Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-19-2019, 09:49 AM   #1
earhax
Human being with feelings

Default Record ONLY time selection - nothing before/after?

I've tried both time selection auto punch recording mode as well as normal mode with repeat on or off, but can't seem to figure out how to ONLY record for the amount of time and position of the time selection (without any added handles containing anything outside of the time selection). Is this possible? And of so, how?
earhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:15 AM   #2
foxAsteria

prefs/loop recording
Old 09-20-2019, 01:39 AM   #3
earhax

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
prefs/loop recording
What setting do I need to change here to make this work as intended?

Also, will this only work if loop recording is enabled? And is that just leaving the 'repeat' toggled on and hitting record, or is there some other thing I need to do to enable/start loop recording?

Basically, I have a very long project to print, and want it to print in real time rather than an offline render so that I can listen while it is bouncing down. But also, at times I will step in/out of the studio, so I want to be able to print something within a time selection rather than loop recording, and have the project stop playing/recording at the end of the selection. How can I do that?
Old 09-20-2019, 01:43 AM   #4
uncleswede

If you use a pre-roll, maybe you are seeing pre-roll recording?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D81EZvdxJjA
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:15 AM   #5
poetnprophet

You Right clicked on the Record button and chose Time Select auto punch and it didn't work? I use that all the time just like that. Transport will continue but recording will not in this mode....you still have to press stop

is it that you want the transport to also stop at the end of the time selection automatically?
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:21 AM   #6
foxAsteria

Well if this is about mixing down short sections, just create regions where you want your renders and use the region matrix to add them all to the render queue. I thought you wanted recordings to be the length of the time selection, which is what the prefs are for.

To get a recording to stop at a certain time you can use custom actions with the "wait for end of loop" action or smart markers or you can just run renders from the queue one at a time or all at once.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:11 AM   #7
earhax

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
You Right clicked on the Record button and chose Time Select auto punch and it didn't work? I use that all the time just like that. Transport will continue but recording will not in this mode....you still have to press stop

is it that you want the transport to also stop at the end of the time selection automatically?
Okay this is weird. I'm not sure what changed, but the last time I tried the "time selection auto punch" record mode, it kept recording after the time selection in the file recorded. So even though it only showed the recorded item within the time selection, I could drag the right handle and see the additional data there. But I just tried this again, and now it actually stopped recording at the end of the time selection. So hooray for that!
Old 09-25-2019, 08:19 AM   #8
earhax

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Well if this is about mixing down short sections, just create regions where you want your renders and use the region matrix to add them all to the render queue. I thought you wanted recordings to be the length of the time selection, which is what the prefs are for.

To get a recording to stop at a certain time you can use custom actions with the "wait for end of loop" action or smart markers or you can just run renders from the queue one at a time or all at once.
Yeah, the main reason I am trying to do it this way is because when using the 'render' option for the items I am trying to bounce, for some reason, they all end up being -6dB quieter than they are in the project. When I record to a print track, they record properly/not attenuated.

Just to give a bit more info, what I need to do here is bounce out mono stems for each channel of 5.1 and quad mixes. So I have exploded the multichannel takes onto separate tracks, and hard panned and routed each channel to the appropriate output. It all sounds fine through the track folder containing the exploded channels for these items. But when I use the 'render to file' option for items, and regardless of if I tick the box for 'mono media to mono files' they all are rendered -6dB quieter than the items actually are in the tracks.

if anyone has any idea why this happens or how to fix it, please let me know. It would definitely be much easier/faster to just use the render options for all of these items.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:46 AM   #9
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by earhax View Post
if anyone has any idea why this happens or how to fix it, please let me know.
I would update the thread with that question instead. Or start another one.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:52 AM   #10
poetnprophet

What's your pan law?
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:17 AM   #11
earhax

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
What's your pan law?
Not at the office now, so not sure. But you think it could be the fact that the tracks are panned? Is there some way that rendering items could ignore track output volume/mute/panning/FX status, and only render the item without taking the track settings into account?
Old 07-01-2020, 08:15 PM   #12
herbalgerm

Default mono summing /phase cancellation

It could be phase cancellation. Are the tracks recorded in stereo and then summed to mono from a stereo file?
herbalgerm is offline   Reply With Quote