Old 03-28-2022, 05:28 AM   #1
hexSPA
Human being with feelings

Default Fader Lag? Nvidia Update?

Hi. Noticing that reapers faders don't seem to move smoothly. Not sure if it was always like this or if it's somehow related to the last nvidia studio driver update. I'm using a uhd monitor with the default theme. Try grabbing a mixer fader and sliding it up and down. If I go slowly it's ok but it sometimes it'll take a few milliseconds to respond. If I got fast, the slider will just jump. Anyone else?
hexSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 08:04 AM   #2
Ilia Tilev

It's not an Nvidia thing. I use an 8700k with integrated gpu and it's still the same. Maybe it's a bug.
To fix it go to Options/Preferences/Appearance and disable Tooltips for UI elements. It will be smooth but you won't have tooltips on toolbars,faders and some other ui stuff.

Last edited by Ilia Tilev; 03-29-2022 at 03:13 AM.
Ilia Tilev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 02:21 AM   #3
hexSPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilia Tilev View Post
It's not an Nvidia thing. I use an integrated gpu in my cpu and it's still the same. Maybe it's a bug.
To fix it go to Options/Preferences/Appearance and disable Tooltips for UI elements. It will be smooth but you won't have tooltips on toolbars,faders and some other ui stuff.
Whoa night and day. Thank you!
hexSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 04:49 AM   #4
Scoox

I haven't used Reaper for quite a while and just noticed this. I don't remember it happening in previous versions and I usually notice UI and UX issues. Disabling tooltips isn't ideal if you want the tooltips.
Scoox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 11:32 AM   #5
Daodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
I haven't used Reaper for quite a while and just noticed this. I don't remember it happening in previous versions and I usually notice UI and UX issues. Disabling tooltips isn't ideal if you want the tooltips.
Most likely you have a good mouse with high pooling rate (USB report rate). It was discovered by user ShibuyaCyana that using such mouse cause this lag with faders/knobs with tooltips.
I found a cheap mouse, did a test and can confirm that with a cheap mouse there is no lag.

You can read and post a comment about this in this thread https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....98#post2756098
Daodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 01:25 PM   #6
Scoox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daodan View Post
Most likely you have a good mouse with high pooling rate (USB report rate). It was discovered by user ShibuyaCyana that using such mouse cause this lag with faders/knobs with tooltips.
I found a cheap mouse, did a test and can confirm that with a cheap mouse there is no lag.

You can read and post a comment about this in this thread https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....98#post2756098
Interesting. I have a decent mouse (Logitech G305). I have never experience this problem in other software, DAW or plugin though.
Scoox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 09:43 PM   #7
Daodan

Quote:
Interesting. I have a decent mouse (Logitech G305)
Great. This confirms the assumption.
Quote:
I have never experience this problem in other software, DAW or plugin though.
Because REAPER is unique!

But we won't miss the laggy faders and knobs, I promise. Hopefully now that there is information about what is causing the bug, the developers will finally be able to fix it
Daodan is offline   Reply With Quote