Old 07-27-2019, 01:20 PM   #1
SeetheFnord
Human being with feelings

Default Midas M32R as control surface

I'm trying to make Reaper talk to my M32R for control data. It works fine as a Mackie Control Universal device with Ableton, but whenever I try to set it up as a control surface in Reaper, it pops a dialog that says "Control Surface: Error opening MIDI inputs and outputs". Where am I going wrong? Has anyone done this successfully before?
SeetheFnord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:46 PM   #2
mschnell

I suppose you are speaking of the Behringer M32. AFAIK, it uses the same software as the X32, which already has been discussed in this forum.
While I can't help with the question, a few notes:
1) This should be doable and very viable with CSI.
2) AFAIK these devices send 7 bit Midi (in non Mackie protocol - in this forum, there had been no notion that they provide Mackie protocol, yet), which might be not decently appropriate as a "pro" mixing remote control.
3) There is an unresolved discussion if they provide better resolution via OSC instead of Midi.
-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 07-28-2019 at 10:01 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:21 AM   #3
SeetheFnord

RE: mackie protocol, the screen on the device has options on the remote tab of the setup screen for Mackie MCU, Mackie HUI, and Generic CC. I assume the generic cc is the 7 bit midi you're talking about. MCU works fine in Ableton, but none of the options seem to be able to connect to Reaper. If generic CC will get me basic transport controls on the assignable button section, I'll be happy, as I'm mostly using this rig for live multitrack recording. Any thoughts on where I'm going wrong on the MIDI In and Out? Its connected via USB.
SeetheFnord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:30 AM   #4
Herrmann

I don't know this mixer, but on the old M32, you have in the prefs an option to have the midi thru usb.
Herrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:13 AM   #5
LugNut

Hi,
If abelton is working with the same USB connection, then its most likely the setupin reaper.
In ppreferences /control surface , add a mcu and set the midi in/outs. Do not setup the midi ports for the mixer in reapers midi preferences.
Should work.
Nm on the 7 bit thing. Sheesh.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote