Old 01-18-2017, 08:46 AM   #81
CUSTOMACTIONMANIA
Human being with feelings

does an updated version of the adobe audition theme exist in stash? all i see is the old one. that theme was dope as in hip hop dope and not the drug dope nor the name calling of a dummy a dope.
CUSTOMACTIONMANIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:54 AM   #82
EpicSounds

For all the complainers

Old 01-18-2017, 10:41 AM   #83
Masonic

There are many things to acknowledge about Reaper but GUI is not one of them. It is not bad and there are some decent choices out there. Unfortunately, so far, none of them made me feel like I’m driving some esoteric Lamborghini. On the contrary, often it makes me feel like I’m pushing a Lamborghini quality engine in a baby’s pushchair up a Himalayan sized mountain.

GUI does not have to be fancy – it has to be elegant, streamlines and functional. Very easy to say –insanely difficult to achieve. Especially, if one would consider vast differences in tastes and workflow preferences. We’re 75% visual creatures. In fact, we exist largely because our fathers liked the way our mothers looked :-) All of that to say, is that a great looking GUI is often the most decisive factor for adopting new workflows and new ways of thinking.

Perhaps we need to start a brand new thread with our suggestions for 2017, and be more specific about it. Just saying “I want it to be better” is not very helpful.
Masonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:01 AM   #84
tgraph

I always like to give a mention to cincikat69 who designed some very nice console style GUIs. I've used a Neve one as my primary theme for quite a while now and paid a very low price for it. Worth checking out.

http://tritonreaperthemes.webs.com/
tgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:26 AM   #85
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel_ef View Post
If you do not like it then use something else.
This is always the response. "If you don't like it, don't use it" lol some people.

Anyway nobody will ever take the GUI seriously at least anytime soon. Tons of threads, tons of logical factual feedback that gets lost in the shuffler and everyone attacks the messenger instead of the issue.

Reaper will never leave the Vegas 1.0 Windows XP Old timey Geocities look until people start giving a shit about LOOKS and PRESENTATION instead of just amazing features. BOTH are important. But whatever. I gave up. Arguing with Reaper fanbois are kinda like the special Olympics: even if you win, you're still retarded.

Have a good one!
Old 01-18-2017, 12:02 PM   #86
Vagalume

I can't believe the post from EpicSounds.
Vagalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:17 PM   #87
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgraph View Post
I always like to give a mention to cincikat69 who designed some very nice console style GUIs. I've used a Neve one as my primary theme for quite a while now and paid a very low price for it. Worth checking out.

gotta second that suggestion.... worth every penny

also gotta say, what other DAW let's you change themes so magically? Just drag and drop from a folder of themes and ...boom! A whole new look...

It's not that reaper can't get better, ... can and it does constantly, but as for themes... hey it is amazing
Old 01-18-2017, 12:23 PM   #88
Masonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
For all the complainers

Complaining and whining are two entirely different things. If something is painful - one has to scream!
Equating complaining with being a loser can only come from a loser. I don’t mean EpicSounds here – I mean the dude in this video. He complains a lot about complaining while sounding like a psychopath

When I complain people who care about me take notice and I often get help. Complaining – is dealing with the reality! At least one of the ways…
Old 01-18-2017, 12:31 PM   #89
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonic View Post
Complaining and whining are two entirely different things.
You know what one difference is? Embellishing in order to get people to look your way vs. leaving the emotion out and properly explaining the true need - even that doesn't guarantee anything either but it will always get more consideration (even when you aren't aware of said consideration).

The moment someone tries to sell a need as a true need, then coats it with embellishments and emotional generalizations, they are sort of shooting themselves in the foot. no one here, just explaining the difference.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:44 PM   #90
Masonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
You know what one difference is? Embellishing in order to get people to look your way vs. leaving the emotion out and properly explaining the true need - even that doesn't guarantee anything either but it will always get more consideration (even when you aren't aware of said consideration).

The moment someone tries to sell a need as a true need, then coats it with embellishments and emotional generalizations, they are sort of shooting themselves in the foot. no one here, just explaining the difference.
Agreed. Though, in some cases, leaving emotions out is a very difficult task.
This is all in "general" , not necessarily about this thread. I don't think I'd scream in pain about some GUI...but then again, maybe I would :-) It depends on the design.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:04 PM   #91
Vagalume

This is getting better every minute ...

So if I have understood right what some of you are implying is something like:
Complaining about the complainers is cool, but .... complaining is not cool. Besides, we can deduce that some of you believe that they really have some kind of "complaining radar" to decide who is complaining or whining, this is cooooool dudes, this is better than changing any GUI or adding expression maps !!!!!! Anyway those special judges (the ones who preserve the cool Reaper spirit) don't give a s###! This sounds epic ...

Suddenly I want to read again 1984 ...
Old 01-18-2017, 01:05 PM   #92
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagalume View Post

... but let the people who support this idea express themselves and ask whatever they want.
If expressing yourself means being insulting than you're going to get responses.

This forum is NOT a "Safe Space".

If you want to complain, people are going to complain about your complaint.

And people like you are going to complain about that complaint and people like me are going to complain about your complaint.

Enjoy.

Kenny
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:18 PM   #93
Gerry P

Quote:

+1 ... I've used the Triton of his for quite a while ... his themes alone should put a choke-hold on those few habitual whiners.. but of course, that's wishful thinking
Old 01-18-2017, 01:20 PM   #94
BRBWaffles

I mean, there are difference between airing grievances, complaining, whining, making an observation, or offering constructive criticism. The issue is that saying "Reaper needs a better GUI" can be interpreted as being any one of those things. We need more information in order for us to make the distinction in your meaning. If you think Reaper needs a better GUI because you feel it impedes productivity, then that's probably a legitimate criticism if it is well supported. If you think it needs a new GUI because you think it's ugly, that's most certainly just a grievance or a complaint. If you think Reaper needs a new GUI because you feel entitled to one, then that is definitely just fucking whining.

The dude in that video just sounds like an intellectually bankrupt psycho who wants to sound profound while appealing to the "common man" by using gratuitous amounts of profanity. But he's really not saying anything of substance at all. Just based on that one clip, if you applied his type of thinking to any legitimate social movement in the twentieth century, surely both women and minorities would still be subservient in Western culture. It makes no sense to think this way.
BRBWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:21 PM   #95
cyrano

Quote:

These are really great looking themes.

But... The site is having the same problem as the REAPER ecosystem. Page load times of 20 seconds are not really acceptable anymore.

And that's the problem I face on a daily basis when trying to be a missionary for REAPER. The info is out there, but it's dispersed over the forum, the stash and a number of other resources. I follow this forum on a daily basis and whenever I get a question about REAPER, I have to spend quite some time finding what I need to answer that question.

I do realise that isn't a problem for the power users on this forum. They know, or they know where or who to ask. But it is a big problem for the user who wants to switch. Most of them haven't got the time to search through a big forum like REAPER's. Unfortunately, Google isn't the answer either, as a lot of resources are badly indexed - or even not indexed at all.

The way the program looks without themes is a symptom of the same ailment. Themes are fine. They are perfect for the power user. But the beginner shouldn't even install themes, imho, as they will render support by others a lot harder.

And then there's the high dpi problem, that will probably make a complete redesign unavoidable in the future. I find this as ridiculous as the next guy. But it IS happening. And pretty soon, all laptops will have high dpi displays...
Old 01-18-2017, 01:22 PM   #96
Vagalume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
This forum is NOT a "Safe Space".
Kenny

I won't read more, my goodness ...
Old 01-18-2017, 01:28 PM   #97
Reason

Whatever term you use for it, pointing out a problem without providing any real alternative is a waste of everyone's time and absolutely deserves the response posted by EpicSounds.

I spent a few minutes going back through this thread and the two others linked by Lokasenna and determined that there is no concrete alternative suggested. All we have is the following:

Good:
Pro Tools (Albert C's lookalike theme mentioned twice)
Studio One 3

Bad:
green (mentioned 2 or 3 times)

The rest of the criticism is variations of expressing dislike. (Which is fine, no one has to like it, but doesn't help fix why it's disliked.)

The issue is that even when directly asked, repeatedly, to provide examples of things liked or disliked, in Reaper or elsewhere, no answer is provided by OP. The question is either ignored or outright deflected. There is simply not enough to go on.

This is not a personal attack. This is observed behavior.

I would suggest OP provide some examples elements he would like to see: glossy, flat, white, black, skeumorphic, non-skeumorphic, color wheels, etc; or perhaps link to the exact themes he finds preferable; or post a screenshot of Studio One 3 and Reaper with similar functionality highlighted, and some explanation of why one is preferable to the other.

Last edited by Reason; 01-18-2017 at 01:35 PM.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:33 PM   #98
bucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
and whiskey, though
https://www.tullamoredew.com/en-gb/

personal recommendation
bucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:41 PM   #99
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucca View Post

personal recommendation
http://www.kilbegganwhiskey.com/our-home

My father-in-law grew up right across the street.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:42 PM   #100
EvilDragon

Quote:

personal recommendation
Yep, hard to come by over here. Often on Old Smuggler over here. Very decent for the money!
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:54 PM   #101
karbomusic

Quote:
The dude in that video just sounds like an intellectually bankrupt psycho who wants to sound profound while appealing to the "common man" by using gratuitous amounts of profanity.
When I see something like that, I explore more about that person to find out what they are about and where there might be some value I could be missing - I did just that. As far as being profane, he's trying to get through to those who are in that audience and need to 'hear' it the most but won't unless it's jagged enough to get their attention. I wouldn't read a thing into it beyond that.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:54 PM   #102
EpicSounds

Thanks @Reason. You get it.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:56 PM   #103
drichard

Saying you don't like something, then saying you also don't like anything from the dozens of alternatives that others have come up with, makes it sound like creating something that person will find useful is an impossible task. If someone has useful input or constructive criticism, great. But asking for changes with no alternatives or ideas is simply written flatulence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagalume View Post
This is really amazing, every week some users ask for changes, for instance a nicer gui ... and suddenly other users say he doesn't need that, he should try another DAW, who the f€~# are you?

If you don't need it just don't write.

I don't need a nicer GUI so I won't say anything about the subject,

... but let the people who support this idea express themselves and ask whatever they want.
drichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:56 PM   #104
bucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome_oneil View Post
My father-in-law grew up right across the street.
u married an oysters daughter?!? pretty well dicicion
Old 01-18-2017, 02:08 PM   #105
AugerJ

Quote:
... I don't think I'd scream in pain about some GUI...but then again, maybe I would :-) It depends on the design.
)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COCY3UVoTGA
AugerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:10 PM   #106
drichard

It's the correct response. Reaper didn't come with a guarantee that Cockos would create a UI that is perfect for you, and on your timeline. The "some people" you mention are the ones who actually understand how things work. You bought a product. If you didn't like it, why did you buy it? And if you really don't like it, the best thing to do is to buy something else that you do like.

The OP offered no ideas, advice, or insight. Sitting around complaining is not productive. It accomplishes nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben View Post
This is always the response. "If you don't like it, don't use it" lol some people.
drichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:12 PM   #107
bucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Yep, hard to come by over here.
http://www.croatiaweek.com/record-vi...air-in-zagreb/

they may run a 3rd fair
Old 01-18-2017, 02:23 PM   #108
REAmix

Reaper is really more about lots of customizable options, and ways to tailor it to your needs, than it is for the developers to make what they believe is the best universally.

It has a decent GUI, if you want a better one, there are lots of options out there, or you can customize it yourself. That's really the reaper way.

I don't know any other DAWs where you can change the GUI. That's the trade off.
REAmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:32 PM   #109
Lokasenna

What the complaint SHOULD be, and something I think everyone in this thread will agree with:

- It would be awfully swell if we had theming access to the remaining GUI elements so that we aren't stuck with a hodgepodge of the theme, stock Reaper, and UI stuff from your OS.

- Too many things share theme settings; colors in the MIDI editor being a great example. It makes it difficult to get a good, consistent look.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:39 PM   #110
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post

I don't think Reaper's GUI is especially pretty...
C'mon, I use the dark one, but it's still the same theme. Moreover, it's the most convenient and the most useful theme!
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:41 PM   #111
Magicbuss

Quote:

personal recommendation
Not bad. Better than Jameson but Bushmills Black Bush isnt much more $ and its really good.

Powers is good also and if you can afford more go for the Redbreast.

Oh and Default Comalla 5 2016 is my new Default theme. All the functionality of the default them but much better looking..IMO

https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1912/De...ReaperThemeZip

Paulie 5 and one of the many Janne Themes are also good.

Last edited by Magicbuss; 01-18-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Magicbuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:51 PM   #112
Masonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugerJ View Post
Ha, ha, ha...Good one.

Back on topic:
I like Paulie 5 theme. It is 90% there. Here is what I want:

I want to be able to grab a track meter, disconnect it from GUI by dragging it, stretch it anyway I want. See picks, rms, detailed numbers reading, and be able to color it separately from a chosen theme. When I'm done with that track, I can click away the meter and it would snap back to the original track and size but still keep the color (or not). Using separate metering plugin for this would not be as fast, or intuitive. Also, in this theme, I'd like to have my track metering (not mixer metering) to be horizontal, right under the fader rather then beside it. More gradient colors in these meters would definitely not hurt.

Also, in "ADD FX" menu-box I'd like to select a group of plugins and give them a certain color highlight; top 10 plugins wold be blue, then next 10 red etc, etc. It would greatly simplify selection of plugins when there is a gazillion of them. It would be nice if assigning these colors could be possible in both sections of this menu-box - on the left and on the right.

I'm not in my studio to make more detailed requests.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:53 PM   #113
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicbuss View Post
Not bad...
Did you try one of these:
https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1923/De...ReaperThemeZip
https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1621/De...icky%20Edition ?
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:58 PM   #114
ivansc

Quote:
When I complain people who care about me take notice

Cant resist this one - too funny in the light of the video.

So effectively what you are saying is that everyone should only complain about things to people who care about them.

Now that WOULD make life a little easier for all of us who DON'T care. Was that really what you intended to say?

(pass the popcorn, somebody please)
Old 01-18-2017, 03:00 PM   #115
ivansc

Quote:
Sadly I only see the Big Guns and their mass market products on there as far as Scots whisky goes.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:04 PM   #116
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
These are really great looking themes.

But... The site is having the same problem as the REAPER ecosystem. Page load times of 20 seconds are not really acceptable anymore.
For those of you who either dont now or have forgotten, Cinci reached a point with his debilitating ailments that he is no longer able to create music (which is how he got to reaper in the first place) and is only just keeping it together to work on his themes and maintaining the site. Cut the guy some slack.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:05 PM   #117
Lannister

Using a Janne 2016 (I think) theme, as I prefer it to the default look.

Now REAPER's functionality + Studio One 3's UI (well not all of the it, the mixer sucks) would be a match made it heaven, for me
Lannister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:09 PM   #118
esosotericmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
For all the complainers

While I agree with what this guy is saying, it's kinda hilarious that this guy is basically complaining himself (about complainers!) and comes off as an epic douche while doing so. And the audience doens't seem much better. That whole scene comes off as some weird 700 club for brogrammers.

I have no point. Just thought it was funny.
esosotericmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:09 PM   #119
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Forgot to add that I just checked the OPs posting statistics and it would appear that more than half of the threads he has started refer to crap themes, terrible gui, etc., without offering a single suggestion as to what might improve it, even from just his own perspective.

And in case nobody noticed, the OP left the building about 2 pages ago.

Ah well.....

Hopefully in his next "reapers gui sucks " thread he will share some of his ideas as to what needs to be improved both why and (wishful thinking I expect) HOW.**

**HOW in this case meaning by giving specific suggestions rather than "they should hire some professional gui expert who is also psychic and can intuit exactly what I want"
Old 01-18-2017, 03:10 PM   #120
Magicbuss

Yup. I did a huge shoot out with all the best themes I could find. Commala won... for now.

I REALLY like the look of the iLogic themes but they are unfinished as far as I can tell.

I need to have alot of available variations for TCP and MCP layouts so I can use different color faders for busses, VCA's, etc. Alot of themes dont have the variety I need for that. No one has a dedicated VCA track yet (no meter - only solo, mute and maybe pan) and that would be a nice addition.
Magicbuss is online now   Reply With Quote