Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-25-2018, 05:42 AM   #1
Doc Brown
Human being with feelings

Default Kontakt Output Routing for Studio Drummer Issue

Hey all.

There have been some threads and helpful guides to Kontakt multi output routing in Reaper but I have a issue trying to create new outputs in Kontakt.<see pic>

I don't use Kontakt for multi out so I've never ran into this before but when I go to add new outputs it shows Soundcard/ Host output: (not connected)...?

I'm a little perplexed as to why that is and from some web searching I still am a little confused as to why it's giving me this message. What I'm trying to do is use the 16 out version of K5 to create a drum template for studio drummer but I need to be able to create the outputs in Kontakt which I can't do until I get this little niggle worked out.

Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:46 AM   #2
EvilDragon

Click that menu where it says not connected and you should see a list of available outputs. Are you saying there are no outputs listed when you do so?
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:22 AM   #3
Doc Brown

Hey ED

That's what I get but when I try to hit the + to add more channels it creates basically surround channels.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:47 AM   #4
EvilDragon

This is normal.

So you select the first output in the list there. Then change Quantity in order to create the number of outputs you want. Leave Number of channels to 2 if you want stereo outputs. Of course, do delete existing channels before creating new ones, and if you want this to stick, make it a default config.

Simples.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:05 PM   #5
Doc Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
This is normal.

So you select the first output in the list there. Then change Quantity in order to create the number of outputs you want. Leave Number of channels to 2 if you want stereo outputs. Of course, do delete existing channels before creating new ones, and if you want this to stick, make it a default config.

Simples.

Thanks ED. Seems to be working so far I'm going to spend some more time tomorrow exploring the options.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:14 PM   #6
EpicSounds

I always have to toggle the plugin offline/online before the outputs are available in kontakt's mixer. Once I get it routed I save it as a reaper track template.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:32 AM   #7
EvilDragon

Hm I never need to do that...
Old 08-26-2018, 07:14 AM   #8
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
Thanks ED. Seems to be working so far I'm going to spend some more time tomorrow exploring the options.
Hi Doc, I've got a video "Create Outputs" about this in my signature that basically shows what ED is talking about.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:42 AM   #9
EpicSounds

Quote:
Hm I never need to do that...
you never get a popup that says you need to restart kontakt for the changes to take effect? could be a difference with the mac version.

edit - 2 minutes into Tod's video. no popup there but he has to delete the track.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:01 AM   #10
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
you never get a popup that says you need to restart kontakt for the changes to take effect? could be a difference with the mac version.
In the process of editing in Kontakt, I will get that popup, but only occasionally. I usually continue
editing but when I'm done I'll save the Reaper project and then reload it.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:32 AM   #11
EvilDragon

Quote:
Sure that one pops up but I never had to restart Kontakt in Reaper (using the 64 out version, Windows). My guess is all the outputs are "cached" somewhere then just displayed to the DAW when you assign them in Kontakt's output panel. Some DAWs handle dynamic output assignment better than others, I suppose.
Old 08-26-2018, 02:37 PM   #12
Doc Brown

I ran into a minor snag or major depending on the workaround.

The crash 2 tip, crash 1 edge, and hihat closed pedal don't have their own dedicated close mic channel that I can assign an output in Reaper to. All three of those drums share the oh stereo and oh mono channels so they can't be independently assigned to a track in Reaper as they all would output on the same oh stereo or oh mono channel only. The snare sidestick uses the snare channel as does the standard snare so that's also a problem.

I don't know if there is a solution in this drum kit or if I need to buy something like ez drummer 2 or the equivalent to separate out the drums individually as needed per channel. To be honest I typically don't use over 8 drum pieces in any song I've ever written so it's not like I'm some kind of highly complex drum programmer. Most of the time I use the pieces in the screen cap and that fits a lot of the stuff I write. Any ideas or workarounds?
Old 08-26-2018, 03:01 PM   #13
EvilDragon

Cymbals are always captured by overhead mics, there's usually no one mic per cymbal setup... So this is perfectly normal for a drum library. Ditto for snare stick... it's just another articulation for the snare, it doesn't "deserve" its own output.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:42 PM   #14
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
I don't know if there is a solution in this drum kit or if I need to buy something like ez drummer 2 or the equivalent to separate out the drums individually as needed per channel. To be honest I typically don't use over 8 drum pieces in any song I've ever written so it's not like I'm some kind of highly complex drum programmer. Most of the time I use the pieces in the screen cap and that fits a lot of the stuff I write. Any ideas or workarounds?
Quote:
Cymbals are always captured by overhead mics, there's usually no one mic per cymbal setup... So this is perfectly normal for a drum library. Ditto for snare stick... it's just another articulation for the snare, it doesn't "deserve" its own output.
Yeah, ED's right, but I hear you Doc. Studio Drummer is based on a simple live setup that is reminiscent of the older tape days
when the number of channels were restricted somewhat. Of course the mics that captured the snare were also the mics that captured
the sidestick, there was no way around that and the sidestick always requires totally different processing then the snare. Back
then it took some fancy maneuvering during mixdown to make that happen, which is something you could do with Studio Drummer
by using automation.

You could also use 2 or 3 instances of Studio Drummer in the same single instance of Kontakt to get different kit parts on different
outputs in Reaper.

That might also take care of your separate outputs for the hi-hat and cymbals, but of course there are no close mics.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:12 PM   #15
Doc Brown

Quote:
Thanks ED

Drums are definitely my weak link in my productions but I'm learning a little at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Yeah, ED's right, but I hear you Doc. Studio Drummer is based on a simple live setup that is reminiscent of the older tape days
when the number of channels were restricted somewhat. Of course the mics that captured the snare were also the mics that captured
the sidestick, there was no way around that and the sidestick always requires totally different processing then the snare. Back
then it took some fancy maneuvering during mixdown to make that happen, which is something you could do with Studio Drummer
by using automation.

You could also use 2 or 3 instances of Studio Drummer in the same single instance of Kontakt to get different kit parts on different
outputs in Reaper.

That might also take care of your separate outputs for the hi-hat and cymbals, but of course there are no close mics.
Hi Tod

I like your idea using multiple instances to sort of get the job done. I actually like the core sound of this kit and want to make it work for me especially since I already own it.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:15 PM   #16
Doc Brown

Quote:
I always have to toggle the plugin offline/online before the outputs are available in kontakt's mixer. Once I get it routed I save it as a reaper track template.
Thanks for the heads up Jon. By the way I haven't been seeing your videos of late come across my subs on YouTube. It could be youtube or you're just busy. Regardless, thanks for all your advice and tutorials.