Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 10-22-2021, 08:11 AM   #41
Triode
Human being with feelings

Ferropop recently started a thread for discussion about potential for comping with lanes here:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=258516

I'm just thinking the devs might be percieving all this comping discussion in recent dev threads as noise. I know it's exciting...
Old 10-22-2021, 09:42 AM   #42
Phazma

I also think that it is better to discuss the new comping system (and I am sure a discussion would be useful for inspiring the devs) in a dedicated thread and keep the dev build threads clean for discussing the actual included features.

Btw comping is not something that is part of my workflow so I won't participate that actively in the discussion but I want to express my respect and gratitude to the devs nonetheless for diligently tackling one by one these old and highly sought after but very complex to implement feature requests like RE and comping. Reaper is already ahead of the competition in most areas and for the few major features it still lacks it is catching up quickly (contrary to the other DAWs that are always "good for this but bad for that"). Keep the great work up!
Phazma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:35 AM   #43
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothys_monster View Post
I have a question regarding plugin focus on Linux:

Space bar works fine with the plugin UI focused after opening an FX.

But as soon as you manipulate any of the parameters by clicking in the plugin, you can't reproduce the project anymore until you re-focus the arrange view.

Has that always been the case on Linux or is it a regression in the last versions?
It's a JUCE thing. If the plugin was made with JUCE, whether it's VST2/3 or LV2, it most likely behaves this way. More info about that is on this thread:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=237954

(I also coincidentally found that bug in Reaper while testing it and trying to narrow down where the issue was.)
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:38 AM   #44
timothys_monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
It's a JUCE thing. If the plugin was made with JUCE, whether it's VST2/3 or LV2, it most likely behaves this way. More info about that is on this thread:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=237954

(I also coincidentally found that bug in Reaper while testing it and trying to narrow down where the issue was.)
Thanks, JP. I will have a proper read on the topic then. I just didn't remember it happening in the past, but then I haven't been on Linux much lately.
timothys_monster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:19 AM   #45
Xasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
# Linux: improve KWin fullscreen behavior
With this version, the Z-order of floating windows is now working as expected in Ubuntu 20.04 (even though the stated fix here was for KWin).

Many thanks!!!
Xasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 12:07 PM   #46
Phazma

If I understand correctly, the recent dev cycles are trying to solve some issues with windows and window focusing (at least on Linux)? Maybe it is the right time to address the following macOS issue too..

There is this behavior on macOS (I use High Sierra), not sure if I can call it "bug", where a window demanding user input can sometimes disappear, forcing the user to force quit Reaper. I wanted to mention it here since a few days but only now I have found out one way how to trigger it consistently.

- Add the Action "Track: Set to custom color..." to the 'Track control panel context' menu
- Add a track
- Focus another application so that Reaper loses focus
- Right-click the track in unfocused Reaper and run the action

The color picker window does not appear and is nowhere to be found, but Reaper seems to expect the user to deal with that window. As long as that window isn't dealt with, Reaper can do nothing, as if it had frozen. Reaper can not even be closed, however according to macOS it is still responsive, so no Force Quit option, except in the Activity Monitor of course.

When force quitting Reaper and reopening it afterwards the color picker appears.

I am aware that 99.9% of Reaper users will not have this action in the right click context menu for the tcp and run it while focusing another app. But this is only one way to trigger this situation consistently and I can recall other situations with other windows (not just the color picker) where the same thing happened. And when this happens in the middle of a productive session it can be very frustrating.

I don't know what can be done about it, but I hope something. Maybe make the focus of certain windows like the color picker less rigid (or get rid of forcing user input at all)? Or find a way to prevent windows which force user input to ever get hidden?
Old 10-22-2021, 01:02 PM   #47
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
This video shows everything I love about quick swiping. The collapsible takes, everything in one track and easy swipe to activate sections of a take. What could be simpler, more intuitive, or friendlier? I even like the composite take at the top that shows everything assembled. Just do it like that and life will be great

https://youtu.be/rkdAWcU57Sc
+1000 Logic's comp system is the best around no doubt.

Check also this video showing the editing mode. You can change to this mode and then you are able to edit any part, split, move, stretch etc.. The possibilities are endless. I would love if we could also edit the comps in Reaper in the future.

https://youtu.be/-vepaE-H4EU?t=208
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:41 PM   #48
Gass n Klang

Quote:
This video shows everything I love about quick swiping. The collapsible takes, everything in one track and easy swipe to activate sections of a take. What could be simpler, more intuitive, or friendlier? I even like the composite take at the top that shows everything assembled. Just do it like that and life will be great

ok you got me. That's great. Especially with the possibility of using it this way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7fPNlm0ots

It seems like Logic indeed perfectly combines Swipe comping with Pro Tools playlists. That's how it should work!
Old 10-22-2021, 03:43 PM   #49
pentecost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
There is this behavior on macOS (I use High Sierra), not sure if I can call it "bug", where a window demanding user input can sometimes disappear, forcing the user to force quit Reaper.
I think this happened to me with the render windows on W11 the other day. Didn't auto-close and I couldn't interact with anything else. I just chalked it up to W11 growing pains at the time.
pentecost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 04:14 PM   #50
Teddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZpercussion View Post
1. Allow razor edit on lanes, not on whole tracks.

2. To make cursor paste positon sensitive to lanes.

3. To make an actions for toggle solo and hide lanes. (As example click on lane number to hide others, and click with modifier to solo lane. Also it could be done faster via actions in action list looking on mouse position.)

4. To add an action for copying current razor area content to the first line.

5. To make an action for copying current razor area to a new lane or on a first possible line if there is a space. (Auto switch on fixed lanes mode if not yet.)

6. Add track grouping parameter: razor edit.

7. Allow lanes reordering (respect grouping and without)
Oh man, this list is so good. Summed up all my dreams.
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 12:27 AM   #51
PhelixK

Quote:
There is this behavior on macOS (I use High Sierra), not sure if I can call it "bug", where a window demanding user input can sometimes disappear, forcing the user to force quit Reaper. I wanted to mention it here since a few days but only now I have found out one way how to trigger it consistently.
Hi, I’m thinking it is specific to High Sierra, at least I haven’t experienced those issues on Mojave (or Catalina).
https://i.imgur.com/F3Whk6e.gif -the palette also pops up if Reaper is in full screen mode.
PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 01:01 AM   #52
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post
Hi, I’m thinking it is specific to High Sierra, at least I haven’t experienced those issues on Mojave (or Catalina).
https://i.imgur.com/F3Whk6e.gif -the palette also pops up if Reaper is in full screen mode.
Thanks for investigating and great that you showed a gif. It made me realize another condition:
- It only happens when Reaper and the other app are on two different screens

Do you have dual screens and could test this? Or could anyone else on macOS with dual screens test it?

Btw I am using a combination of Macbook retina display as secondary screen (eg. for other apps) and a normal full HD screen as main screen for Reaper. Don't know if that may play a role too.
Old 10-23-2021, 01:30 AM   #53
PhelixK

Quote:
Thanks for investigating and great that you showed a gif. It made me realize another condition:
- It only happens when Reaper and the other app are on two different screens

Do you have dual screens and could test this? Or could anyone else on macOS with dual screens test it?

Btw I am using a combination of Macbook retina display as secondary screen (eg. for other apps) and a normal full HD screen as main screen for Reaper. Don't know if that may play a role too.
Yes can't reproduce, here it works the same having another app on OS menu display and Reaper on secondary, or vice versa. Tried also mirrored displays. Adv. settings ↓

Last edited by PhelixK; 02-12-2023 at 04:06 AM.
PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 01:46 AM   #54
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post
Yes can't reproduce, here it works the same having another app on OS menu display and Reaper on secondary, or vice versa. Tried also mirrored displays. Adv. settings ↓
Ok, thanks for trying to help anyway. Your adv. settings don't change anything for me (also resetting to default doesn't). Maybe it is a High Sierra bug, or maybe it is something affecting only my system.. probably will be impossible for the devs to track down :/
Old 10-23-2021, 02:42 AM   #55
paaltio

Quote:

This kind of perfectly illustrates the problem. He even comments that Pro Tools's system requires you to promote the take manually... and then proceeds to cut and move the original take around. That's exactly why PT does it: so you don't have to do that!

Of course Logic then later on introduced track alternatives which basically copies Pro Tools's playlists, so they do have both now.

I do still think REAPER can achieve both with the new lane system. But I agree this is best discussed in its own thread, so leaving it at that!
paaltio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 02:39 PM   #56
Vagalume

Quote:

Finally, I can see the beneficts of all of this. Ty dude.
Vagalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 02:42 PM   #57
Jae.Thomas

that looks very much like the idea behind the now gone solo markers -
having the waveform on top is a good thing, too.

I think with a better implementation and with some other functions, we could have this
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 04:11 PM   #58
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagalume View Post
Finally, I can see the beneficts of all of this. Ty dude.
You bet. If I had all the features in that video I would be the happiest freaking daw user ever on the planet

Coachz Repo
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote