Old 09-03-2014, 01:16 PM   #1
headcase915
Human being with feelings

Default MASTERING HELP!!!!

ive been using reaper for a good 3 years now and never encountered this problem untill I upgraded my computer from a 2000 win xp to a 2013 win 7 the daw works and Im able to pack on the plugin without freezing or latency BUT when i master my tracks sound kick fucking ass on my monitors but when i render and toss them on my ipod and play them back in my truck all of a sudden my guitars sound 4 db lower and the sound waves up and down volume wise like someone is turning up and down the volume internally... can anyone help me!

My mastering chain:
1. Spectral analyzer
2. ReaQ (Parametric EQ - High Pass Filter)
3. FerricTDS (Tape Emulation)
4. ReaQ (Parametric EQ - High Shelving Filter)
5. Waves Maxx Bass (Bass Enhancer)
6. DestinymkII (Compressor)
7. Waves Stereo imager (Stereo Widener)
8. CS112m (final EQ, high pass)
9. ReaXComp (Multiband Compressor)
10. JS (Soft Clipper)
11. Loud Max (Brickwall Limiter)

what the hell am i doing wrong? and why is my master sounding amateur compared to masters done previously on my old computer?

Last edited by headcase915; 09-03-2014 at 01:19 PM. Reason: CHANGE NOTIFICATION SETTINGS
headcase915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #2
thequietroom

how do the renders sound on your monitors
thequietroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
thequietroom

also, your kind of spamming the forum.. you have at least 3 of these posts. I don't think that helps
Old 09-03-2014, 01:38 PM   #4
zeekat

That's a lot of compressors.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:51 PM   #5
whiteaxxxe
Banned

... and eqs.
... and everything enhancers.
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:52 PM   #6
dea-man

At first look, I'd say your "Mastering Chain", is highly convoluted.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:55 PM   #7
Kawin

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcase915 View Post
ive been using reaper for a good 3 years now and never encountered this problem untill I upgraded my computer from a 2000 win xp to a 2013 win 7 the daw works and Im able to pack on the plugin without freezing or latency BUT when i master my tracks sound kick fucking ass on my monitors but when i render and toss them on my ipod and play them back in my truck all of a sudden my guitars sound 4 db lower and the sound waves up and down volume wise like someone is turning up and down the volume internally... can anyone help me!

My mastering chain:
1. Spectral analyzer
2. ReaQ (Parametric EQ - High Pass Filter)
3. FerricTDS (Tape Emulation)
4. ReaQ (Parametric EQ - High Shelving Filter)
5. Waves Maxx Bass (Bass Enhancer)
6. DestinymkII (Compressor)
7. Waves Stereo imager (Stereo Widener)
8. CS112m (final EQ, high pass)
9. ReaXComp (Multiband Compressor)
10. JS (Soft Clipper)
11. Loud Max (Brickwall Limiter)

what the hell am i doing wrong? and why is my master sounding amateur compared to masters done previously on my old computer?
Using Maxx Bass in mastering buss is a very bad idea. use max bass in u r mix channel (bass gui & kick drum)

Remove all Compressors in Master track. use compression for individual track according to the need. dont over compress any track. use only a simple limiter to master track. IF ITS VERY ESSENTIAL AS U THINK USE A MULTI BAND COMPRESSOR AND COMPRESS. DONT COMPRESS OVER -3 DB (CHECK THE COMPRESSOR VU) .

Reaper V4 Has a problem in audio rendering. which makes u r mix sound worse. i had found a solution a few months ago. its simple "set u r freq and bit rate same everywhere" render your audio in same setting. for example if you recorded your audio in 48khz 24bit use all mix engine audio render setting in the same setting. dont jump from 24bit to 32 64 or to 16 in rendering. dont change 48khz to 44.1khz in rendering. after rendering convert your audio to u r desired need with an external editor like sound forge or adobe audition.

Last edited by Kawin; 09-03-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Kawin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:20 PM   #8
thequietroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawin View Post
Reaper V4 Has a problem in audio rendering. which makes u r mix sound worse.
Can you elaborate on this? What is reapers problem?
Old 09-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
headcase915

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequietroom View Post
also, your kind of spamming the forum.. you have at least 3 of these posts. I don't think that helps

Yeah Ive never used the forum before... I thought that different sections would be seen by different users so i posted it in 3 different locations.. sorry about that.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:24 PM   #10
headcase915

Quote:
well if i play it in reaper before i render it sounds phenomenal after i render it and i put it on my ipod and listen in my truck it sounds like crap...
Old 09-03-2014, 02:26 PM   #11
thequietroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea-man View Post
At first look, I'd say your "Mastering Chain", is highly convoluted.
I agree, if you have control of the mix, this seems like a lof of heavy 2 bus processing. Particularily the MaxxBass. This is a really heavy handed plug for the 2 bus.

The OP implies that the project sounds good on monitors and the renders sound bad on the Ipod

To determin if it is a mastering chain issue, rendering issue, or monitoring issue, please advise if the renders themselves sound the way you expect on your monitors or do the renders themselves have the unexpected results.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:28 PM   #12
headcase915

Quote:
Quote:
Using Maxx Bass in mastering buss is a very bad idea. use max bass in u r mix channel (bass gui & kick drum)

Remove all Compressors in Master track. use compression for individual track according to the need. dont over compress any track. use only a simple limiter to master track. IF ITS VERY ESSENTIAL AS U THINK USE A MULTI BAND COMPRESSOR AND COMPRESS. DONT COMPRESS OVER -3 DB (CHECK THE COMPRESSOR VU) .

Reaper V4 Has a problem in audio rendering. which makes u r mix sound worse. i had found a solution a few months ago. its simple "set u r freq and bit rate same everywhere" render your audio in same setting. for example if you recorded your audio in 48khz 24bit use all mix engine audio render setting in the same setting. dont jump from 24bit to 32 64 or to 16 in rendering. dont change 48khz to 44.1khz in rendering. after rendering convert your audio to u r desired need with an external editor like sound forge or adobe audition.
well its not on my master bus.. I have one stereo track with master unchecked and sent to a 2nd aux bus with my fx chain and nothing on the master track. but I am jumping from 48khz to 41khz and 24bit to 16bit... so i shouldn't be doing any of that?? and the chain adds slight impulses at different stages... rather than trying to do it all in one or 2 fx i spread my stuff out over several to get my desired master sound... its a layered effect...and only dont in sublte hints minus the multi band the soft clipper and the limiter.. oh and the maxx bass does actually give a certain warmth to the overall low end of the final sound i found... it gave it a little definition and roundness.

Last edited by headcase915; 09-03-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:35 PM   #13
thequietroom

i think (and others may correct me) that its probably better to stay at 44.1 for tracking than to convert from 48 to 44.1. It has to do with the math and Ive read a lot indicating that that conversion can be destructive. I dont think it will cause the problem your describing however.

It comes down to this either there is a problem with the rendering ( and/or conversion to mp3) or it is really a problem with your signal chain and you may be hearing it louder in the project thinking it sounds better.

Render it to a lossless format, pull that file back into reaper, solo it and play it. Is it good or bad?
Old 09-03-2014, 02:36 PM   #14
Otto Tune

Have you tried an online render?
Otto Tune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #15
headcase915

Quote:
I agree, if you have control of the mix, this seems like a lof of heavy 2 bus processing. Particularily the MaxxBass. This is a really heavy handed plug for the 2 bus.

The OP implies that the project sounds good on monitors and the renders sound bad on the Ipod

To determin if it is a mastering chain issue, rendering issue, or monitoring issue, please advise if the renders themselves sound the way you expect on your monitors or do the renders themselves have the unexpected results.
it even sounds pretty ok on an ipod when heard thru headphones but in my truck.. using my ipod the guitars volume sounds reduced and the overall volume sounds like its waving up and down slightly you have to listen close but you can here the volume of the music go up and down slightly
Old 09-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #16
headcase915

Quote:
it even sounds pretty ok on an ipod when heard thru headphones but in my truck.. using my ipod the guitars volume sounds reduced and the overall volume sounds like its waving up and down slightly you have to listen close but you can here the volume of the music go up and down slightly
How would i do that just insert the rendered track back into reaper right? and just hit play?
Old 09-03-2014, 02:42 PM   #17
headcase915

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Tune View Post
Have you tried an online render?
how would i online render?
Old 09-03-2014, 02:47 PM   #18
headcase915

Quote:
i think (and others may correct me) that its probably better to stay at 44.1 for tracking than to convert from 48 to 44.1. It has to do with the math and Ive read a lot indicating that that conversion can be destructive. I dont think it will cause the problem your describing however.

It comes down to this either there is a problem with the rendering ( and/or conversion to mp3) or it is really a problem with your signal chain and you may be hearing it louder in the project thinking it sounds better.

Render it to a lossless format, pull that file back into reaper, solo it and play it. Is it good or bad?
im rendering to wav... when i mix down im rendering to 48khz at 24 bits. insert steero file into new project send to aux with fx chain master fader at z with nada on it render to 41khz 16bit still wav... place on ipod (still in wav mind you no converting to mp3 at this point) turn on vehicle and (POOP) sound vomit.... doesn't sound anything like what im hearing before i render.. but im gonna try leaving everything at 41khx 16bit to see if that works however my only questin would be...

"if im not changing the frq or bit rate should i uncheck dithering and noise shaping?
Old 09-03-2014, 02:47 PM   #19
Otto Tune

The render dialog gives you options of full-speed offline, 1x offline, and online (and the newer idle options). Full-speed doesn't play nice with some plugs--I haven't used some of the ones you're using, but I've had problems with full-speed offline in some cases that have been fixed by doing an online render.
Otto Tune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:52 PM   #20
headcase915

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Tune View Post
The render dialog gives you options of full-speed offline, 1x offline, and online (and the newer idle options). Full-speed doesn't play nice with some plugs--I haven't used some of the ones you're using, but I've had problems with full-speed offline in some cases that have been fixed by doing an online render.
I will give that a try! all of this has been very helpful... ive never encountered this issue on my old pc but it just doesn't have the stones anymore to keep up with my project files... i thought there might be an issue with rendering in reaper 32bit on win7 64 bit and was contemplating toggling back and forth if i had to
Old 09-03-2014, 02:57 PM   #21
headcase915

This is great! thank you everyone i will try these out and get back to you with results hopefully the online rendering or keeping everything the same bitrate will do the trick...
Old 09-03-2014, 03:00 PM   #22
dea-man

Do you regularly mix/master your music so that it always translate well, no matter what you listen to it on? (Monitors, headphones, earbuds, stereo, truck...)

Or, are you just starting to learn to mix your own music?
Old 09-03-2014, 03:03 PM   #23
thequietroom

Quote:
How would i do that just insert the rendered track back into reaper right? and just hit play?
Yes you can just pull the rendered file into a new project and hit play. See if that file sounds wierd on your monitors, not ipod.. if so, then we can focus on whats happening when its rendered. If it sounds good on your monitor, then your monitors and your truck don't agree on the "mastered" product is all.. probably just an issue with the processing done on it and the way its translating to the truck system.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:06 PM   #24
thequietroom

Quote:
im rendering to wav... when i mix down im rendering to 48khz at 24 bits. insert steero file into new project send to aux with fx chain master fader at z with nada on it render to 41khz 16bit still wav... place on ipod (still in wav mind you no converting to mp3 at this point) turn on vehicle and (POOP) sound vomit.... doesn't sound anything like what im hearing before i render.. but im gonna try leaving everything at 41khx 16bit to see if that works however my only questin would be...

"if im not changing the frq or bit rate should i uncheck dithering and noise shaping?
Yes uncheck if your not converting

general rule, only do dither and noise shaping upon last coversion to 16bit/44.1

it is not going to cause the issues your describing.

If the rendered wav file sounds wierd my suggestion would be to render your MIX down to 44.1 and not 48.

Pull the 44.1/24 bit file into your mastering project and try again.

Maybe something is wierd with processing and rendering and downsampling dithering all at the same time
Old 09-03-2014, 03:13 PM   #25
headcase915

Quote:
Do you regularly mix/master your music so that it always translate well, no matter what you listen to it on? (Monitors, headphones, earbuds, stereo, truck...)

Or, are you just starting to learn to mix your own music?
Ive been mixing and mastering my own music for 7 years reaper for the last 3 like i said in my original post I never had this problem on my old computer...I would render in reaper using all the same stuff the same protocols same fx chains and never had this issue where my (to describe it my vocals end up louder my guitars drop out... my master session in reaper (before rendering) sounds as brutal as killswitch (if you find killswitch brutal) but after i render its as brutal as avril lavighn... it goes from a great metal track to pop produced at best in overall sound presentation
Old 09-03-2014, 03:16 PM   #26
dea-man

Quote:
Ive been mixing and mastering my own music for 7 years reaper for the last 3 like i said in my original post I never had this problem on my old computer...I would render in reaper using all the same stuff the same protocols same fx chains and never had this issue where my (to describe it my vocals end up louder my guitars drop out... my master session in reaper (before rendering) sounds as brutal as killswitch (if you find killswitch brutal) but after i render its as brutal as avril lavighn... it goes from a great metal track to pop produced at best in overall sound presentation
OK, sorry I missed that in your first post. My bad.

Carry on.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:16 PM   #27
headcase915

Quote:
Yes uncheck if your not converting

general rule, only do dither and noise shaping upon last coversion to 16bit/44.1

it is not going to cause the issues your describing.

If the rendered wav file sounds wierd my suggestion would be to render your MIX down to 44.1 and not 48.

Pull the 44.1/24 bit file into your mastering project and try again.

Maybe something is wierd with processing and rendering and downsampling dithering all at the same time
ok so render my mixdown at 44.1 24bit and render the master at 44.1 16bit with dither and noise shape? or no dither and noise shape?
Old 09-03-2014, 03:45 PM   #28
headcase915

Quote:
OK, sorry I missed that in your first post. My bad.

Carry on.
Oh no i wasn't trying to sound rude i just thought i would clarify my level of technical knowledge its just again I switched to a new computer and was hoping it didn't have to do with a 64 bit system and a 32 bit reaper (some of my plug ins are 32 bit and i love using them) or if i finally need ot break down and upgrade my version.. im on the version i like best...last time i upgraded my midi controllers stopped working and plug ins went wonky... so i stick with the version i have
Old 09-03-2014, 03:47 PM   #29
dea-man

No harm, no foul.

I have a 64 system, but mostly use 32 Reaper.

I always upgrade, the moment the new version is available, and I have never had any problems with midi controllers, or plug ins, going wonky.

Maybe the new version would help.

You can always re-install the version you are currently using, no prob.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:19 PM   #30
thequietroom

Quote:
ok so render my mixdown at 44.1 24bit and render the master at 44.1 16bit with dither and noise shape? or no dither and noise shape?
Yep dither noise shape only on conversion to 16/44.1
This topic may start a debate but I think this formula will serve you well
Old 09-03-2014, 04:42 PM   #31
headcase915

Quote:
Just listened to the rendered tracks in reaper... they sound great... but the guitaRS are slightly lower on the master so im guessing its the rendering thing im gonna try keeping the sample rates and bit rates the same across the board see if that helps me out

Last edited by headcase915; 09-03-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:56 PM   #32
LugNut

Hi,

Sry didn't go thru all posts but, after the update did u change the default pan laws?

It happened to me b4 after an OS change.

Hth

Guido
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #33
headcase915

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut View Post
Hi,

Sry didn't go thru all posts but, after the update did u change the default pan laws?

It happened to me b4 after an OS change.

Hth

Guido
not sure what you mean
Old 09-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #34
thequietroom

Quote:
Just listened to the rendered tracks in reaper... they sound great... now what?
Hmmm most likely then its just the translation to your truck system. This is probably mix issues and/or the mastering processing. Can you convert it to mp3 and post a clip?
Old 09-03-2014, 05:55 PM   #35
alex1073

Quote:
This is a very bad an wrong advice.

Quote:
This is even not true.
alex1073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:57 PM   #36
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Smells like trolling spirit...
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:10 PM   #37
thequietroom

Quote:
Just listened to the rendered tracks in reaper... they sound great... but the guitaRS are slightly lower on the master so im guessing its the rendering thing im gonna try keeping the sample rates and bit rates the same across the board see if that helps me out
Let us know the results, Id like to se ya get this sorted
Old 09-03-2014, 07:29 PM   #38
donchilcott

Default Mastering

You might want to check out Ian Shepherd and his site. He has tons of great advice at his site. He is a real pro and very approachable...
donchilcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:32 PM   #39
Fex

Quote:
Strange....
Quote:
Hmmm most likely then its just the translation to your truck system.
That's what I was thinking. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with the speakers.
Quote:
im guessing its the rendering thing
If that were the case, shouldn't it sound equally bad everywhere?

Try rendering a mono mix, and see how that sounds in your truck.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:15 AM   #40
SaulT

I'm having a really hard time believing that it could be the audio mixdown or audio codec and not this complicated "mastering" chain involving layers of saturation, compression, excitation, and brickwall limiting.

Hear hoofbeats and think horses, not zebras.

Don't try to fix the mix during "mastering", because that's not what mastering is. If your "pre-mastered" mix doesn't sound at least decent on multiple devices (not just your monitors, but headphones, car stereo, cell phone, etc) then it isn't a good mix to begin with.
SaulT is offline   Reply With Quote