Old 12-06-2019, 03:48 PM   #201
Evan
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
I pointed that out in the first pre-release thread for the theme. WT's response was "You've misunderstood the purpose of that website" with no further explanation.
Maybe we have. I see no further point getting involved with deliberate accidents.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:04 PM   #202
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
I haven't seen anyone sticking up for WT, other than Kenny.
WT doesn't need me defending him, or the theme. I like the theme...but only as much as I like other themes that I've used, since I find every theme "bothers me" in some way. So, I have my own complaints about it. They're just generally not the same complaints that I've seen made by others here. I'm willing to edit the theme though, because it doesn't take much editing to make it "my own". Since I'm making some edits, I don't mind helping others with things I already know how to do. That's my involvement here, not as a shield for WT.

If anyone reading this wonders: I find all DAWs have UIs that bother me, and that includes the "objectively superior" and "awesomely consistent" and "totally follows the perfect standards of UX" or whatnot. Some of the examples of other DAW UIs shown in these threads drive me crazy. And I remember well enough what other DAWs were like when I was using them (Sonar, Cubase, Nuendo, n-Track, Logic) in their various incarnations. Every single time I'd be annoyed by their appearance somehow. Reaper falls into that camp too. But at least I can edit it.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:11 PM   #203
SBK

Loving it!

I just wish the theme adjuster keeps the settings in the next update.

Check this out, its not full default layout, but its the default theme with some minor changes

The window on the left is white currently but I have fixed that, just then I have problems with the theme adjuster.

So I have seen some bad comments, but I love this, and I just want to keep one default theme, and this one is pretty goood and fresh to me

Last edited by SBK; 12-06-2019 at 04:19 PM.
SBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:13 PM   #204
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Since I'm making some edits, I don't mind helping others with things I already know how to do.
It's my understanding though that many of the same complaints the majority of R6 theme users have are not "editable". So, is it a matter of people wanting to help or simply things that cannot be changed? I seriously don't know.

We can't change how selected MIDI notes are highlighted or colored.

We can't un-stretch the transport so it's actually easy to look at and interpret on large screens.

We can't change the solid blood red metering on armed tracks which is strange to look at when you're monitoring. (no clue how that ever made it to the final cut lol)

We can't (easily) change the rainbow colored track titles to a more clean default of gray white normalcy in v5 and prior.

This is about 1% of all the "issues" so far coming out. There's more that even I haven't stumbled upon yet.
But I'd love to know these hacks if you know please help us We would love you for it.

I wish the default 6 theme came in a light and dark option rather than forcing this general look on us, but that's my opinion. I'm sure that themers will have a field day down the road with this, well, if they decide it's worth tackling at all vs. using their old v5 themes which work and look beautifully.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:23 PM   #205
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben View Post

Sadly, if you (not you literally but you as in "people") actually truly read each and every post of his theme threads where he "asked for feedback", he almost universally went against the majority of people who shared the same idea when he had a different view. He chose his 1 over the 90% of userbase. This is not up for debate. The posts are there.

You are right though, he DID fix the ones HE agreed with absolutely.

And the ratio was more like 80/20 as far as the people wanting certain things. He went with the 20, his 20. It's not 500/500 50% 50% at all lol. Just sayin'. If that were the case, then so be it. I'm a fair gent.
I'm afraid I wasn't 100% clear. He didn't design the theme by committee.

There was no percentage protocol to be followed. And this forum does not represent the whole of all REAPER users. So while each and every user has their own view on how things should be, he needs to consider all of the suggestions and decide what makes sense for the most users. Something no one else has to do.
Kenny Gioia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:28 PM   #206
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post

But, there are some things that were brought up early on that many are not happy about now.
Just because an idea is brought up and agreed by many, it doesn't mean it's a good idea. Or even the idea of the consensus.

Many good ideas conflict with other ideas. And someone has to sort that out. And that was the job of one person with his own subjective opinion and vision. It can never be perfect but it also was never designed to be agreed upon by committee.

If I ask for ideas to make my videos better, I might only use 10-15% of those ideas. But that still makes the videos better. But it only made sense for me to use that percentage.

Again. This was never set up to be design by committee. No one was promised their opinions would equal results.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:30 PM   #207
Kenny Gioia

Quote:

But sometimes people favor loyalty over logic.
You're arguing that design by committee is logical. I'm disagreeing with that premise.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:31 PM   #208
JamesPeters

Quote:
It's my understanding though that many of the same complaints the majority of R6 theme users have are not "editable". So, is it a matter of people wanting to help or simply things that cannot be changed? I seriously don't know.

We can't change how selected MIDI notes are highlighted or colored.

We can't un-stretch the transport so it's actually easy to look at and interpret on large screens.

We can't change the solid blood red metering on armed tracks which is strange to look at when you're monitoring. (no clue how that ever made it to the final cut lol)

We can't (easily) change the rainbow colored track titles to a more clean default of gray white normalcy in v5 and prior.

This is about 1% of all the "issues" so far coming out. There's more that even I haven't stumbled upon yet.
But I'd love to know these hacks if you know please help us We would love you for it.

I wish the default 6 theme came in a light and dark option rather than forcing this general look on us, but that's my opinion. I'm sure that themers will have a field day down the road with this, well, if they decide it's worth tackling at all vs. using their old v5 themes which work and look beautifully.
I don't know how to do all those things, but off the top of my head:

To change how MIDI notes are colored and highlighted, you can specify a different MIDI colormap file. Preferences -> Editing Behavior -> Default note color map. I took someone else's map which was posted on another thread, and used it. I've modified the default one too (making the selected section brighter etc.) but the file that someone else made looked nicer to me. Search The Stash for "colormap" and you'll find a bunch. You can swap them quickly.

As for changing track titles: that's been covered here. It is pretty easy to do. But it involves modifying a text file, and unzipping the theme. If you're not willing to do that level of modification, then you'll probably have to wait until someone posts a variant of the theme in The Stash.

Again, some of the complaints people have mentioned don't affect me at all, and I actually really like some of aspects of this theme that bother you.

Anyway (again, not a defense of WT): If people could stick to what they want done without resorting to hyperbole or saying "everyone wants it that way", it might get done faster by people who are willing to modify the theme (whether it's me or others who are far more knowledgable...since I don't know much about these things).

Kenny makes a good point; he has seen many people say they love this theme in the comments on his videos. Some even say "I guess this is the time I finally buy a Reaper license". Compare that to a vocal few continually posting complaints here. So keep in mind: being too negative and exaggerating can get you ignored.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:34 PM   #209
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
You're arguing that design by committee is logical. I'm disagreeing with that premise.
Nope. I was arguing that sometimes loyalty to a person, idea, or concept makes people blind.

And more importantly, why bother asking for feedback if he's just going to do and fix things HE feels are important and or good? I mean, stop and think about it and you'll soon see that at SOME point, there needs to be SOME things that he concedes on for the greater good. Otherwise, what's the point? Just make the theme and release it with a small bug tester squad or something.

There is a huge difference between your favorite disparaging buzz word committee talking point and very simply swallowing pride and "listening to the people". You know that.

I'm not as dumb as I sound..............oh wait, shoot. Scratch that.
It's probably hard to understand what I'm saying with my tongue jammed in the side of my cheek, sorry bout that.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:36 PM   #210
Kenny Gioia

Quote:

Dark themes don't have to have super low contrast. Increasing it doesn't have to mean the text has to be like staring into a laser pointer. There's a huge middle ground, but in my opinion WT has chosen to remain outside and really hasn't given any reason for doing so. Granted, he isn't obligated to, but the purpose of public feedback is to have that discussion rather than simply shutting it down and saying "my group of private testers were all fine with it so you're wrong".
I think the purpose of public feedback is to look for good ideas and use them. Filtering good vs bad or useful vs not useful is a flawed process. But don't assume that just because your point view wasn't employed, that it wasn't considered.

I personally have many feature requests that haven't been implemented. (yet?) It doesn't mean they weren't considered. But at the end of the day, having an idea is only one part of the process. Someone else has to put in the work and adjust everything else accordingly.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:36 PM   #211
robgb

Quote:
Actually you're wrong. V6 has amazing new features, but upgrading to v6 AND using an old theme is bad. It breaks MIDI editor CC colors, etc other things look funky. It's not a good plan, sorry.
I haven't encountered this at all. My CC colors work the same as always in my older themes and nothing looks funky. What old themes are you using? Maybe you need to straighten this problem out with him or her.
robgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:37 PM   #212
lowellben

Quote:
I don't know how to do all those things, but off the top of my head:

To change how MIDI notes are colored and highlighted, you can specify a different MIDI colormap file. Preferences -> Editing Behavior -> Default note color map. I took someone else's map which was posted on another thread, and used it. I've modified the default one too (making the selected section brighter etc.) but the file that someone else made looked nicer to me. Search The Stash for "colormap" and you'll find a bunch. You can swap them quickly.
I do appreciate your attempt here, but it shows a point I was getting at. The colormap DOESNT work in v6. It has no effect. What's the secret I am missing? I've made drastic changes to the map to testing it's working and nada. It's like completely ignored. Boo.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:38 PM   #213
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
I fail to get the analogy.
You said that negative feedback was essential to progression. I disagree. Sometimes telling someone they suck ensures that that person won't listen to your suggestions.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:40 PM   #214
lowellben

Quote:
You said that negative feedback was essential to progression. I disagree. Sometimes telling someone they suck ensures that that person won't listen to your suggestions.
Sometimes it lights a fire under them and they become a legend. It's happened once or twice.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:46 PM   #215
Kenny Gioia

Quote:

I wish the default 6 theme came in a light and dark option rather than forcing this general look on us
No matter what you do, you're forcing a look on everyone when you design a default theme. Luckily you can adjust it or use another theme.

It seems like you wanted WT to create the default theme that you would have created.

I do too.

But this is really good to me. And I don't like dark themes.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:46 PM   #216
lowellben

At the end of the day, Reaper has always been about power. Options. Customizing. CHOICES.

I feel the Reaper 6 default theme takes away a lot of those. Options are limited on what we can (easily if at all) change. Especially new users. Eye candy is one thing but practicality is another.

I love the Reap as much as the next user here. But there's a reason why this thread is already 3 pages long. Care to look what the ratio is of "ZOMG this theme is amazing buying now!!!$$$" and "meh, letdown and kinda not a good direction"?

Don't count my posts of course. Even without me, the proof is in the pudding. Mmmmmm reaper pudding.

Dark themes don't have to suffer with crappy contrast. Sigh.

The theme adjuster gives us "options" but that's not what I'm talking about. That's just icing.
I'm talking about the meat.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:49 PM   #217
karbomusic

Sometimes it's just a matter of empathetic customer service, if I get treated again like I have a couple times now, I'm voting with my wallet which is another thing I never thought I'd say here. I've been customer facing for >35 years, including training droves in doing it well at the global enterprise level - it's an area of expertise and there is a customer service issue here at the moment regardless of what gets fixed theme wise.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:55 PM   #218
Kenny Gioia

Quote:

And more importantly, why bother asking for feedback if he's just going to do and fix things HE feels are important and or good?
Because you don't know what you're going to get until you ask.

Just because you didn't see the feedback he used, doesn't mean he didn't use any. This forum isn't the only place to get feedback.

Just like you think I'm blinded by more loyalty, I think you're blinding by your taste. It's normal. I also think my taste is the best. That's how things work.

BTW - Although, I only get negative feedback on my videos at around .01%, many of them tell me that they don't like that I talk in short phrases. I see their point but I haven't changed my approach. Why? Because unlike them, I have weighed out all the options available to me. And I chose what works best for me.

That's how creating content works. You take in the feedback that works for you.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:00 PM   #219
Kenny Gioia

Quote:

I feel the Reaper 6 default theme takes away a lot of those.
You feel that adding a REAPER 6 theme to all of the other themes we have takes away options?

Agree to disagree?
Old 12-06-2019, 05:04 PM   #220
Lokasenna

Quote:
But don't assume that just because your point view wasn't employed, that it wasn't considered.
I would expect a reasonable person to provide some explanation for rejecting the complaint - he certainly explained his reasoning for other things like the shiny play button.

WT did respond to my post on the topic, but only to shut down the idea despite the darkness and contrast being - I think you'll agree - a major point of contention in both the pre-release threads and the various threads going right now. I'm not exaggerating - he simply told us that no, it's not a problem, and that was that.

This isn't "I think the default font should be Helvetica" or "I don't like the shiny play button". This is something that gives me a headache from having to squint, and for others like Karbo might be a barrier to using it at all.

Accessibility is a pretty major thing to dismiss out of hand as "my private testers didn't complain so nah", particularly when the most widely-adopted accessibility guidelines (we're talking governments and major corporations) would consider multiple aspects of the theme significant failures.

If there were multiple stock themes I wouldn't care - everything on my phone offers Light and Dark at minimum - but making the only stock theme inaccessible and putting the burden of fixing it or finding something else on users (hell, new or potential users) really makes me doubt that much consideration was put into the idea at all.

Last edited by Lokasenna; 12-06-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Lokasenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:06 PM   #221
SBK

Sorry for off-topic, can someone answer me, because I am not aware about WHY is Reaper having some ugly windows colors backgrounds? Like the theme is dark and the windows are all white. Is it hard to fix? Thanks
SBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:08 PM   #222
markhw

I'm liking the new theme, myself.

Just one issue I have though is the mixer meter width. There's seemingly no way to make the meter color bar wider as it was in v5 "full meter" layouts. It can get wider using theme adjuster with many more than 2 channels, but I can't seem to just choose to make the meter wider with 2 channels. I checked the rtconfig file and still came up with nothing. (If I'm wrong, please correct me!)

When using the mixer full screen for recording, it's really nice to have wide meters so you can see them from far away.
markhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:11 PM   #223
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK View Post
Sorry for off-topic, can someone answer me, because I am not aware about WHY is Reaper having some ugly windows colors backgrounds? Like the theme is dark and the windows are all white. Is it hard to fix? Thanks
Many elements of Reaper aren't handled by the theme but rather by your OS, thus the mixed-up appearance. It's been a complaint since forever with no sign of being fixed.
Lokasenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:15 PM   #224
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhw View Post
I'm liking the new theme, myself.

Just one issue I have though is the mixer meter width. There's seemingly no way to make the meter color bar wider as it was in v5 "full meter" layouts. It can get wider using theme adjuster with many more than 2 channels, but I can't seem to just choose to make the meter wider with 2 channels. I checked the rtconfig file and still came up with nothing. (If I'm wrong, please correct me!)

When using the mixer full screen for recording, it's really nice to have wide meters so you can see them from far away.
Try simply switching to 150% view for the Master mixer panel alone. This is an option in layouts under options.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:21 PM   #225
Herr Nox

Being primarily a graphic designer myself, I understand the apprehension behind having too many cooks. Any artist struggles between fulfilling their vision and pleasing an audience. And the ego will always have a hard time accepting critiques, funded or not. But one should not dismiss those critiques. It's always better to take a step back and sleep on it. Allow some time to digest what's going on.

White Tie is talented, saying otherwise would be lying.

My main gripe with the V6 theme is it introduced a lot more ways to customize the look of it, at the expense of simplicity. REAPER did not need any more options, it's already filled with those, it needed a simpler, more dumb-proof, new user-friendly look.

We all know REAPER is the DAW with the most possibilities under the hood. That's how it's sold. To any issue one has there seems to be solution offered somewhere (thanks Kenny for most of those solutions ).

All there is left to do in order to see REAPER bloom and become all it can be, is a look that makes you go "Wow, I need to check out that DAW!". The business model at Cockos is based on passion and creativity, so the DAW should reflect that (the ability to theme is not enough when the default theme is so conservative/dated).

I don't know how my post will be perceived but I love REAPER and I'm only commenting out of my love for it. However, the default look is and always will be a turn-off for anyone starting out and looking for their first DAW.

Also, I would strongly suggest taking a look at the I Logic V3 thread. Not because of the theme itself (even though it's excellent), but more importantly how its evolution was dealt with. Blankfiles offered a first look / People gave their first impressions / He released the theme / People suggested improvements, new layouts, different buttons / They were implemented and yet the theme never lost its initial charm or personality. And that theme is still evolving.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:22 PM   #226
Glennbo

Quote:
You feel that adding a REAPER 6 theme to all of the other themes we have takes away options?
I was gonna post something similar. I look at it like this. REAPER added Walter theming at some point and I used someone else's theme instead of the stock theme.

Now there's some new theming capability, and while I'm currently trying the stock theme, the theme I've used for years also works, so it's not like I am being forced to use the stock v6 theme.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:23 PM   #227
karbomusic

Quote:
and for others like Karbo might be a barrier to using it at all.
Does my avatar look that old LOL? I think the theme as a whole looks great but do have some pending issues migrating where things are breaking and I don't have time to sit around hacking right now. I agree totally with everyone isn't going to like it and the position that puts one in, been there professionally but...

I do agree the contrast or rather lack of it and potential accessibility issues matter - not for my benefit but because like you I've spent time in UX functional design.

My much bigger issue is the terrible engagement that you hinted at, it's enough to make me want to leave the forum entirely so I don't have to experience or see that crap any longer, nor do I want to financially support that behavior, it really is that simple.

I don't expect anyone to miss me, I'm not a dear john type of poster, I do know I've spent much of my 25k posts trying to make Reaper users successful and my complaint ratio about the product is something like 20000:1 so when I do ask for a few minutes of consideration, I find such condescending dismissive behavior deplorable. I might get over it, I might not and will act accordingly when I decide.

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-06-2019 at 08:22 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:32 PM   #228
Softsynth

Quote:
Many elements of Reaper aren't handled by the theme but rather by your OS, thus the mixed-up appearance. It's been a complaint since forever with no sign of being fixed.
It might be nice to hear from the developers if that will ever be feasible given the Reaper code?
Is it a limitation we will just have to accept is always going to be part of Reaper, regardless of the version upgrades?

IOW would solving this require a major rewrite of the software?
Old 12-06-2019, 05:33 PM   #229
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
IOW would solving this require a major rewrite of the software?
Most likely yes. I do not think it is a careless ignoring of the request at all but an ingrained far too deep to change issue. I only say that from sitting here thinking of apps I've started way back when and trying to go from GUI platform A to B years later. I've done it once or twice but it was a major rewrite to do so; reaper having to cater to multiple OS's probably doesn't help either.

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-06-2019 at 05:38 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:36 PM   #230
EricTbone

Quote:
Nothing lost, but nothing gained. We didn't get the careful, expert reevaluation of the UI that a major version probably warrants.

Quote:
It lacks vision
An individual can lack vision, too.

With all due respect to you, Kenny, and with respect to your desire to defend someone you perceive to be under attack, I think you're missing the point.

First, the goal is not to hurt anyone's feelings, but to simply express radical candor. An unwillingness to be honest because you're afraid your target can't take criticism does nobody any good.

Quote:
If it was 100% design by committee, your opinion would have counted for .01%.
This implies that opinions all carry equal weight, which would only be true of things that are truly arbitrary, such as your example of black vs white. But that's not the case. One can make arguments in favor of a position and some arguments are better than others. Even seeming matters of taste are often not arbitrary, which is why design is something that can be taught.

Some things are objectively true, such as the fact that the new controls are less space efficient. I lose part of my arrange view to accommodate, larger, busier controls. It's also objectively true that UI scaling distorts the interface, softening text, misaligning some text, turning shadows into crude squares, etc. so it's not a good solution to the size issue.

Other things are less purely objective, but we can still make reasoned arguments about why they are bad. For instance, the M/S/R indicators are bad because (1) they're diagonal color stripes behind text, which makes them look like background art rather than indicators (see: faceplate art on 80's rack mount gear) (2) it visually busy and has no design congruity with anything else in the app, contributing to a messy look for the application. It's not just that I don't like the color of some knob.

The new default behavior is to misalign controls when inside of folders. This doesn't just look messy, it reduces the speed of visual acquisition of related controls from track to track.

Of course you can turn that off, but then it aligns even track names, which makes folder hierarchy more difficult to read at a glance.

Arming a track now misaligns controls, purely because of a bad decision on how injecting the monitor icon would affect other controls. It could have misaligned only the track name, affecting no other controls. Or it could have been placed to the right of the track name, eliminating all misalignment at the cost of slightly less proximity to the record button.

The way the mute and solo buttons behave means the vertical height of the track influences how many controls I see on the first row, which is an unwelcome new behavior in Reaper.

I have a dozens of others similar things that I consider to be legitimate UX issues, not just pure matters of taste, but I don't have time to enumerate them. And that's before we get to aesthetics, such as the mixing of flat and skeuomorphic iconography, which creates a schizophrenic look for the app.

Nenad Milosevic's redesign of Ableton received near-universal praise because it's has a singular vision. Regardless of how you feel about flat vs skeuomorphic, it's the commitment to a consistent design aesthetic that creates a clean look, similar to how WT's commitment to skeuomorphism made Imperial so beloved.

Honestly, some of the shipped issues are so basic, and some of the issues in almost-shipped versions so egregious (such as shortening faders on selected mixer tracks), that it reduces my faith in Cockos' UX expertise and suggest therefore that things will never be fixed. That's the disappointment. There are things I prefer about the new theme (I prefer the overall color scheme), but dismissing the legitimate gripes out of hand does nothing but devalue the customer. Ultimately the tool is for us.

It's not like I'm going to stop using Reaper. It's still my favorite DAW. It just feels like a missed opportunity.

Last edited by EricTbone; 12-06-2019 at 08:48 PM.
EricTbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:36 PM   #231
robgb

Quote:
At the end of the day, Reaper has always been about power. Options. Customizing. CHOICES.

I feel the Reaper 6 default theme takes away a lot of those.
Oh, for fuck's sake. What it does is give us ANOTHER option. It takes nothing away.
robgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:42 PM   #232
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTbone View Post
Nothing lost, but nothing gained. We didn't get the careful, expert reevaluation of the UI that a major version probably warrants.

An individual can lack vision, too.

With all due respect to you, Kenny, and with respect to your desire to defend someone you perceive to be under attack, I think you're missing the point.

This is exactly what I meant. Obviously the addition of a theme isn't taking away from anything, it's adding. But the implementation of said theme, is a big loss from where I stand.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:43 PM   #233
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Most likely yes. I do not think it is a careless ignoring of the request at all but an ingrained far too deep to change issue. I only say that from sitting here thinking of apps I've started way back when and trying to go from GUI platform A to B years later. I've done it once or twice but it was a major rewrite to do so; reaper having to cater to multiple OS's probably doesn't help either.
As I said:
Quote:
It might be nice to hear from the developers if that will ever be feasible given the Reaper code?
Is it a limitation we will just have to accept is always going to be part of Reaper, regardless of the version upgrades?
If confirmed I would suggest the users could more easily accept that as a condition of using this most efficient program. I certainly could anyway, and it would be less disappointing when major updates come along with the same limitation.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:48 PM   #234
JamesPeters

Quote:
I do appreciate your attempt here, but it shows a point I was getting at. The colormap DOESNT work in v6. It has no effect. What's the secret I am missing? I've made drastic changes to the map to testing it's working and nada. It's like completely ignored. Boo.
Weird. I just tested a dozen different ones from the Stash after making my post and they all work as long as they're PNG files (it was a very noticeable change each time). I actually found one with a better approach than the previous one.

Can anyone else confirm this is broken in (I assume you're using) the Windows version? I'm using the Linux version.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:49 PM   #235
karbomusic

Quote:
As I said:
If you place a ? at the end of a sentence, you might find someone will type out an IMHO answer. Either way, I'm comfortable saying that it's a big enough deal that no one here should hold their breath for the near term fix except...

I could be wrong, sometimes justin moves mountains and all of a sudden Version X.1 has that thing everyone thought was not possible. But it would be smart to prepare ourselves for that not being the case to be safe. They use a particular framework for the GUI IIRC so that is likely part of it.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:51 PM   #236
EricTbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgb View Post
Oh, for fuck's sake. What it does is give us ANOTHER option. It takes nothing away.
People seem to be parroting this a lot, but it just doesn't make sense. We've lost an opportunity. Reaper has numerous UX issues that users have asked to be addressed for years. Cockos invested time and money into UX, which could have been used to address these issues or to improve other areas of the app. If the new design doesn't address those issues, that effort is lost. We don't gain from it when we could have, when we should have. For some of us, this was a $60-$225 upgrade.

The upgrade's worth it to me for other reasons, but I would like to have seen a new UI for Reaper that was as solid a default option as V5.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:53 PM   #237
JamesPeters

Quote:
I would expect a reasonable person to provide some explanation for rejecting the complaint
I understand the frustration, but sometimes you just have to decide to not explain decisions. It sounds wrong from your perspective, but from the other side of the fence (and I've been on it enough times): you end up going down a rabbit hole, especially when people are wound up in their feelings and opinions (and throwing around exaggerations and "objectively it's this way" arguments). It can be a no-win situation. So you take the advice that makes sense for you to follow, within your own constraints/whatever makes sense for the situation...and then you say "sorry" and that's that. No one wants to hear that kind of answer, or "be ignored", but it's the reality of the situation that it does need to happen sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTbone View Post
The upgrade's worth it to me for other reasons, but I would like to have seen a new UI for Reaper that was as solid a default option as V5.
Sorry for this, but I laughed...because of all the negativity leveled against the Default 5 theme especially around its release.

I see your point, anyway.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:56 PM   #238
lowellben

Quote:
Weird. I just tested a dozen different ones from the Stash after making my post and they all work as long as they're PNG files (it was a very noticeable change each time). I actually found one with a better approach than the previous one.

Can anyone else confirm this is broken in (I assume you're using) the Windows version? I'm using the Linux version.
I am using Windows yes. Is there a trick to replacing the midi map in v6? I just unzipped the theme and copied over the PNG and tried the modded theme that way.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:57 PM   #239
JamesPeters

Quote:
I am using Windows yes. Is there a trick to replacing the midi map in v6? I just unzipped the theme and copied over the PNG and tried the modded theme that way.
Maybe try it the way I mentioned in that post, from the preferences menu.

Preferences -> Editing Behavior -> Default note color map.

I haven't done a replacement of the PNG within the theme for the midi colormap in years, once I realized I didn't have to. If doing it that way from the preferences menu doesn't work, that's definitely odd.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:00 PM   #240
EricTbone

Quote:
It sounds wrong from your perspective, but from the other side of the fence
I have an app on the App Store with a few tens of thousands of users. I get tons of user feedback. I never hesitate to explain my design decisions, because I can. Because each decision is something I've carefully considered (probably tortured myself over, because I'm a perfectionist), taking into account pros and cons, costs and benefits, so I'm capable of justifying them. And more than once I've discovered that I can't defend a decision, I reevaluate it and address it.

I sometimes throw the ball back in the user's court. "Hmmm... I see your point. It's currently this way because of X, Y and Z. What do you think would be better?" To be honest, most of the feedback you get from this is not useful -- as the domain expert, I usually know better -- but I have no fear of justifying myself and sometimes the customer thinks of solutions I didn't.

Last edited by EricTbone; 12-06-2019 at 09:38 PM.