Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-27-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
ginormous
Human being with feelings

Default wav files, sf2 for Plogue Sforzando from a Giga file?

I've got an odd one, and if someone can walk me through it I'd appreciate it.

I got a Gigasampler file for the Yamaha CP80 electro-acoustic piano (the Greg Sullivan samples).
When I looked for an adequate player, none could be found (I tried LinuxSampler, but no go in Reaper).
I discovered that NI Kontakt Player would load Giga files, but it only plays them in demo mode. After a few minutes, it shuts down and asks for a license key. I discovered that this is a problem for anyone with Kontakt Player, which is the "basic" version.

What I discovered, however, was that Kontakt had extracted the wav files, and generated an .nki alongside! I'm hoping the wav files can be of use somehow.

I also found that someone else generated an sf2 of the original Giga file; Plogue and Aria sfz players are compatible with the sf2 format.

Can anyone help me sort this out, that I might be able to generate a sfz-compatible file for the CP80 samples?
ginormous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:45 PM   #2
ginormous

Another stumbling block: SFZ-formatted samples require "acidizing" (I assume this to mean metadata under the Sony Acid format attached to the files). How can I get through this one?
Old 10-27-2014, 02:11 PM   #3
LBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginormous View Post
After a few minutes, it shuts down and asks for a license key. I discovered that this is a problem for anyone with Kontakt Player, which is the "basic" version
I have the basic Kontakt 5 Player and found the same thing but then discovered you have to register at Native Instruments to get a free license key
LBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:28 PM   #4
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBP View Post
I have the basic Kontakt 5 Player and found the same thing but then discovered you have to register at Native Instruments to get a free license key
Huummm, but did that make the Kontakt player so that it would play other nki files that don't come with the Kontakt player itself?

I would be surprised if it did. I think ginormous would need the full Kontakt version to do what he wants to do if he's going to do it with Kontakt.

Also keep in mind that I think Kontakts conversion is based on Chicken Systems or something like that, and it's not perfect.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:40 PM   #5
ginormous

OK, so Kontakt only wants to see NI compliant instruments and libraries... bummer.

How about flipping it to SFZ? Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 10-28-2014, 02:19 AM   #6
DarkStar

^^^
No, there is some misunderstanding here.

Anyone can download, activate and run Kontakt Player. It is primarily for use with NI-licensed libraries (which come with their own Serial Number, for Activation) but it can also be used as a demo, loading any Kontakt instrument or various other instrument formats.

But the demo, as you have found, only runs for 15 minutes at a time, and cannot reload saved instrumentes. The only way around that constraint is to buy Kontakt.

---------------------
As for converting .gig files to .sfz, have a look at Extreme Sample Converter. And, for a player, try CWITEC's TX16Wx.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:40 AM   #7
RobertP

There is a .gig player called G-Player if that is more helpful way to use what you have.

http://www.soundlib.com/gplayer/
Old 10-28-2014, 02:45 AM   #8
LBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginormous View Post
OK, so Kontakt only wants to see NI compliant instruments and libraries... bummer.

How about flipping it to SFZ? Does anyone have any ideas?
From what I gather .SFZ files are formatted text files that reference the various samples used, so assuming the samples you have are WAV files, you could put them in directories and create your own .SFZ files.

Some details can be found here http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr0...rtech_0408.htm

I hope this helps...
Old 10-28-2014, 06:27 AM   #9
hopi

Extreme Sample Converter [ESC] 3.6 is what you want to get... I'd get it anyway, just cuz it does so much in the way of converting sample formats...

well it won't do 'everything' but it will do a darn lot!
Old 10-28-2014, 12:00 PM   #10
ginormous

Annoying. Kontakt plays the long-departed Gigasampler instrument files, but times out after 15 minutes.

Native Instruments? Tascam discontinued the line, so there's no support. They're gone, fellas. End of Life. No longer a threat. Quit beating the dead horse. Let the Giga files (some of which are remarkable, BTW) find a good home, for those who invested heavily.

/rant

Now, to the non-hassle file players or file converters...
Of course, an instrument contains many samples (like the keyboard I'm trying to use), so I'll need a batch conversion/file format creation feature.
I was hoping to stay freeware, since everything I propose has to go through the "finance dept" (AKA wifey).
Any leads there, or will I have to actually buy something?

Last edited by ginormous; 10-28-2014 at 12:18 PM. Reason: add'l info
Old 10-28-2014, 04:00 PM   #11
LBP

Nothing looks free from what I can see but this article may help.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov0...s/qa1109_2.htm

Sample Lord looks cheapest and is by the same developers as Extreme Sample Converter, trials can be found at http://www.extranslator.com/index.php?page=bundle

Good luck
Old 11-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #12
ginormous

Found a workaround... there's a guy on the Harmony Central forum who created an sf2 version of the Sullivan CP80 (this is a link to a zip file).

Took the 4 folders of .wav files (different velocities) that Kontakt created from the Sullivan giga format, and copy-and-pasted them to a folder with the sf2. When I loaded them into the Plogue player, it converted them into sfz.

Anyway, I went around the block to get next door, but it worked.

edit: I'll share if you shoot me a PM.

Last edited by ginormous; 11-21-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:07 PM   #13
Synthiemental

Hi there. Do you still have the sf2 or sfz versions of the Greg Sullivan CP80? Maybe even of his two other electric pianos (Pianet and Wurlitzer)?

I think his CP80 is the only freely available one, right? Would be very unfortunate if it vanished from the public sphere.

Thanks!
Synthiemental is offline   Reply With Quote