Old 09-12-2019, 01:46 PM   #1
Larry Kriz
Human being with feelings

Default graphics program

I'd like to take a stab at developing a new theme (or at least making changes to a default one).

What program do you find good for this work? Free is good lol. Would Gimp be adequate or maybe even just the stock MS Paint program? I don't need anything too fancy. Mostly I think I'd just like to be able to change the colors of default items to start with.

It would be nice if it had a color picker (something to pick up a certain color from another app and transfer it over maybe).

Thanks!
Old 09-12-2019, 04:58 PM   #2
prom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kriz View Post
Free is good lol. Would Gimp be adequate

Yes free is more than adequate in this scenario,
GIMP or/and Inkscape

Those two are more than capable.
prom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:01 AM   #3
ernzo

If you can't even find a proper image editing software on your own..
how are you going to deal with super complex theme coding (Walter etc)? :P

Last edited by ernzo; 09-15-2019 at 12:31 AM.
ernzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:47 AM   #4
emwhy

Try paint.net

https://www.getpaint.net/index.html

It's free and I've used it to tweak theme elements for Reaper that wanted to change. Cubic, who is an excellent themer uses it as well. It was very good for me to create a bunch of custom icons for the theme I use now.
emwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:56 AM   #5
Larry Kriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernzo View Post
If you don't know graphic design, or can't even find a proper image editing software on your own..
how are you going to deal with super complex theme coding (Walter etc)? :P
yer right I should just give up

To the others: thanks for your suggestions! I'll take a look at those options. I've used Gimp before. Something from one of my college classes. I might start there again. It's been a while.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:30 AM   #6
prom

Hey Larry,don't give up,check it out by diving in and seeing how you go, it's fairly straight forward to do the simple stuff like re-color an image etc and if you read and follow instructions by White Tie you can find your feet fairly quickly,I did this and got to a level fast enough with Reaper 4 experiments,hard part is implementing a unique graphical approach (having elegant workable design ideas,building them in graphics editor ,then incorporating those into theme with effective clean code.
Someone mentions Paint.net ,yes good choice,I have used it and it's great.

*note - There is a little helper you should be made aware of,it is mentioned in instructions, it allows you to refresh the theme you are working on and see your changes implemented instantly.
Search for theme refresh toolbar button.

As has been posted many times - follow detailed instructionals by White Tie and you will be zoned in fast to the method.
prom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:25 AM   #7
Larry Kriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by prom View Post
Hey Larry,don't give up,check it out by diving in and seeing how you go, it's fairly straight forward to do the simple stuff like re-color an image etc and if you read and follow instructions by White Tie you can find your feet fairly quickly,I did this and got to a level fast enough with Reaper 4 experiments,hard part is implementing a unique graphical approach (having elegant workable design ideas,building them in graphics editor ,then incorporating those into theme with effective clean code.
Someone mentions Paint.net ,yes good choice,I have used it and it's great.

*note - There is a little helper you should be made aware of,it is mentioned in instructions, it allows you to refresh the theme you are working on and see your changes implemented instantly.
Search for theme refresh toolbar button.

As has been posted many times - follow detailed instructionals by White Tie and you will be zoned in fast to the method.
lol thanks for the positive response prom! Yeah I've been poking around some of those "theme threads" as well as KG's excellent videos on these topics. I'm pretty sure I can get somewhere without injuring myself lol. For the time being, I'm more or less ok with the stock V5 theme but I'd like to make some color adjustments to some of the elements. I'll also be looking at all the wonderful 3rd-party theme options but I didn't want to get too crazy yet. I'm still crawling lolol.