Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 08-11-2022, 07:23 AM   #1
for
Human being with feelings

Default -6db before mastering, question

i understand that the song should be approximately -6db before proceeding to mastering

my question is

do most mixing engineers aim for -6b almost across all sections, i.e Verse/Chorus/Bridge all reaching approximately -6db

or should the verse be -10db for example and chorus -6db......i.e to have some difference in levels (once again before mastering)
for is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:26 AM   #2
sonicowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by for View Post
i understand that the song should be approximately -6db before proceeding to mastering
Says who?
This is not analog tape, but files with data. You can go easily up to full scale. It is just numbers. Or you can go even above full scale. As long as you are not clipping too much, you are fine. Even some 3db clipping of peaks is fine.
Or just output 32bit floating point files, no matter the level, there will be no clipping. Don't worry too much. At mastering stage level is adjusted anyway, who cares about few dB up or down.
sonicowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:48 AM   #3
Coachz

The only thing that matters are the levels going out of the master effects. Everything up to that has crazy amount of headroom

Coachz Repo
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:49 AM   #4
for

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicowl View Post
Says who?
This is not analog tape, but files with data. You can go easily up to full scale. It is just numbers. Or you can go even above full scale. As long as you are not clipping too much, you are fine. Even some 3db clipping of peaks is fine.
Or just output 32bit floating point files, no matter the level, there will be no clipping. Don't worry too much. At mastering stage level is adjusted anyway, who cares about few dB up or down.
i don't know what manufacturers say like ozone i heard sometimes they recommend headroom?
for is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 10:02 AM   #5
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by for View Post

my question is

do most mixing engineers aim for -6b almost across all sections, i.e Verse/Chorus/Bridge all reaching approximately -6db

or should the verse be -10db for example and chorus -6db......i.e to have some difference in levels (once again before mastering)
No... A recording should not be clipped. That's all.

The request is usually to have some dynamic range and not deliver a limited and crushed to death recording.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 10:43 AM   #6
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
No... A recording should not be clipped. That's all.

The request is usually to have some dynamic range and not deliver a limited and crushed to death recording.
Yep. It depends on the preference of the masterer and the project, but if it is going to a masterer it really doesn't matter if it peaks at -8 or -.5. As long as nothing in the chain from original wav, up the track, through busses to master, hits anything so as to clip it (which won't necessarily show itself in the master level). Headroom throughout the signal flow is good as far as a mixing state of mind, but the master level peak itself doesn't have a critical goal, just a general reasonable one. If you ask 5 masterers they'll have 5 different answers, but it's really more a request for files the way they prefer to work with than a strict mastering bible answer.