Old 06-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
jmarzjunior
Human being with feelings

Default Problem with reapitch? need help

Hi guys iam about to make a guitar cover in a different tuning than usually. I usually play drob D and my guitar is set up to drop D/standard, but this song is in drob B. So i searched the internet and i found i should us a pitch shifter. So the story goes i fx my guitar on the track and then fx reapitch on the same track but there is a latency up to 1 to a half second every time i hit a string. Usaually there is no latency of this kind
when i have recorded my other covers the latency only happens when i have reapitch on. Idont now what to do?

And a other thing when you tune from drop D to B you go 3 semitones down right this is the way you do it right? I have never used a pitchshifter before. Thanks
jmarzjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarzjunior View Post
Hi guys iam about to make a guitar cover in a different tuning than usually. I usually play drob D and my guitar is set up to drop D/standard, but this song is in drob B. So i searched the internet and i found i should us a pitch shifter. So the story goes i fx my guitar on the track and then fx reapitch on the same track but there is a latency up to 1 to a half second every time i hit a string. Usaually there is no latency of this kind
when i have recorded my other covers the latency only happens when i have reapitch on. Idont now what to do?

And a other thing when you tune from drop D to B you go 3 semitones down right this is the way you do it right? I have never used a pitchshifter before. Thanks
To my knowledge, Reapitch does introduce some latency, so you may not be able to do anything about that. But if you are recreating a cover, why not just play the whole thing in Drop D and put your own interpretation to it? If you just don't want to, you can track your guitar in Drop D and change the pitch after it's tracked. Then you could change pitch using Reapers algorithm instead of using a plugin (It's in the action menu, search under "pitch"). The only other way (best sound probably, but biggest hassle...) would be to have your guitar re-set up fpr Drop B...... Good luck
Old 06-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
martifingers

Yes, same here. Inevitable latency with Reapitch (not surprising when you consider what it is doing) and that includes no other plug-ins.

But why not do it the other way - i.e RENDER the source track to to drop D, re-import and play along and then (if you want) re-pitch the whole thing.

Basically that's what richie 43 is saying.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:35 AM   #4
jmarzjunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
Then you could change pitch using Reapers algorithm instead of using a plugin (It's in the action menu, search under "pitch").
To richie 43
Thanks man. i recorded a track after i went to actions. And preset actions list typed in pitch. But couldn't find algorithm? I am new to using Daw so maybe i am doing something wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martifingers View Post
Yes, same here. Inevitable latency with Reapitch (not surprising when you consider what it is doing) and that includes no other plug-ins.

But why not do it the other way - i.e RENDER the source track to to drop D, re-import and play along and then (if you want) re-pitch the whole thing.

Basically that's what richie 43 is saying.
To martifingers
Thanks man. When i render the source track to drop D should i just use pitch shifter or is there some better, smarter way?
Old 06-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
ARP

I had this problem, and this seemed to fix it !

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/11894/Pitch...delay.RfxChain

This chain for some reason does not introduce delay !! Please try it, it might solve your problem, you can always turn off the delay if you dont want it.....

ARP.
ARP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
richie43

Quote:
To richie 43
Thanks man. i recorded a track after i went to actions. And preset actions list typed in pitch. But couldn't find algorithm? I am new to using Daw so maybe i am doing something wrong.

To martifingers
Thanks man. When i render the source track to drop D should i just use pitch shifter or is there some better, smarter way?
Check out the attachment. When you open the action list and type "pitch" into the filer dialog, don't you see this?

Last edited by richie43; 11-25-2013 at 12:26 AM.
richie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
jmarzjunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARP View Post
I had this problem, and this seemed to fix it !

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/11894/Pitch...delay.RfxChain

This chain for some reason does not introduce delay !! Please try it, it might solve your problem, you can always turn off the delay if you dont want it.....

ARP.
Ok thanks man. I downloaded the file but dont really now what to do with it?
I am new to all this recording and using DAW. In which folder should i put the file in? The file is all blank, and it says windows cant open this file?

Quote:
Check out the attachment. When you open the action list and type "pitch" into the filer dialog, don't you see this?
Yes now i get it. I was looking for the word algorithm. But thanks for your help.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
richie43

Quote:
Ok thanks man. I downloaded the file but dont really now what to do with it?
I am new to all this recording and using DAW. In which folder should i put the file in? The file is all blank, and it says windows cant open this file?

Yes now i get it. I was looking for the word algorithm. But thanks for your help.
If you are on WIndows and installed Reaper as a normal install (not portable), that "blank" file goes in the fxchains folder in the appdata. Open reaper, and up in the menu, click "options" and "show reaper resource path....". Or just go to C/Users/"user name"/Appdata/Roaming/Reaper. Put that file in the fxchains folder. Then it will be available as a chain in reaper.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:49 AM   #9
jmarzjunior

Quote:
If you are on WIndows and installed Reaper as a normal install (not portable), that "blank" file goes in the fxchains folder in the appdata. Open reaper, and up in the menu, click "options" and "show reaper resource path....". Or just go to C/Users/"user name"/Appdata/Roaming/Reaper. Put that file in the fxchains folder. Then it will be available as a chain in reaper.
So i did what you have said but my pc is nothing like you describe above. I have
windows 7 by the way and i went to C:/program files/reaper x64/pulgins/ and there is a folder in there called FX

Other than that there is C:/program files/reaper x64/InstallData/effects

When i go into C:/Users/user name/ there is nothing associated with reaper other than reaper media where it saves, saved projects or temporary tacks and stuff. Thanks for your help by the way
Old 06-11-2013, 06:17 AM   #10
richie43

Quote:
So i did what you have said but my pc is nothing like you describe above. I have
windows 7 by the way and i went to C:/program files/reaper x64/pulgins/ and there is a folder in there called FX

Other than that there is C:/program files/reaper x64/InstallData/effects

When i go into C:/Users/user name/ there is nothing associated with reaper other than reaper media where it saves, saved projects or temporary tacks and stuff. Thanks for your help by the way
Your computer is very much like mine, lol. The folder you are looking for is not in Program folders, it's in "AppData". There is a setting that hides some folders in Windows for users that may not be as comfortable going into what some call system files, so I bet that the folders that I am referring to are hidden from you. Go to your control panel, folder options, and view. Find the check-box that mentions showing or hiding these files. I am on Windows 7 and 8, so I know that these are there. But I did show you another way to find this folder through Reaper. Read that post if you don't want to change your settings in Windows. Personally, I'd change this in Windows anyway; if you are heading down the road of digital audio, you are going to probably want to dig deeper into your computer anyway if you want to get as much as possible from this.

Edit:
You won't find anything associated with Reaper at C/Users/"user name".... you need to go further.... "user name"/AppData/Roaming/Reaper/FXChains

Old 06-11-2013, 06:49 AM   #11
jmarzjunior

Quote:
Your computer is very much like mine, lol. The folder you are looking for is not in Program folders, it's in "AppData". There is a setting that hides some folders in Windows for users that may not be as comfortable going into what some call system files, so I bet that the folders that I am referring to are hidden from you. Go to your control panel, folder options, and view. Find the check-box that mentions showing or hiding these files. I am on Windows 7 and 8, so I know that these are there. But I did show you another way to find this folder through Reaper. Read that post if you don't want to change your settings in Windows. Personally, I'd change this in Windows anyway; if you are heading down the road of digital audio, you are going to probably want to dig deeper into your computer anyway if you want to get as much as possible from this.

Edit:
You won't find anything associated with Reaper at C/Users/"user name".... you need to go further.... "user name"/AppData/Roaming/Reaper/FXChains
Thanks man that did the thing. Thanks for helping me.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #12
martifingers

Apologies for not replying but as usual wiser heads have solved the problem (I learnt summat too!)
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #13
jmarzjunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by martifingers View Post
Apologies for not replying but as usual wiser heads have solved the problem (I learnt summat too!)
Thanks to you too man. You input helped too
Old 06-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #14
richie43

Yay for you. Now go make music and get off of the forums!! lol.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #15
ARP

Hi, but did it work ! You shouldn't get any delay with this chain, at least I don't on my system, be interested to hear how you got on ?

ARP.
ARP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #16
jmarzjunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARP View Post
Hi, but did it work ! You shouldn't get any delay with this chain, at least I don't on my system, be interested to hear how you got on ?

ARP.
Hey there. I didnt have time yesterday to test it i was practicing. And then my
Ux2 auido interface broke what a piece of shit (After nearly 2 months). So i went down to the music store where i bought it and they send it to reparation. So i dont now how long time there go before i can test it. Maybe i buy a second interface soon just to have an backup. But ass soon as i have tried it ill write on this Thread. So make sure you get updates on this Thread and i for sure let you now.