Old 05-24-2019, 02:00 PM   #1
TPB3333
Human being with feelings

Default How to deal with multi output tracks?

Hey,

I have a drum machine vst with 16 multichannel outputs. I know how to set it all up but it leaves your project to be such a mess. Are there any tricks to organise these properly. I can't seem to make my vst track into a group containing the multichannel output tracks as it won't send anything to these tracks.

Hope you can help out,

Regards,
Toon
TPB3333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:08 PM   #2
dug dog

Have you checked out this Reaper Mania vid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CzL_7NPysk
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:20 PM   #3
TPB3333

Yes but that doesn't really solve my problem. I don't need separate midi tracks, just audio tracks, but I want to be able to collapse them while I'm not using them. What would be perfect is if I could make the vst track the folder which contains the multi channel tracks. Or something similar to that, because then it would be organised but easily accessible.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:46 PM   #4
dug dog

That's pretty much what I do.

I have the VST instrument on one track and, then, right next to it, a folder that contains all the audio tracks. I collapse or expand that folder as required. Also, using the track manager, I get rid of all the audio tracks in the track control panel and just show them in the mixer control panel.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:52 PM   #5
Coachz

which drum machine ? Many have a mixer built in and you can just output stereo, otherwise you can make 16 tracks in a folder under the drum machine track and send to it.

Creating the routing is also easy ad dug dog pointed out.

https://youtu.be/8CzL_7NPysk?t=90
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:53 PM   #6
dug dog

I may not have understood what you're asking. If you search Youtube for the Reaper Blog or Reaper Mania, one of them (maybe both) has a video showing how to set up the audio routing for multi channel VST instruments.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:19 PM   #7
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPB3333 View Post
Yes but that doesn't really solve my problem. I don't need separate midi tracks, just audio tracks, but I want to be able to collapse them while I'm not using them. What would be perfect is if I could make the vst track the folder which contains the multi channel tracks. Or something similar to that, because then it would be organised but easily accessible.
Yeah, you can't use the VSTi track as a parent, you have add a track just above the VSTi track and make that the parent track.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:58 PM   #8
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Yeah, you can't use the VSTi track as a parent, you have add a track just above the VSTi track and make that the parent track.
Huh? I have a drums folder with a midi and an audio folder. The midi folder has the vsti in it and the audio folder has 16 audio tracks receiving sends from the midi multichannel outs. Am I missing something? This has worked great for me. Of course the midi folder io has the parent send disabled.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:49 PM   #9
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Huh? I have a drums folder with a midi and an audio folder. The midi folder has the vsti in it and the audio folder has 16 audio tracks receiving sends from the midi multichannel outs. Am I missing something? This has worked great for me. Of course the midi folder io has the parent send disabled.
What tracks are the parent tracks?
Old 05-25-2019, 03:00 AM   #10
Coachz

Quote:
What tracks are the parent tracks?
Drums
..midi with drum vsti, parent send off, sends on different channels to kick, snare, etc

..audio
....kick
....snare
....16 tracks total, more if you have routing to them
Old 05-25-2019, 03:38 AM   #11
TPB3333

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not saying that it doesn't work. To me it just looks a bit clunky and cluttered. Especially if you have multiple of these multi output vsti's in your project. They take up a lot of space, and hiding the tracks in the TCP makes them a lot less accessable. For instance in studio one if you route the 16 channel multi output, the output tracks are fully hidable with one single knob on the vsti track (I think, its been a long time since I used it).
Old 05-25-2019, 04:03 AM   #12
TPB3333

Is there maybe a way to hide the multi output tracks, and then save the entirety of the whole thing to a track template? That would come close to what I need.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:31 AM   #13
TPB3333

Found a way to hide them. Damn I love reaper but these kind of things are just better thought of in other DAWs IMO. But then again it would probably limit customization possibilities.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:21 AM   #14
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPB3333 View Post
Found a way to hide them. Damn I love reaper but these kind of things are just better thought of in other DAWs IMO. But then again it would probably limit customization possibilities.
And you can hide them but I just collapse the folders. nothing clunky here but that's just my workflow
Old 05-26-2019, 07:46 PM   #15
hopi

yeah collapse them in the folder... there are two levels of collapse and the smallest one is barely even visible

just keep clicking [<--- think I'll make that my new motto ]
Old 05-26-2019, 08:47 PM   #16
Tod

Quote:
Drums
..midi with drum vsti, parent send off, sends on different channels to kick, snare, etc

..audio
....kick
....snare
....16 tracks total, more if you have routing to them
So you've got "Drums" as the parent track and the VSTi (which is also the midi track) is right below that and is a child track.

Yes that should work because the VSTi is not the parent track.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:34 AM   #17
Coachz

Quote:
So you've got "Drums" as the parent track and the VSTi (which is also the midi track) is right below that and is a child track.

Yes that should work because the VSTi is not the parent track.
Yes and works great. I have dozens of projects set up this way