Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-20-2006, 08:28 PM   #1
billybk1
Human being with feelings

Default Wow, it may be time to finally buck up!

I just installed the latest v1.41 release and now one of my last remaining problems has seamingly been addressed. Not sure if it was intentional or it was inadvertant. But when I uncheck the new default option "Solos default to in-place solo" this bug that I listed in a previous thread appears to be fixed now:

2) When using multi-out VSTi's (like my EZdrummer) with UAD-1 plugins and routing those tracks to another track (bus) you get distorted audio when using the solo/mute functions. You have to stop and re-start playback to get rid of it.

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3621

Mixing with EZdrummer & UAD-1 plugins:

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/...ummerUAD1s.jpg

(19) track project using EZdrummer VSTi, in multi-out mode, (12) UAD-1 plugins (96% DSP on 2 cards) @ 128 samples (2.9msec) project latency. Average total native CPU usage 7%-12%. After making a few UAD-1 friendly performance tweaks in REAPER's "Preference's", playback using UAD-1 plugins is nearly flawless. Project renders are perfect. Loving the TranzPort support too!

Look's like it may be time to finally buck up and get me a REAPER license.

Cheers,

Billy Buck

Last edited by billybk1; 11-21-2006 at 05:17 AM.
billybk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:32 AM   #2
billybk1

Well, I finally did it. EZdrummer & my UAD-1 plugins have been working so well lately, in the latest v1.41 version that I just had to purchase an official REAPER license. Being able to fully utilize my TranzPort wireless DAW controller in REAPER is just icing on the cake!

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/...nginREAPER.jpg

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/...erinREAPER.jpg

Cheers,

Billy Buck

Last edited by billybk1; 11-22-2006 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:11 AM   #3
Jed

awesome Billy - welcome in!

Cheers
Jed
Jed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 01:52 AM   #4
akoustic

Billy,

great to hear your success with UAD & Reaper... any chance you could share some settings, i.e. UAD driver version, UAD Control panel settings, Reaper tweeks, ASIO etc... would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:26 AM   #5
billybk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoustic View Post
Billy,

great to hear your success with UAD & Reaper... any chance you could share some settings, i.e. UAD driver version, UAD Control panel settings, Reaper tweeks, ASIO etc... would be appreciated, thanks.
Yes, I am using the latest UAD-1 v4.5 VST and all of the UAD-1 Performance Meter configuration settings are kept at their defaults. For best performance, (ie no native CPU munching) I keep my Delta .51 ASIO @ 128 samples. I've included a link to a tweaking guide, for optimizing REAPER for UAD-1 use. I have (2) cards and have been able to maximize my DSP usage (96% / 12-17 UAD-1 plugins at one time), in REAPER projects with hardly any significant native CPU usage. I will get the occasional CPU spike in some projects when first starting playback. But, after a few moments the native CPU drops back down to normal levels. I just built myself a brand new E6300 Duo Core/ASUS P5B-E DAW and the performance is incredible. A REAPER project with 20+ tracks (incl an instance of EZ drummer VSTi in multi-out mode) and 12 UAD-1 PPI's (96% DSP) @ ASIO 128 samples will consume 8%-14% total native CPU!

Optimizing guide for using UAD-1 with REAPER (v1.41 and above):

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/...withREAPER.jpg

I am going to be picking up my 3rd card (UAD-1e) to compliment my existing UAD-1 PCI cards, before those generous UA promotions/discounts, end on Dec 31st.

Cheers,

Billy Buck
Old 11-23-2006, 08:14 AM   #6
akoustic

Billy,

thanks so much for your detailed post on the UAD1 setup with Reaper. Appreciate the time you took explaining your setup plus motherboard recommendations as i know some chipsets behave better performance than others on PCI bus.

super cool post, & thanks once again for sharing
Old 11-23-2006, 08:35 AM   #7
cyberturbo

Billy,

Congrats on getting the license! 2.9msec, that's sweet. Glad to see things are finally running smooth for you.
cyberturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:41 AM   #8
billybk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoustic View Post
Billy,

thanks so much for your detailed post on the UAD1 setup with Reaper. Appreciate the time you took explaining your setup plus motherboard recommendations as i know some chipsets behave better performance than others on PCI bus.

super cool post, & thanks once again for sharing

My pleasure, just paying it forward
Old 11-23-2006, 10:53 AM   #9
billybk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberturbo View Post
Billy,

Congrats on getting the license! 2.9msec, that's sweet. Glad to see things are finally running smooth for you.

Thanks, now I am 100% legit Yeah, now I do everything in REAPER @ 2.9msec which seems to be the sweet spot. I really appreciate that "VST Plugins: Save all Banks" tip. I completely missed that one. It makes a big difference when using a VSTi like EZdrummer.