Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 08-25-2015, 08:44 AM   #1
fuztec25
Human being with feelings

Default n00b question of the month: turn tracks on/off via program change

Hello members, Davide here, 48 y/o, from Italy.

I'm getting in love with this magical piece of software and i am considering moving from Cubase (Elements) to REAPER.

Now... I am experimenting features and preparing my sequences and sounds for live stage (yes, REAPER will follow me on stage even being only an hobbyist)...

Well question is... I tried to manage to turn on and off tracks via program change but i miserably failed.

The scenario is:
1 stereo audio track with backing sequences pre-programmed (and ready to use)
5 MIDI tracks driving an E4X and a Roland Juno-Stage (which acts as master controller too)
6 VST tracks (tracks with 1 VST instruments each). The VSTs are:
1 Instance of Kontakt
1 Instance of Solina V (Arturia)
2 Instances of Stringer (SonicProjects)
1 Instance of OP-X II Pro (SonicProjects)
1 Instance of Halion5

Now, during play i don't always need Solina V and also 1 of Stringer's instance. So i am trying to figure how to turn off (and even turn on, if possible) the related tracks via Program Change messages. Kontakt, Halion and even OP-X II Pro can be "muted" by assigning empty program changes (which is fairly easy) when unneeded but this can't be accomplished with the Solina V and also Stringer.

Right now i just turn it on and off via mouse clicks... Ok it can be done but pressing a pedal switch would be much better than trying to find a little spot on screen on a dim light... .

Any help would be IMMENSELY appreciated... And again, sorry for the noob question. This is my first time here and i am really amazed by REAPER potential... (...Ssshh... Don't tell anybody... I even think it sounds a bit better compared to C..... You know ).

Thanks again,
Davide (fuztec25)

P.S.: Thinking of buying a regular license ....
fuztec25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:40 AM   #2
EpicSounds

The way I'd do it is to assign Mute last touched track to a button on your controller, and buttons to select previous/next tracks. You can do this from the action list.

I'm assuming you already have each track/instrument set to different MIDI channels.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:47 PM   #3
fuztec25

Default Thank you Epic

That's a hint for sure. I hoped there was a way to make it via Program Change but that's a good start too.

Regards,
Fuz!
fuztec25 is offline   Reply With Quote