Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-23-2020, 03:37 PM   #1
hannesmenzel
Human being with feelings

Default How do you deal with virtual instruments in Reaper?

Dear beloved Reaper community,

I'd like to know how you handle this:

I often do recordings with recorded analog instruments, virtual instruments and e.g. guitars using amp simulations. The latter two obviously consume the most of my DSP power, so you got to consolidate them anyhow.

I then start working with two Reaper folders, one I call the "Mix Bus" with all the analog recordings and one with MIDI tracks with VIs and reamped guitars and basses which I route to the "Mix Bus" to, well, mix them.

So my question is: What's your strategy to consolidate the VIs and amped guitars for later use to mix? One possibility is to freeze the routing target in the Mix Bus folder, but I don't like the freezing mode because it's incompatible with leaving the recording folder clean when you have multiple archived projects (I lost some material while unthinkingly cleaning the project folder). Rendering doens't work in every circumstance because you often have multichannel VIs like in Kontakt or so.

So what do you do? Do you finish recording and save it as the final recording state, following making stems to mix? Do you use the same project for recording, comping, mixing (even mastering)? How do you enable yourself to quickly going back to recording out of the mixing process if you got anything to fix? How do you archive things?

I know this is a not so urgent question, because somehow I get to my goal anytime, but I like to optimize this step for me and I'd really appreciate if you had a good solution for this.

Cheers, Hannes

P.S. Sorry, I just saw that this thread would be perfectly located in the "Recording Technologies and Techniques" forum, can I or someone move this there?

Last edited by hannesmenzel; 01-23-2020 at 03:42 PM.
hannesmenzel is offline   Reply With Quote