Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 10-13-2019, 10:09 PM   #1
SamGuitar91
Human being with feelings

Default Need Help With Focusrite Solo Solo 2nd Gen Interface In Reaper Linux

Hello there Linux family,

I just bought a Reaper license today since I've been using Reaper forever, and have recently installed Debian on my old gaming / audio computer.

I have Debian running with Awesome Window manager, and have been loving it.

The only issue is that after installing Reaper with the included .sh script, and then running it, I was greeted with a message, "Error opening devices", There was an error opening the audio hardware.

I tried digging in previous posts on this forum, and the OP in this thread said he had to use "ALSA" to get his audio to work for this interface to have priority over pulseaudio:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....e+Scarlett+2i2

With this in mind, can anyone lend a totally idiot beginner like myself a hand in terms of just linking to the right direction of what to do in a case like mine, as I would like to first be able to use my audio interface, and then also add what's called "JACK" and then "Carla" for VSTs later on.

I just got an Arturia MIDI keyboard that I'm excited to try out the related Arturia V collection synths in Reaper Linux with, but am stumbling on the beginning steps of getting the audio interface to work.

I'm not scared of any terminal usage or anything like that as I do some web dev stuff on the side and prefer using Linux, but I'm super new to the audio side of Linux. I'm used to the interface just being recognized from the get-go in Reaper for Windows, so I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks a ton, and hope everyone is doing well!

Sincerely,

Sam
SamGuitar91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:36 PM   #2
Glennbo

I used to have a pair of M-Audio Delta 2496 cards and never could make everything work using ALSA, so back then I used JACK with qJackCtrl to configure it. Since then I've switched to an external Behringer UMC1820 USB audio interface and ALSA works with it and it's midi with hardly and setup.

Last edited by Glennbo; 10-14-2019 at 05:35 AM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:43 PM   #3
sub26nico

I use a Scarlett 2i2 2nd gen with ALSA or JACK without issue on Debian Buster or LibraZiK distros. Maybe a kernel issue from your side or specific audio configuration... My advice is to use an audio-oriented distro (AV Linux, LibraZiK or Io.gnu.linux if you want to stay on Debian) or add KX Studio repos to your system.
sub26nico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:37 PM   #4
SamGuitar91

Well, I would have liked it a bit if you guys lent me a hand since it was a bit hard, but I made do and found a related guide on how to do it on YouTube with Carla, and also found a related forum post regarding how to install Arturia Collection software with WINE, link here: https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=93137.0

That being said, I still need help so can anyone please help me with Carla in Reaper.

Here's what I currently have under Preferences > VST plug-in paths:

/home/sam/.vst;/home/sam/.vst3;/home/winVST/win32VST;/home/winVST/win64VST;/usr/lib/carla

I recently installed the Arturia collection synths successfully, so they're present in the win64VST folder as I see their .dll files present.

The issue is that when I load a new track, select FX, and search, I don't see Carla anywhere even after I clicked "Rescan" in Preferences.

Any idea if my path to Carla is wrong?

The output of whereis carla is:

/usr/bin/carla /usr/lib/carla /usr/include/carla /usr/share/carla
Old 10-17-2019, 08:27 PM   #5
SamGuitar91

Hello,

So as an update I finally got Carla to be recognized as it was present in the usr/lib/vst folder.

The current issue is even after I load a track with Carla rack, and go into settings and set the Experimental Features on in order to include Plugin Bridges, I'm only seeing the following drop down menu options for paths:

LADSPA DSSI LV2 VST2 VST3 SF2/3 SFZ

What am I missing in order to also include the heavily desirable VST plugin format?
Old 10-17-2019, 09:02 PM   #6
SamGuitar91

Also I went through and made sure each of the following were installed:

carla-bridge-win32
carla-bridge-win64
carla-bridge-wine64
carla-bridge-wine32:i386
carla-plugins-lv2
carla-data
carla-lv2
carla-vst
carla-bridge-linux64
carla-git
carla-bridge-linux32:i386

Still no "VST" dropdown present .

I also have all the Experimental settings turned on too if that helps.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:08 PM   #7
Glennbo

For using Carla in REAPER I just unpacked the files right into,

~/.vst/Carla_2.0.0-linux64/

The next launch of REAPER a bunch of Carla entries were there.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:06 PM   #8
s wave

Hey how is it going WELCOME! I have used the SOLO on various setup and find it very versatile and forgiving. I think I mentioned the PULSE/ALSA thing for various mobos and drivers... how they interact with the interfaces or routing.

If you are fairly new - it would be nice to get the ALSA GUI - ALSA MIXER. This way you can check the routing or if you need to UNMUTE something. On a board or two I had to unmute or raise a volume level... and this was the easy fix.

The other thing that was so helpful was to run a LOG (or messages) or a SYSLOG so you can see every small change that might happen. (sometimes I believe you might have to start the program in a terminal to have complete access? - trying to remember) And I remember some mobos with PULSE would jump back in to control the sound engine - so you could test thru disabling pulse too.

Just tell us where you are at - and we all will figure it out quick... take care...jogging my memory...
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:43 PM   #9
s wave

[I did not catch if you loaded jack - install either jack 1 or jack 2 (the versions are not necessarily better, one than the other usually - look at the specific advantages) Then install Qjackctrl the GUI.]

info here:https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaud...ce_jack1_jack2
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote