Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-05-2019, 10:37 AM   #1
CraigG58
Human being with feelings

Default Recording directly into REAPER using a USB audio interface

Excuse me if this is a newbie question, but I'm new to USB audio interfaces...

First, my current “one man band” home studio configuration:
  • An aging Tascam DP-32SD recorder, which has 8 XLR inputs and can record up to 8 tracks simultaneously.
7 of the inputs are being used by drum mics, in order to get them onto separate tracks for later DAW tweaking (plugins, panning, automation, etc.). The 8th input is being fed from my mixer, from which everything else is plugged into and recorded separately.

However, I still have a requirement of being able to record 8 tracks at once, as my bass drum sub-kick mic is plugged into the mixer, since I'm out of inputs on the recorder. So, in actuality I'm really using 8 drum mics.

After all tracks are recorded, they are transferred via a USB connection on the recorder over to my PC, to add as individual media items in REAPER.
  • I'm interested in a USB audio interface to totally replace the Tascam, and record everything directly into REAPER.
Unless I'm mistaken, the problem would seem to be the ability to only record one track at a time, since there is only a single USB connection from the interface to my PC. I could certainly be mistaken, but wouldn't that remove the ability to simultaneously record 8 drum mics onto 8 different REAPER tracks?

Anyway, am I going down the wrong path here?

I've been looking at the BEHRINGER U-PHORIA UMC1820 8-channel interface, but the documentation doesn't have much to say on the subject. If indeed that unit won't fit the requirements I've outlined above, perhaps there's another USB interface that would?

Wow, that's a lot of questions, sorry about that.

Suggestions, anyone? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by CraigG58; 08-05-2019 at 10:42 AM.
CraigG58 is offline   Reply With Quote