Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 12-22-2014, 05:42 AM   #81
Banned
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm duchenne View Post
What I see and hear is that the envelope points are correct in both modes, but if you change it, the amplitude curve between each point is different.
The difference will be small if there is a lot of automation points, but can be very important between points that have been put with the mouse with very different values.
Still, as a matter of logic, one should not be able to change pre-existing envelopes using a setting that states it only applies to new envelopes, right? So if there is any difference, however small, that description does not match its behavior.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:44 AM   #82
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuus0 View Post
What is this? Why not for audio? Do we want this for audio?
We already have that for audio.

And yes, we want it.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:44 AM   #83
DarkStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Thanks for all the feedback! We will start plowing through all of the bug reports and suggestions. There will be a lot to do, so if you feel like your bug report was overlooked when the next build comes out, please don't hesitate to remind us.
If you meant bug reports and suggestions closely-related to the changes for v5, then all's well. Otherwise this thread could well become another "bump-my-favourite-FR" fest and quickly become side-tracked. If you see me post in this thread anything not related to the v5-specific changes then please delete it.

But I do hope that you guys will take a thorough look at the Issue Tracker and Nitpick items - there''s many items there that could be tackled.

------------------------
Having said that, good work on the JS FX Editor. For me, it would be more useful to have the 2 panels side by side and to be able to open different files (ie.g. the main code and a library) in each.

And, for the "more toolbars" - that seems to be a halfway house - doubling the numbers available, Why not go the whole hog and go for 128 / 64?
Old 12-22-2014, 05:50 AM   #84
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Why not go the whole hog and go for 128 / 64?
The menus (Switch/Open/Position Toolbar) would become very unwieldy, unless if they'd sort the entries into COLUMNS (this is very needed for FX parameter lists when you click the Param button, too - any plugin with over 100 automatable parameters makes this list excrutiating to scroll through).

But they could increase to 32/16, easily. Menus would still be largely fine.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:53 AM   #85
timothys_monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
What about potentially sample accurate automation and plugins not using CPU when no audio is passing into them? they are pretty big benefits (if the plugins actually use them)
Can't see no difference in perfomance. Tested with Klanghelm's DC8C2 and Melda's MDynamicEQ.

No matter if there's running audio through the plugin or not, VST2 and VST3 both have a load of 0,3 % CPU.

I hope that DarkStar is right with his assumption:

Quote:
[...] my guess was that Reaper would become able to load VST3 plug-ins and run them, effectively with VST2 functionality.
At a later stage support for some or all of the VST3 functionality may be added.
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:55 AM   #86
EcBaPr

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I must say this doesn't feel like v5.0... Certainly doesn't have the same impact as when v4.0 appeared, now THAT had several WOW moments for me. But this v5.0... You guys have almost completely neglected Elevated FR list. That hurts. Groove quantize, automation items, area selection, grouping improvements... Get some of most voted elevated FRs done first, then move on to other improvements! Long standing issues still neglected.
The problem is you have an inflated sense of entitlement.. Just shut up and be grateful, make suggestions and offer respectful feedback etc, but stop acting like you are owed something.
EcBaPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:58 AM   #87
EvilDragon

I'm just calling things as I see them. I'm not entitled to anything, I'm aware of that. But it's sad to see important fixes not being done for so long and important features with LOTS OF VOTES already completely disregarded.

Besides, we're on a forum. You can't make me shut up even if you want me to And no, I won't shut up. Somebody has to say these things to devs. Video is not a major feature for a lot of Reaper users. I'm fairly certain in that. So, devs being excited about a feature most people won't use? Well done, well done indeed. I'm not impressed.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:00 AM   #88
Xenakios

Quote:
Interestingly, two of the features we are most excited about have hardly been commented on. In the next few days we will put out some examples of how the new video and reascript features can be used.
ReaScript stuff always interests me, but I've pretty much settled on Python for that, so the addition of Lua and any changes to the Eel scripting are not that significant for me...The IDE for ReaScript could be a nice productivity enhancer, I will have to play with that more. (A feature suggestion : autocompletion of API function names? )

The video stuff feels a bit...I dunno...Is the plan that Reaper is going to become an actual serious alternative to something like Vegas for video work? Maybe video stuff would be better as a separate Cockos project?

IMHO the audio (and glah, MIDI, though I don't personally care that much for that) parts in Reaper still have plenty of scope for development and enhancement. Or has that simply become boring for you to work on?
Old 12-22-2014, 06:04 AM   #89
EvilDragon

ReaScript New/Load button: doesn't want to create a new file at all. I type a new file name and select the extension I want (.py, for example), and it throws an error about non-existing file.

On the other hand, action ReaScript: Edit new ReaScript, works.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:06 AM   #90
heda

- Video: Thanks for dockable video window!. The video features are very interesting. You can even modulate video effects parameters! video opacity fade in and out and adding text, and more. Very useful! It is strange that video tracks that are below other video tracks are shown on top of the above ones in the video. Normally tracks above other tracks in the arrange, are like layers of video on top of the below ones. The pin on top button still shows up when clicking on the video if it is in full screen.

- graphics/UI API (gfx*) extended, added support for Lua. WOW This is huge. We still can't see all the possibilities. More example scripts please.

- VST3 support. Does it mean also that it won't use CPU when the effect is not used in the track?

- Automation. I still think we need Min and Max and scaling of automation to be defined by track. Not only for volume envelopes. Example wanting to automate an fx parameter that goes from 0.001 to 0.01.

- Theming: Can we also theme scroll bars of some other dockable windows, like track list window?

THANKS!
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:10 AM   #91
lalelu

Quote:
Video is of absolutely no use to me so I didn't comment about it... I've expected more on MIDI and automation side of things (and I hope it comes, IMHO automation clips is a much more exciting feature than video effects and editing - and definitely something more marketable, as it can pool in users of FL Studio and other similar DAWs, for example).

Lack of comments on those two features you're most excited about should show that not everyone shares your excitedness about them (and perhaps you shouldn't market R5 update with THOSE two features as main updates - IMHO that would be wrong) Reaper still has way too many small inconsistencies that are stepping stones of workflow. I expect a lot of them to be dealt with, now is the time.

I must say this doesn't feel like v5.0... Certainly doesn't have the same impact as when v4.0 appeared, now THAT had several WOW moments for me. But this v5.0... You guys have almost completely neglected Elevated FR list. That hurts. Groove quantize, automation items, area selection, grouping improvements... Get some of most voted elevated FRs done first, then move on to other improvements! Long standing issues still neglected. Fix the CC reset bugs when looping, and there are definitely some more happening with external MIDI out! And these are BASICS, supposed to be taken care of early on, not dragged till present day...
I have ot say, I completely agree here. But I have faith Cockos will add some of the important audio-related features for v5 final...
lalelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:11 AM   #92
Soli Deo Gloria

My first doubt :

In the attached test project, I make a series of jumps with JS Utility : volume/pan. The automation has no effect at all unless I make some freehand drawing in the envelope. The same project runs fine on v4.76, so I assume there must be some new setting I´m missing. Am I wrong?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wab1dldhs5...doubt.RPP?dl=0
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:26 AM   #93
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Regarding more toolbars.... I'd like even more. 32 arrange and 16 MIDI would be swell!
Same here

Especially with the new SWS toolbar features.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:41 AM   #94
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback! We will start plowing through all of the bug reports and suggestions. There will be a lot to do, so if you feel like your bug report was overlooked when the next build comes out, please don't hesitate to remind us.

As in the past, we will be tweaking, changing, and adding features for a while before officially releasing the new version.

Interestingly, two of the features we are most excited about have hardly been commented on. In the next few days we will put out some examples of how the new video and reascript features can be used.
I'm excited by video as some one who is in the media industry it can be a massive advantage dealing with alpha channels and crossfades would be very useful if we have that now?

My main pleading wants though for media of the top of my head are;

1. Meta data and sub folder searches in media explorer (so we can use it as a proper sample library.)

2. PIPs (just a few last features to put it out in the main stream)

3. Fx parameters on item fxs should be accessible/editable (just like item volume, pan, pitch and mute).

4. Groove quantise?

That's what comes to mind straight away. Hope some of that makes it as reaper really is starting to turn heads in the ever expanding world of sound design/music for games.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:41 AM   #95
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm duchenne View Post
What I see and hear is that the envelope points are correct in both modes, but if you change it, the amplitude curve between each point is different.
The difference will be small if there is a lot of automation points, but can be very important between points that have been put with the mouse with very different values.

Duh! of course! A straight line in a non-linear scaling is not, actually, a straight line...

>
Old 12-22-2014, 06:42 AM   #96
ELP

Video: timecode ruler improvements

Ok i comment one´´

It is a really good thing that when you use hour:minutes:seconds:frames
that the offset you can set is in hour:minutes:seconds:frames
and if you use a different timeline for example minutes:seconds without frames,
that the offset you can set is automatic switch to time milliseconds.

Really important for easier video synchronization with audio

What edit the video with effects are concerned, well yes,
I use reaper for Midi and audio and certainly not to make videos .

Therefore, the thing with the timeline is very good!
Videos with effects editing... provided for me .. I have no need or only really a very small need.

For me it is more important that Midi and automation absolut 100% works or
maybe is better than in other DAWs that should be good for Midi(Hardware and Software)
or generell things exists at all .
At the moment i miss to much that are normally a must.
For example :Look at my first post here.
A DAW without release values is something like a DAW without Audio..

So video effect are a giveaway, goodies or i don´t know what ---
but really not a must have in a DAW if other normal generell basic top DAW things doesn´t work.

No offense just my opinion
But I think it will come ..
Thank you.

Last edited by ELP; 12-22-2014 at 06:58 AM.
ELP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:45 AM   #97
musicbynumbers

I do agree with EvilDragon on being surprised by lack of elevated Feature Requests here.

Democracy?

A lot did get added in 4 alpha though as it progressed!

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 12-22-2014 at 06:52 AM.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:47 AM   #98
bob

in the new default theme the mixer is awfully squashed

Old 12-22-2014, 06:48 AM   #99
Sexan

Yeah...Before V4 alpha came out (AFAIR) Elevated FRs were edited to : comming to V4
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:57 AM   #100
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Democracy?
Benevolent dictatorship?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:01 AM   #101
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Benevolent dictatorship?
Long live dictator Justin and the nation of Reaparia

But that does make the FR system a little redundant no?

Is it there to give the illusion of a vote?

It does seem reaper 5 will be even more open to 3rd party add ons which could be the way to go.

Especially if you guys are getting tired of it all?
Old 12-22-2014, 07:01 AM   #102
DarkStar

Tinting a track tints the whole panel:

I could not find where that preference has gone. Or why it is greyed out. It does come back if I load the Default 4.0 theme.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:01 AM   #103
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Benevolent dictatorship?
wait, can YOU guys release "the interview" for us?

Quote:
Long Live dictator Justin and the nation of reaparia
Hear Hear!

as to entitlement:

If you didn't feel entitled, your feelings wouldn't get hurt

maybe this would, however, be a good time to bump a list of the most elevated features? Not in here, of course. Everyone knows that this stage of the process is soooo in a process of change....
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:02 AM   #104
typewriter

Blame on me - I added the VST3 path... Now there are VSTis

I inserted Vienna Ensemble Pro VST3 but the routing (audio) does not behave like the dialog after insert states. The audio outs are not created and there are mono outputs announced, something that Vienna Pro not offers.
typewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:05 AM   #105
timothys_monster

Quote:

I could not find where that preference has gone. Or why it is greyed out. It does come back if I load the Default 4.0 theme.
+ Appearance: themes can override tint/peaks preferences (such prefs will be disabled in the preferences if so) via rtconfig 'tcptint' and 'peaksedges')
Old 12-22-2014, 07:06 AM   #106
EvilDragon

Quote:
Benevolent dictatorship?
Might as well remove the tracker from the forum completely, then... Voting system obviously doesn't tell you what the users would like to see in Reaper sooner rather than later, which kinda makes it useless, or?
Old 12-22-2014, 07:08 AM   #107
ELP

"DarkStar: I could not find where that preference has gone. Or why it is greyed out. It does come back if I load the Default 4.0 theme."

that´s because the theme itself set this settings if you use a 5.xx Theme.
It´s the same with tint media item waveform etc.pp
Besides, the way I find the new theme at the moment ugly

VST3 support is super.

Last edited by ELP; 12-22-2014 at 07:13 AM.
ELP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:08 AM   #108
airon

The video improvements are good for post workflows.

I have no idea what the scripting could be used for. I'm out for automation, mixing and editing workflows. The video stuff is a small bit of that, and it works rather well now. Some of the major kinds are now history.

Video is dockable. The SMPTE timecode time ruler is actually very useful now and accurate now, especially for the poor sods who have to work with 29.97df. It all even looks good with session offsets, and you can enter SMPTE timecode offsets in the project settings now.

On top of that, OSX users have MUCH more efficient and capable video decoding and encoding now, with AVFoundation being used. That's not available to Windows users, but I'm not complaining. It all works for now. I'm sure I'll find stuff to 'want' in that area, but for now video is pretty neat.

It's a nice set of goodies and fixups. Long-standing issues and shortcomings, fixed. One of the oldest requests concerning video is this one, and it's basically done now.

This isn't it either. There will be more. There was during the last big version change cycle. VST3 still requires sidechain busses, so that's an interesting bit that might still get hashed out. Should sidechain busses be hidden and only visible to VST3 plugins, or would those busses show up as a hidden track from which you can freely route, and so on.

I'll test the stuff I'm going to use heavily, and more if I can. Right now, that's video playback and encoding and VST3 plugins. Video effects is a little outside of what I usually do. All the video producing folks might enjoy this though.

Last edited by airon; 12-22-2014 at 07:22 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:09 AM   #109
timothys_monster

Can't set the metronome pattern to 11/8.

If I type in more than 4 pattern digits, they will be deleted after closing the metronome window. And even if I let it open they won't be played (only 4 of them).

Old 12-22-2014, 07:11 AM   #110
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothys_monster View Post
Can't set the metronome pattern to 11/8.

If I type in more than 4 pattern digits, they will be deleted after closing the metronome window. And even if I let it open they won't be played (only 4 of them).
Check the tempo signature marker options and set the metronome pattern there?
Old 12-22-2014, 07:15 AM   #111
timothys_monster

Quote:
Check the tempo signature marker options and set the metronome pattern there?
Thanks, ED. This works. But I changed the time signature globally. So the pattern in the metronom window should take care of it, shouldn't it?
Old 12-22-2014, 07:15 AM   #112
swiiscompos

Anyone know if it's possible to create streamers and punches with the new video features?
swiiscompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:17 AM   #113
EvilDragon

Quote:
Thanks, ED. This works. But I changed the time signature globally. So the pattern in the metronom window should take care of it, shouldn't it?
Possible. Might be a bug - how are others feeling about this? In any case, I would defer the metronome beat pattern to the markers themselves rather than global metronome options...
Old 12-22-2014, 07:22 AM   #114
DarkStar

Quote:

Quote:
+ Appearance: themes can override tint/peaks preferences (such prefs will be disabled in the preferences if so) via rtconfig 'tcptint' and 'peaksedges')
Thank you - did you find where the possible values are described?
Old 12-22-2014, 07:23 AM   #115
alextone

Default version 5

Could we have some more midi ports please? Virtual ones are fine, and even better if the user can pick the number they want. (Will help us chaps and chappettes using wine/linux)

If a jackmidi virtual port structure is out of the question, Alsa virtual midi ports are fine as long as wine can see them. We can convert them to jackmidi with existing tools.

Alex.

Last edited by alextone; 12-22-2014 at 07:28 AM.
alextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:24 AM   #116
musicbynumbers

Default Metronome.

Maybe crazy but I would love in the metronome panel if we could pick up to 10 samples and choose to trigger these out of selected outputs.

The reason for this is to add verbal samples of a voice counting downwards like this.

"5,4,3,2,1.5,4,3,2,1.7,6,5,4,3,2,1.."

Having a voice counting downwards in the time signature you're in is really powerful for not only declaring to the drummer the current sig (simply because the bar starts with the number of the time sig) but also because the voice cuts through very well but doesn't deafen you with transients. Also, declaring poly-rhythms is much easier.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:25 AM   #117
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextone View Post
Could we have some more midi ports please? Virtual ones are fine, and even better if the user can pick the number they want.
I'm using R in wine/linux, a If it's possible to introduce jackmidi ports.
This is not up to Reaper. You can use any virtual MIDI port application you want. MIDImate works fine here.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:26 AM   #118
EvilDragon

Quote:
The reason for this is to add verbal samples of a voice counting downwards like this.

"5,4,3,2,1.5,4,3,2,1.7,6,5,4,3,2,1.."
Wow, first time I see beats being counted DOWNWARDS. Feels weird to me
Old 12-22-2014, 07:32 AM   #119
alextone

Quote:
This is not up to Reaper. You can use any virtual MIDI port application you want. MIDImate works fine here.
Not in Wine/linux it doesn't.

Alex
alextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:33 AM   #120
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
My first doubt :

In the attached test project, I make a series of jumps with JS Utility : volume/pan. The automation has no effect at all unless I make some freehand drawing in the envelope. The same project runs fine on v4.76, so I assume there must be some new setting I´m missing. Am I wrong?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wab1dldhs5...doubt.RPP?dl=0
Got it, fixing!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote