Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-20-2019, 12:28 PM   #41
Jimmy James
Human being with feelings

Ok, I am going to try and post some of these pictures here. I am currently remodeling the "Recording Den". So there is currently a exercise bike in the way. But you guys will get the idea. I found these blackout curtains on Amazon for 13 bucks a pair. And they go from the floor to the ceiling!

Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:01 PM   #42
emann

To all...thanks so much for this reverb trick...will check them out on my next recording.

Really appreciate your sharing of ideas.
emann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:58 PM   #43
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Which one Jeff? Both require far less setup IMHO.

Shimmer (it's possible this is my take on one of Pauls ideas):

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=223197

Reverb follows Pan (same side, inverse, or both):

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...71&postcount=4

The point of this one is the classic instrument in one speaker, reverb or delay in the other ala Van Halen I (or in the same speaker or somewhere in between) then if you pan the track, the reverb/delay follow proportionally. So if guitar in left and verb in right, if you now pan the guitar to 10 o'clock, the reverb now goes to 2 o'clock and so on.
Reverb follows pan inversely was the one I was talking about but both work well and far less fiddly!!!
Old 11-20-2019, 06:30 PM   #44
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by martifingers View Post
I think that's correct but looking at it I seem to have perhaps over complicated thee explanation.
One could just put the (true stereo) reverb on a single track and either...

1) Set its Width (in the I/O window in default pan mode) to -100, or
B) Reverse the output pins on the reverb plugin itself.

Then you can use post-fader sends and the panning will just mirror whatever you do on the track.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:42 PM   #45
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Reverb follows pan inversely was the one I was talking about but both work well and far less fiddly!!!
Ah yea cool. It's also set up so that it's a regular ole reverb or an inverse panner based on whether you send the instrument track to the reverb track on channels 1/2 or 3/4. 1/2 is normal and 3/4 is the inverse panner.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:26 PM   #46
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Ah yea cool. It's also set up so that it's a regular ole reverb or an inverse panner based on whether you send the instrument track to the reverb track on channels 1/2 or 3/4. 1/2 is normal and 3/4 is the inverse panner.
Both are very cool and should get a lot of use once the word gets around some more. Good job on those!
Old 11-23-2019, 10:07 AM   #47
emann

@Jeffsounds: Hello, i managed to the this reverb trick as per martinfingers that i could follow really well.

I have the fx of karbo but can you kindly guide me step by step and as well where to apply reverb..I am recording on two mics as channel guitar left and guitar right both panned 100% in corresponding direction.

thanks a lot.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:45 AM   #48
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by emann View Post
@Jeffsounds: Hello, i managed to the this reverb trick as per martinfingers that i could follow really well.

I have the fx of karbo but can you kindly guide me step by step and as well where to apply reverb..I am recording on two mics as channel guitar left and guitar right both panned 100% in corresponding direction.

thanks a lot.
See if this below helps. If you send the guitar to 1/2 on the reverb/fx track it follows the panning of the guitar, if you send the guitar to 3/4 instead, it pans the opposite of the guitar - You need to browse/load the fx chain from wherever you placed it in the FXChains folder structure...

If you use two sends, 1/2 and 3/4 you can get a blend between the two by adjusting their individual send levels. It isn't a perfect setup but can be pretty darn handy.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:49 AM   #49
billybk1

I happened to come across this gem the other day and it was most informative.
Basically a masterclass on how to record acoustic guitar and free to all. Enjoy!

Learn How to Mic Acoustic Guitars with Jacquire King

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dsR...ature=emb_logo
billybk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:08 PM   #50
martifingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybk1 View Post
I happened to come across this gem the other day and it was most informative.
Basically a masterclass on how to record acoustic guitar and free to all. Enjoy!

Learn How to Mic Acoustic Guitars with Jacquire King

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dsR...ature=emb_logo
Thanks for this!
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:45 AM   #51
emann

Quote:
Originally Posted by martifingers View Post
Hi emann. I don't want to hijack it either and not entirely sure it's exactly what Paul was suggesting but my method for the reverb technique was as follows:

1. Record the two tracks (duh!)
2. Pan them: one hard right, the other hard left and name them GTR Left, Guitar Right.
3. Create two more empty tracks. I named mine GTR Left crossover, Guitar Right crossover.
4. Pan the "GTR Left crossover" hard RIGHT and "Guitar Right Crossover" hard LEFT.
5. From GTR Left make a Send to "GTR Left crossover". Make sure the SEND is set to "Pre-Fader".
6. Put your favourite Reverb effect on the "GTR left crossover" track.
7. Do the equivalent steps 5 and 6 for the "GTR Right crossover"
8. Mix the whole thing as your ears suggest best bearing in mind you have the option of changing Reverb parameters as well as the relative level of the "crossovers" etc.

I think that's correct but looking at it I seem to have perhaps over complicated thee explanation. Kenny, help!

For me it was about just getting in my mind what is happening and then it's really easy. It also occurred to me that there may be fun stuff that could do be done with effects other than reverb...
@martifingers: this is really making a huge difference in how the acoustic sounds and have managed to follow this up as well as the video of Paul Davids...can I ask some more help...

In his video at approx 11:38 he is mentioning a setting at -15db...any idea of what he is actually doing here and in which of the steps above and to which track should this be applied please.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:00 PM   #52
martifingers

Hi emann. Glad it's working for you although I suspect the other couple of methods suggested in response to mine may be even better (I haven't got round to trying them yet though.)

Re the Paul David video: I think this must refer to the amount of the track that gets sent to the reverb bus. If you look at the dialogue box you get when you set up the send (called control track XXX I think) there are two sliders which control how much of the recording gets sent to the bus. The left hand one controls the volume and so Paul is suggesting that it should be fairly low (so as not to dominate the track it's being sent to I guess).

But really the numbers are not so important as whether it sounds right. By varying the amount you can alter the effect considerably to your own taste.

Hope that helps.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:45 AM   #53
emann

Thanks a lot martifingers...that explains it much better.

I tried to use the other method and karbomusic was also so kind to send me a video but I still could not figure out his setup and 1/2 or 3/4 and when to use the fxchain...maybe my layout is different and I could not follow so I thought to get to grasp well on this other option of yours....if you manage to try it and succeed I would appreciate it if you can assist me then!

thanks so much.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:02 AM   #54
Superfly76

This is an excellent tip! Definitely going in my bag of home studio tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4greg View Post
one trick I always repeat is to use readelay with a 5-10 seconds delay at 100%wet.

It's great for recording yourself. you play, then stop. Then listen to what's coming out of your headphones/monitors. You only get the mic sound without the guitar, so it's much easier to judge if you have a good guitar sound or not.

Then you move the mic around, play and listen again. rinse/repeat until you get a good sound. I know where the sweet spot is for my guitar, (12th fret pointing at the soundhole, about 20 cm away) so it doesn't take me a lot of time these days..

but yeah. just move the mic until you get something ear pleasing.