Old 08-11-2015, 10:52 PM   #1
smueske
Human being with feelings

Default All Things Being Equal

Hi:

I've been working on a short experimental electronica song called "All Things Being Equal" for a few months. It's written in 26ed3, which is an octave and a half divided into 26 steps.

Trying again. Either people didn't like the last version or had nothing to offer. I've edited the link for a new mix.

https://soundcloud.com/steve-mueske/...-6-mix-2-82115

Last edited by smueske; 08-21-2015 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Edited link
smueske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:34 AM   #2
smueske

New mix posted. Any thoughts?
Old 08-22-2015, 12:56 AM   #3
Plazma

Hey, this is very good! The first part with the beautiful bell arpeggio ends too soon, it can go on for much longer. Am listening to more of your music, Plastic Superhero is awesome, what instrument did that middle arpeg? Do you mix your own stuff?
Old 08-22-2015, 01:01 AM   #4
Plazma

Are your drums samples or a vst?

Last edited by Plazma; 08-22-2015 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Spelling errors
Plazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:08 AM   #5
Plazma

Ok I've listened to everything on Bandcamp. I am seriously impressed.
Am I right in thinking you compose in Orion? Everything?
Old 08-22-2015, 08:36 AM   #6
smueske

Plazma, thank you for your gracious comments. To answer your questions, yes I mix my own stuff. The songs on Hello Cruel World were mastered by Greg Reierson at Rare Form; the newer stuff I've mastered out of necessity (though I'd love to have them done "for real"). They sound okay, but not great.

The only completed piece done in Orion is Mnemosyne. There's a 13 edo piece I'm collaborating on with Jon L. Smith that is also Orion. A few were done in Renoise and a few in Reason, but most everything was done in Reaper. The arpeggiated synth in Plastic Superhero was Predator.

I started working with microtonality last year, so everything in my dyads except Drawing Horses is microtonal. Hopefully the posted piece will be in my third dyad.

Interesting that you comment the first section should be extended. I'll think about that. I kind of like the idea of a song being dismantled as it progresses, so I'd be worried about balance.

I'm very touched you listened to so much material. Everything on Bandcamp is free to download.

Edit: The drums are both oneshot samples and VST (and in older cases Redrum and NNXT as well). The VSTs are Guru (older precursor to Geist and Battery).

Last edited by smueske; 08-22-2015 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Additional content
Old 08-23-2015, 01:01 PM   #7
Fictional Substance

I like the eerie-ness of it. I'm very curious about this "26ed3" scale. I can't find any reference to it. On what can this be played? Do you have to program a keyboard or synth to do this?
Fictional Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:21 PM   #8
smueske

Fictional Substance:

Thanks for listening. 26ed3 is a temperament, not a scale, in the same way that major and minor scales are subsets of 12 edo (our common western scale).

There are many ways to retune softsynths. In the most common way, you need a synth that accepts tuning files. These are basically text files with information that tells the synth how to interpret incoming MIDI data. Most often these files are created by a free program called Scala. Synths that accept these files usually mention it on the site or in the manual. They include Rapture, Dimension, Z3TA+2, Omnisphere, Alchemy, Virtual CZ, Predator, Ace, Bazille, Enzyme, Rhino, etc.

There is a whole wiki dedicated to this subject here:

https://xenharmonic.wikispaces.com/

A Reaper user has invented a Reaper plug in that will retune most VSTis whether or not they support tuning files. His website is here (I've never used this).

http://www.tallkite.com/alt-tuner.html

There are Facebook groups and record labels dedicated to this. It's really another universe.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:26 PM   #9
smueske

I should also say there are a number of freeware synths that are designed straight out of the box for microtonality if you just want to mess around with it. I'd be happy to answer any additional questions offline if you want more info. I'm really just a tourist, but the possibilities this opens up are limitless.