDI track (I think you can do it that way, but you have to do some figuring on the routing, and I'm unable to help with that currently, if it's possible to do).
- Instead, create a NEW folder, and throw all parts - the MIDI drum track + the individual tracks - as children under it

To me it's not quite what you were trying to do, but pretty close, just as good, and gets the job done.

So it kinda looks like this:

(Good way)
->DRUM folder
----> ReaSampl track with MIDI (midi routes to individual parts, as explained by Kenny)
----> Kick (no extra routing required for these individual parts.. they just route back to the drum folder, which routes to master)
----> Snare
----> Hats
----> Etc.

I think you can do:
(Not so good way)
->DRUM folder
----> ReaSampl track with MIDI
--------> Kick
--------> Snare
--------> Hats
--------> Etc.

But you would have to instead turn off parent routing of the kick, snare, hats, etc. to Parent (uncheck parent send) and i think route them all individually to drum folder. More trouble than it's worth (you'd have to remember to do this any time you add a new individual track!). And I'm not 100% sure that works right either.. in my head, yes, but again.. not at a PC with Reaper to test.

The first way I explained is a lot easier to do than it was for me to explain (and for you to read) lol. Hopefully I didn't lose you in all that!

TLDR version: Take a project exactly like Kenny shows. Now create a new folder.. now drag all those individual tracks and midi drum track into new folder (ensuring the individual tracks are NOT child tracks of the MIDI track). Nice and organized.

Last edited by nait; 09-16-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:55 AM   #9
Tobbe

I go with the Good Way. Looks ok to me and easier. I just tried out DrumGizmo and they do the same routing/folder/children track on their template for DRKit. Works great.

Thanks again and I go for "Good Way". Case closed.

Thumbs Up Big Time