Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 05-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
smasha
Human being with feelings

Default Novation Impulse transport controls

How do I assign the FF/RW and Loop buttons on the Impulse transport to work with Reaper?

Stop,Play and Record work but not the others.

Been an issue with this midi KB since it was released.
smasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
AmyNelRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasha View Post
How do I assign the FF/RW and Loop buttons on the Impulse transport to work with Reaper?

I don't know, but let me know when you figure it out. Just bought an Impulse 61 and I'm already starting to think that I need to return it and go with another company. They are so well known for the touch sensitivity and to that, I say, Awesome... Still... I kinda wanna return it if it's this hard to work with....to which I say, "i wanna cry". It was the only board that i wanted, because of the touch.

A few years ago Reaper would have had a lot of companies questioning them, due to the low prices; but I thought we were past it because of Reapers amazing capabilities in microcompression and speed. I can put the thing on my jump drive, for goodness sakes. That's genius!! I'd be disappointed to think there there are engineers out there that can do *that*, but another company can't automap some transport controls? Hmmmmm. In this economy, this is not the way to keep retention of valued professionals.

We'll see.

Hoping 4.5 brings a full fix,
Amy

Last edited by AmyNelRN; 05-22-2013 at 02:34 PM.
AmyNelRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
rluka

Quote:

I just bought one today and Im having the same problems..... Contacted Novation and havent heard from them yet

Anyone have any luck with the transport controls (is there a workaround)
Thanks
Ron
rluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
ReaperMadness

This is why I think there's a lot to be said for buying a keyboard for the action you want, and buying a separate, dedicated control surface, like the Zero SK MKII.
http://us.novationmusic.com/midi-con...s/zero-sl-mkii

Site specifically lists REAPER and what control you can expect.

Amy, Luka - Sorry to hear of your problems. I feel your frustration.

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:48 AM   #5
Bat71

Default Rewind, Fast Forward and Loop

Did this ever get fixed?

Not working for me (Stop, play and record are working fine) but I can't find any recent threads on the subject.

I contacted Novation but after running through a few steps with me to diagnose the problem they weren't able to help further....
Bat71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:59 AM   #6
DarkStar

Are you running it in AutoMap mode?

Quote:
If Automap is used, Automap will automatically take care of the transport assignment for all the DAWs supported and this setting will not be applicable.

However if not using Automap, this setting lets you select whether DAW transport control commands will be transmitted as MIDI Machine Control (MMC) data (MC), or as Continuous Controller data (CC). When set to MMC, each transport button will send the appropriate standard MIDI command.

If your DAW responds to MMC commands this is the best setting. If not, set this to CC. The transport buttons will then need to be ‘learnt’ to the corresponding DAW transport functions.
For starters, try the basic CC mode and assigning them to the transport actions in Reaper.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:01 AM   #7
Bat71

Yes, running in Automap mode.

As explained, Stop play and record work, loop/rewind fast forward don't, I think this has been an ongoing problem with this controller, but I am not sure if it was ever resolved.

I can assign any of the sliders/rotaries on the impulse as I want using the action list in reaper.

Data from the loop/rewind fast forward are not recognised/picked if I try and assign them in the action list though.

When speaking to Novation we determined that these buttons are sending midi data (controller data shows up in MIDI OX) but that this was not being recognised in Reaper.

I was just curious if anyone had ever got to the bottom of this as it seems to have been mentioned in a few posts last year (like this one) but has not been mentioned since.
Bat71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:36 AM   #8
suxeeder

Hi,

Any solutions to this yet?

Im thinking about buying a Impulse 49.

C
suxeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:06 AM   #9
AmyNelRN

Default my answer to this is that I'm selling this board finally...

....too frustrating for me, personally
AmyNelRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 01:02 PM   #10
brynolf

Shouldn't it be possible to just assign Actions to the controller's buttons freely?
brynolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:04 PM   #11
mestretheo

About the Novation Impulse, check if it's configured to use Midi Machine Control or Control Change in the Setup.
You can check it in the Setup button, right below the LCD. It's the first screen and it shows the word Transprt (without "o").
In that screen if Impulse is set to MMC, it will show "MC". If it's showing "CC", means it is using CC (from 112 to 117, if I remember). In that case, you will have to configure the Actions in Reaper (Transport: Play, Transport: Record and so on) to respond CCs as shortcuts

Give a look at the Impulse User Guide, p20, Setup Mode.

Hint1: the only problem I've found with "MMC" is that fwd/rew move a measure and a half and I'm looking how to adjust that.
Hint2: I don't use Automap, so, if you want to, I'm not the best person (with feelings) to discuss it

Last edited by mestretheo; 01-22-2016 at 02:24 PM.
mestretheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 03:38 AM   #12
smasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestretheo View Post
About the Novation Impulse, check if it's configured to use Midi Machine Control or Control Change in the Setup.
You can check it in the Setup button, right below the LCD. It's the first screen and it shows the word Transprt (without "o").
In that screen if Impulse is set to MMC, it will show "MC". If it's showing "CC", means it is using CC (from 112 to 117, if I remember). In that case, you will have to configure the Actions in Reaper (Transport: Play, Transport: Record and so on) to respond CCs as shortcuts

Hint1: the only problem I've found with "MMC" is that fwd/rew move a measure and a half and I'm looking how to adjust that.
Hint2: I don't use Automap, so, if you want to, I'm not the best person (with feelings) to discuss it
Have no idea how to do this.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:45 AM   #13
smasha

Quote:

No CC numbers are assigned to the Impulse's transport controls I'm afraid.
Old 04-15-2022, 05:51 AM   #14
nunoun

Quote:
No CC numbers are assigned to the Impulse's transport controls I'm afraid.
Wanted to leave a message here after researching this intensely for the past week, in case someone else sees this thread.

The transport controls DO send out CC#s, but displaying them is tricky. To do this:

1) Set the Impulse into CONTROLS mode, i.e. press the Controls button so it's lit up red.
2) Go to the Actions list.
3) Find an action you'd want to assign to the transport button. Click "Add", and press the transport button.

When you do this, Reaper will display the CC# for each transport button as a way to control the action, like any other control signal. Going through each button, you'll see that each is assigned number 112-117, as mentioned earlier in the thread.

Unfortunately, having to be in the Controls menu might be debilitating for actual use while making music. For me, I've given up on it and decided to get a dedication transport controller. I'd rather keep things modular, anyway.

BTW, no there is no way to edit the commands in HUI mode, which would allow for easier use of the buttons in other modes. Only way to use ALL of the Impulse transport buttons is to being that Controls menu at all times.

I hope this helps someone in the future.
nunoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 06:06 AM   #15
nunoun

Quote:

Probably doesn't matter at this point but in case someone runs into this issue, check this video out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRuSNt0jZrg

Note that in the MIDI CC menu when adding the transport button as an action, you'll need to NOT use Absolute. This is because if you keep it as Absolute, Reaper will recognize each button press AND button release as an action.

It'll have to be one of the Relative options (I usually go with Relative 3).
nunoun is offline   Reply With Quote