Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 12-22-2007, 08:43 PM   #1
shane
Human being with feelings

Default Autorender - Utility to render regions to separate audio files and tag

ATTN!

Autorender is now part of SWS Extensions. Please try out the new version and submit feature requests and bug reports to the SWS issue tracker.

To use:
1. File/Autorender/Edit Project Metadata, set your metadata, and then save.
2. Set your render options if you need to (run a dummy render and select your desired settings).
3. File/Autorender/Batch Render

The old AutoHotkey version is now discontinued and won't be maintained (but is still available at the old Google code site.

Last edited by shane; 02-02-2011 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Update
shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:14 PM   #2
tenkas

Sorry to all, I was using an old version (Probably found in the RESOURCES download page) It was version 2.0

The new version ROCKS!!!!!

Keep up the good work!

P.S. : Fun thing (already mentioned here) would be not to have anything else in the file name than what is written in the REGION name.

01 - song 1
02 - Song 2

would be

Song 1
Song 2

thanks!
tenkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:01 AM   #3
willmorton

Hi Shane, I don't suppose you've had chance to look at the auto-prefixing of filenames have you? Cheers!
Old 07-22-2008, 10:56 AM   #4
shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by willmorton View Post
Hi Shane, I don't suppose you've had chance to look at the auto-prefixing of filenames have you? Cheers!
Sorry, I didn't see this request the first time. New version up with a numberOutputFiles variable in the ini file, which is overridable by a project note variable of the same name. This option shows up in the GUI as well.

One word of caution: Sequentially numbering the output files ensured that each filename was unique. If you have two regions with the same name and render without track numbering, the latter will overwrite the former...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkas
Sorry to all, I was using an old version (Probably found in the RESOURCES download page)
My fault. I shouldn't leave old versions lying around...
Old 07-22-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
shane

Ok, version 3.0. w00t.

Changes:
  • Added optional filename prefix (in GUI or project notes variable filenamePrefix)
  • Handling temporary disabling of setting media items offline when Reaper loses focus (if needed) now actually works
  • Non unique region names that are not being sequentially numbered will have a number added to make them unique
  • Should now handle project offsets
Old 07-22-2008, 06:27 PM   #6
jakerock

Shane,
Thanks so much for your continued development of Autorender...
It is indispensable around here.

Best, J
Old 10-20-2008, 06:19 PM   #7
shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane View Post
The code has to be updated when Reaper's forms change (unless the fields are given static names...)
The problem is stated above. The controls in the render dialog don't have static names, so any time a control is added or deleted Autorender's control map has to be updated.

Newest version should be working. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:00 AM   #8
jmccabe

Quote:
The problem is stated above. The controls in the render dialog don't have static names, so any time a control is added or deleted Autorender's control map has to be updated.
I thought that would be the problem, I just wasn't sure whether or not you were aware of the latest one having changed.

Quote:
Newest version should be working. Thanks.
Excellent. And thanks for all your efforts, one of the most useful tools I've used!

All the best
John
jmccabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:33 AM   #9
shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccabe View Post
I thought that would be the problem, I just wasn't sure whether or not you were aware of the latest one having changed.
I definitely appreciate being alerted to version conflicts. I'm a little slow to catch them sometimes...
Old 01-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #10
thetriguy

Default Thanks!

Hey, I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to put Auto Render on here! I had to record my buddy's band the other night (just using an out from his board into my Micro BR). I recorded in MP3 mode, and just kept it running for four hours. After all was done, I was able to just create regions of all the songs and walk away, when I got back all the songs were rendered as separate mp3's, which I burned to some CD's for him. It saved me a TON of time, and I just wanted to say thanks!

Mark Stephens
thetriguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:07 PM   #11
shane

Hi all. Sorry for not replying for so long, I wasn't receiving notifications of new posts.

The current version of Autorender is written in AutoHotKey, which is Windows only. I'm starting to work on a new version of Autorender that uses the Reaper API and should be OS independent. The new version will be part of the SWS extension.

This means that Autorender will be much more reliable and stable, more flexible concerning tagging options and formats, and available on Macs. The downside is that we're basically starting from scratch on functionality, and that the old version won't be getting much attention as far as updates go.

I'm working to get the baseline functionality working in the new format (batch rendering and tagging). Once that's done I'll look over these latest requests and see how feasible they would be to implement.

In the meantime, if there's something that you really need in the current version of Autorender please post a feature request to the Google code page:

http://code.google.com/p/autorender/issues/list

Thanks,
Shane
Old 01-15-2011, 05:11 PM   #12
beingmf

Hi Shane! This is some great great news! I never got Autorender to work (no matter what I tried – and I have no clue, why), and it would have saved me hours and hours of audiobook editing time (and failures ).
Thanks for your efforts, this is an invaluable tool for many of us!
beingmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:45 PM   #13
nofish

Also wanted to say thanks for your work shane.

I use Autorender a lot (worked always fine for me) and integration in SWS extensions will be even nicer.

Looking forward to it.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #14
shane

Ok, the new baseline version of Autorender is now baked into SWS extensions. The old Autohotkey version will be discontinued. Try out the new version here:

http://code.google.com/p/sws-extension/downloads/list

All the features from the original haven't been restored yet, but the new version seems to be much more reliable and faster. Note that there's no render format selection during batch rendering now...it just uses the last used format so run a small dummy render if you need to change the output settings.

If you desperately need an old feature implemented feel free to add an issue to the SWS issue tracker:

http://code.google.com/p/sws-extension/issues/list
Old 12-29-2007, 07:35 AM   #15
jakerock

Shane...
Just wanted to drop a line an say thanks again for this 'little miracle'... I used it the other night to cut up and export 10 live shows to mp3 for a fella to reference to choose songs for a live record... Pretty cool that when it comes time to render .wav's that everything is all set up already.

It works great, the only issues I had were when I had named a region and inadvertently hit the spacebar, or an odd character like a forward slash at the end... It rendered, but didnt rename the mp3, but now that I think of it, that is probably an issue with the tagger app that you included, not your AutoHotKeys App.

Oh... Not a big deal, but I commonly name files like this "=AUDIO FILES=" (with the equal signs on either end of the file name, so that they are sorted to the top of the window in Explorer...
The app doesnt like this and defaults to the root directory...
Like I said no big deal to make another directory somewhere and render them to there to move later, but interesting.

Thanks so much!
Old 12-29-2007, 10:32 AM   #16
zeke

Is there a way to autoname regions?
zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 01:42 PM   #17
Bevosss

Not sure if anyone saw this in the tool thread, so I'll post it here to keep it available:

Quote:

I made a macro for speeding up the regioning process for single items (ala rendered final mixes)...just put all your items onto one track, select the first item, and press Alt-9 (or whatever you want). It'll insert a region to that item and open up the edit box...name the region and hit enter, and it'll go to the next item to region, hit Alt-9 again etc. Saves me a bit of leg work anyway!
Bevosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 02:25 PM   #18
zeke

Damn...That macro was pretty close. I changed "Select and move to next item" to "next track", but that way i can't edit region names.

I wonder if it's possible to use Region ID as default region name. That way every marker would have a name automatically.
zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:32 AM   #19
shane

New version up with a few improvements:
Double clicking the autorender tray icon opens render directory
= character now allowed in filenames/user variables
Regions with trailing spaces or slashes now tagged
Old 05-11-2009, 03:36 PM   #20
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerock View Post
... but I commonly name files like this "=AUDIO FILES=" (with the equal signs on either end of the file name, so that they are sorted to the top of the window in Explorer.
You can try instead e.g. _ or stop using Explorer and replacing it with something which allows .extension filtering. You could try e.g. FreeCommander.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:57 AM   #21
shane

Ok, 30 years later the Artist - Album region name parsing that lossfound asked for has been implemented. The folder structure (should you choose to build it) is still based on the artist info you supply in the UI or in the project notes, so you'd put "Various Artists" or whatever there. Bug reports welcome.

Regarding batch processing, frog_jr also developed an AHK script to convert markers to regions:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=18238

I'll try to check more into adding auto-regioning functionality, but it sounds like a two step solution has been found...

Last edited by shane; 05-20-2009 at 02:59 AM. Reason: _
shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:42 PM   #22
shane

Auto-regioning is now implemented, based on a modified version of Bevosss' method.

If you run Autorender on a project with no regions it will ask if you want to autogenerate them, and then if you want to use item filenames as the track names or manually enter your own. Select the track with the items first or you'll get nagged...

You could also drag some items onto their own tracks (with different FX), just make sure to select all the tracks with the items you want to region.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:39 AM   #23
lossfound

Shane, on both counts of added functionality, I hereby grant you the keys to the Internet. This makes my year. Thank you so much for saving me even more scads of time.
lossfound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:17 AM   #24
nofish

Quote:
Auto-regioning is now implemented..
Wow, now we have the batch processing tool I begged for. This is so cool.
Will be a huge time saver here also. Shane, your work is much apreciated, thanks a lot.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote