Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 12-18-2017, 04:28 PM   #41
clarkmedia
Human being with feelings

Default Having the same problem

Help!

I have become very dependent on the s/d edits in Reaper.... Anyone having any luck with this? I'm running 5.70... it worked the other day before the latest update for me. Now, I make my time selection in the source project, then hit the key command (or manually run it from the Action menu) and it moves the cursor in the destination project, but no audio is copied. It also deletes the selected audio in the source project... Hmmm... Any ideas?

Thanks - Chris
clarkmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:43 PM   #42
mjfe2

Two questions:

1) We've just erased our hard drive and reinstalled the OS - I don't want to restore from Time Machine but I would like to find some custom actions I had saved for source/destination editing - where do I find them?

2) Sometimes my hotkey for begin selection doesn't work and I'm not sure why. I have to stop the audio, reposition the cursor and then it works again. Why is it behaving like this?
Old 11-23-2018, 11:20 AM   #43
mjfe2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelleke View Post
Dear mortals, I would like to announce my new custom actions I created to do Source/Destination editing.
These actions are amazing Pelleke! I added 'rewind a bit' and 'play' to the edit function so I can listen back immediately.

However, recently I've been finding the copy/paste function doesn't always work and the edit more often pastes the previously copied audio from the last edit.

When it does this I have to move the cursor within the source project, which seems to make it work again, but does anyone know why it doesn't copy first time?
Old 02-04-2019, 08:18 AM   #44
FMNY

This source destination editing functionality is crucial for me, but unfortunately Pelleke's macros have been broken for a long time. I don't know which upgrade of Reaper or SWS did it, but this process that used to work so beautifully no longer work properly. Instead of the selected area of the source being edited into the designated area of the destination, I just end up with a hole in my source and nothing added to the destination.

I wrote to Pelleke, but he does not seem to be around anymore so I can't turn to him to see if he can fix it. Is there anyone who would be willing to look at his macros and see why they don't work anymore? I wish the Reaper development team would add this functionality to Reaper, but people have been asking for this for years and it still hasn't happened.
FMNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:56 AM   #45
mjfe2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMNY View Post
This source destination editing functionality is crucial for me, but unfortunately Pelleke's macros have been broken for a long time. I don't know which upgrade of Reaper or SWS did it, but this process that used to work so beautifully no longer work properly. Instead of the selected area of the source being edited into the designated area of the destination, I just end up with a hole in my source and nothing added to the destination.

I wrote to Pelleke, but he does not seem to be around anymore so I can't turn to him to see if he can fix it. Is there anyone who would be willing to look at his macros and see why they don't work anymore? I wish the Reaper development team would add this functionality to Reaper, but people have been asking for this for years and it still hasn't happened.
Assuming you’ve turned ripple edit off in source and on in dest, this seems to be a bug that we’ve encountered too. Does it work if you move the edit cursor to within or just before your time selection within the source project? The ‘hole’ appears for us when the edit cursor ends up after the time selection though it’s not consistently a problem...
Old 04-04-2019, 05:13 AM   #46
mjfe2

Anyone else having problems with Reaper's built-in 'undo' function?

It tends to undo the entire S/D edit and often removes the time selection too, whereas I would expect the time selection to remain in place because this was a prior process.

Then when I select re-do the time selection returns but the edit is not available on the re-do list.

I think I've asked this before but does undo/redo not work 'across' multiple project tabs properly?
Old 04-04-2019, 05:23 AM   #47
FMNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfe2 View Post
Anyone else having problems with Reaper's built-in 'undo' function?

It tends to undo the entire S/D edit and often removes the time selection too, whereas I would expect the time selection to remain in place because this was a prior process.

Then when I select re-do the time selection returns but the edit is not available on the re-do list.

I think I've asked this before but does undo/redo not work 'across' multiple project tabs properly?
Thanks to your earlier message I've got source destination editing working again. The problem for me was having to turn off ripple editing in the source. That was an unexpected solution because in the past you could have or maybe even needed to have ripple editing on in both source and destination. Once I turned ripple editing off in the source everything started working properly again.

Regarding the undo window I haven't been experiencing the problem you mention. You probably already know this, but you need to be in the destination window when you press the F10 key in order for the custom action (i.e. the edit) to show up properly in the undo window. This is also new behavior to me, because in the past the custom action went in the undo list regardless of whether you were in the source window or the destination window when you pressed F10

With those two little adjustments I've done hours of hours of source destination editing in reaper over the past weeks without any issues.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:32 AM   #48
mjfe2

Quote:
Thanks to your earlier message I've got source destination editing working again. The problem for me was having to turn off ripple editing in the source. That was an unexpected solution because in the past you could have or maybe even needed to have ripple editing on in both source and destination. Once I turned ripple editing off in the source everything started working properly again.

Regarding the undo window I haven't been experiencing the problem you mention. You probably already know this, but you need to be in the destination window when you press the F10 key in order for the custom action (i.e. the edit) to show up properly in the undo window. This is also new behavior to me, because in the past the custom action went in the undo list regardless of whether you were in the source window or the destination window when you pressed F10

With those two little adjustments I've done hours of hours of source destination editing in reaper over the past weeks without any issues.
Thanks for the quick reply. Ah yes, I always thought the beauty of the action was that it could be executed in either window. But this must be the issue. Is there a workaround the share undo lists across projects?

I've found and fixed what seemed to be another bug which is that if the cursor in the source project is at the end or to the right of the time selection, the copy function doesn't seem to work so the previous edit's selection is pasted into the new destination time selection.

If I move the source cursor to within the time selection or to the left of it, copy seems to work again.

So I added to the S/D edit without crossfades action an extra command to move the cursor to the start of the time selection, which seems to over-ride this funny quirk...
Old 04-04-2019, 06:31 AM   #49
bjohn

FYI, there's a clarinet player in Boston on this forum who posted a month or so ago to say that he has developed and is beta testing a new source-destination editing solution for Reaper; it's in the Source/Destination editing thread in the Feature Request section of this forum. I sent him a PM but haven't heard back...I'm curious to see what he has come up with. See https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=170775
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:49 PM   #50
FMNY

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. Ah yes, I always thought the beauty of the action was that it could be executed in either window. But this must be the issue. Is there a workaround the share undo lists across projects?

I've found and fixed what seemed to be another bug which is that if the cursor in the source project is at the end or to the right of the time selection, the copy function doesn't seem to work so the previous edit's selection is pasted into the new destination time selection.

If I move the source cursor to within the time selection or to the left of it, copy seems to work again.

So I added to the S/D edit without crossfades action an extra command to move the cursor to the start of the time selection, which seems to over-ride this funny quirk...
Of course you can execute the custom action from either window and the edit itself is fine either way, but for the undo custom action to appear properly it needs to be executed from the destination window.

I don't see any way to share undo lists across projects, but by always executing the custom action from the destination window I find that I rarely use the undo list in the source window.

I have encountered that bug you mention where it pastes the previous edit, but so few times that I simply assumed I did something wrong myself. Now I know why it happens.

You said you added the fix to the action without crossfades. I've never used the action without crossfades. I'm using the S/D action with crossfades 100% of the time. Did you do that because you are mostly using the custom action without crossfades?

I actually don't know how to add a command to the custom action, but I'll make sure to have the cursor at the start of the selected area whenever I do an edit so as to avoid that bug. Thanks!
Old 09-26-2019, 05:56 AM   #51
mjfe2

I'm still encountering another 'bug' i.e. sometimes the entire item is pasted rather than just the time selection.

It only seems to happen when the edit cursor in the source project is positioned after the time selection, and the only way to fix it is manually moving the cursor before the time selection before making the edit.

I've tried to modify the action so it include moving the cursor to the beginning of the time selection but this doesn't solve the problem.

Any advice?
Old 09-26-2019, 08:33 AM   #52
FMNY

I'm in the same boat. I always make sure my cursor is placed at the start of the time selection in the source before I go to the destination window to press the f10 key.

A few years ago you didn't have to worry about any of that. You could have ripple editing on in the source, your cursor could be anywhere, you could press f10 in either window and the edits all worked fine. Upgrades to Reaper and SWS have introduced theses little problems with the source/destination custom actions, and unfortunately the author of these actions isn't around here anymore to update the custom actions.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:45 AM   #53
FMNY

I have a question for you. One thing I can't easily do with these actions is undo or replace a much earlier edit. With the undo window you can of course undo the last edit you did, but I sometimes need to change an edit done much earlier on in the piece. For example, say earlier on I did a small patch using take x but now I want to use take y for that patch.

Is there a way to quckly delete a cross fade? Without the cross fades I could simply patch right over with the new take. Instead I find myself manually reducing the cross fades to length zero before patching over. That's a quite cumbersome way to do it.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:19 AM   #54
mjfe2

Quote:
I'm in the same boat. I always make sure my cursor is placed at the start of the time selection in the source before I go to the destination window to press the f10 key.

A few years ago you didn't have to worry about any of that. You could have ripple editing on in the source, your cursor could be anywhere, you could press f10 in either window and the edits all worked fine. Upgrades to Reaper and SWS have introduced theses little problems with the source/destination custom actions, and unfortunately the author of these actions isn't around here anymore to update the custom actions.
Is there a way to automate moving the cursor to the start of the time selection?

I've tried the obvious options in the action list but they don't work...
Old 12-10-2019, 05:23 AM   #55
mjfe2

Quote:
I have a question for you. One thing I can't easily do with these actions is undo or replace a much earlier edit. With the undo window you can of course undo the last edit you did, but I sometimes need to change an edit done much earlier on in the piece. For example, say earlier on I did a small patch using take x but now I want to use take y for that patch.

Is there a way to quckly delete a cross fade? Without the cross fades I could simply patch right over with the new take. Instead I find myself manually reducing the cross fades to length zero before patching over. That's a quite cumbersome way to do it.
I find undo gets tricky enough with the last edit especially when switching between project tabs, consolidating actions (or not) etc, let alone trying to find a previous edit to undo!

We use the - and + keys to move to the nearest item edges quickly -- if you use this to select the area of an existing patch you can replace it fairly neatly.

However, it only works if you select the outside edges of the two crossfades otherwise you end up with a horrible composite crossfade...
Old 12-10-2019, 06:13 AM   #56
TonE

Quote:
Is there a way to automate moving the cursor to the start of the time selection?
Go to start of time selection
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:27 AM   #57
mjfe2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Go to start of time selection
I tried that one, but it doesn’t fix the bug 🤯
Old 01-24-2020, 01:44 PM   #58
Buy One

Quote:
I tried that one, but it doesn’t fix the bug 🤯
There're a couple scripts which do this without moving the play cursor if it's the problem
Buy One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:20 PM   #59
FMNY

Quote:
I find undo gets tricky enough with the last edit especially when switching between project tabs, consolidating actions (or not) etc, let alone trying to find a previous edit to undo!
I don't have any problem undoing the last edit. It's essential that you are in the destination tab when you press f10 to execute the edit. From the destination tab, the edit will show up in the undo window as Custom: S/D edit and so it is easily undone.

Because of the bugs with the S/D editing, before I execute any edit I always do two things. 1) In the source tab I make sure my cursor is within or before the selected area. 2) I move to the destination tab to execute the edit.

These two steps have become an absolute habit now as omitting either step causes problems.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:00 AM   #60
ply

I rewrote these actions to scripts, with some improvements. More details here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=232697
ply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:44 PM   #61
Polifemo

Edit: Now, all of a sudden, the Reaper folder is visible so now I "only" need to figure out how to do all this ;-)

New to Reaper (old Logic user) and this SD type of editing is exactly what I need :-)

The SWS extension are installed but when I try to install Pellekes script/actions, I just can't...

When I try the "import method" described in the first post of this thread I don't find an import option and when I try the method described here (https://urosbaric.com/reaper-classic...-point-editing) I don't even find a Reaper folder...

Is this because I'm still on the free/try out version of the program?

60 usd isn't a lot but I'd like to know if this works or not before buying as this SD editing is the reason for me getting Reaper.

Last edited by Polifemo; 08-29-2020 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Problem solved
Polifemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 11:54 AM   #62
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polifemo View Post
When I try the "import method" described in the first post of this thread I don't find an import option
Actions window has changed a little. So what you are looking for in there to bring new scripts into Reaper is to press the New action button to get a menu and from there Load ReaScript. Then you get to browse to location where you have your new script(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polifemo View Post
and when I try the method described here (https://urosbaric.com/reaper-classic...-point-editing) I don't even find a Reaper folder...
You can find all Reaper resource folders from Options, Show REAPER resource path in explorer/finder.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:19 AM   #63
Polifemo

Purchased the program today after a short period of trying it out, and I must say that I very much prefer Reaper to Logic!
Polifemo is offline   Reply With Quote