Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 02-19-2007, 05:10 PM   #1
Alistair S
Human being with feelings

Default 2-parter: Reflections and rooms/Midi and time signatures

OK, I can't be the only one around who is new to recording.

I started off thinking I would just use it as a way of filing away songs as I write them, but have found myself dragged into a whole new area of learning, and loving every minute.

Now, it could change the way I write songs - but that is just a bonus. For now, I write simply, using a guitar.

I have two issues that I am struggling with (or that I would like to improve on).

The first is my room.

I suspect that some of you will have beautifully treated rooms, but many of you will not. Some of you will have nice big rooms with high ceilings, some will not.

Many will have found a way of dealing with the limitations of your room. I notice, for example, that Timothy Lawler seems to have some moveable sound screens. Some of you may simply move the microphones in close to avoid reflections (I assume omnis are better for this). Some of you may set up elaborate screening mechanisms or make use of wardrobes/closets full of clothes.

What do you do? This is aimed mostly at people who are using acoustic instruments and want to get a sound that captures the instrument accurately.

I've not been satisfied yet. I have one ldc, 2 pairs of sdcs, a pair of omnis and a dynamic mic available, and am experimenting with mic selection and placement. I don't expect the sounds I hear from studios with world-class equipment and I'm sneaking up on the sounds I want, but any tips would be appreciated!

Second issue. Time sigs.

It seems to me that I write songs that often have changes in both BPM and time sig in them (e.g. the chorus may have a different time sig to the verse and/or bridge).

I discovered this when I added drums, but it will be true if I add any midi instrument I think (unless I play it live).

I started fitting the way I played the song to the drums, but it loses something - so I would like to do it the other way around (because I don't want to be a slave to a constant beat).

I guess this means I need to discover the time sig(s) .. and I don't know how. I can just about handle tempo, but the time sig is tougher for me - and without getting this sorted I am fairly limited to what I can track live (or to only use drums on the bits that work easily rather than the places that help the song).

Anywhere good to read up on this? Or is it very simple and there is a quick and dirty way of getting it?

Sorry for the long post. Any suggestions much appreciated.

If the answer is simply "experiment and get experience" that's cool too - it's what I'm doing
Alistair S is offline   Reply With Quote