Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 09-18-2019, 12:14 AM   #1
buenavista
Human being with feelings

Default Hey Midi Fanatics!--please help--notes cutting off after quantize or manual move

Example:

Lay down a piano part using hardware midi keyboard through vsti. Everything plays back fine, but there are some mistakes I want to correct. Try to correct mistakes by using quantize action in midi editor. Or try to correct mistakes by simply moving notes manually in midi editor. Result either way: seemingly random notes have a drastic change in volume envelope. Usually brief attack then the note cuts off entirely with no sustain. Basically sounds like a muted note.

Tried different vsti: waves electric 200, ik modo bass, and reaper reasynth. Makes no difference.

Instrument sounds fine until notes get moved, then it all goes to shit. This seems like a problem with the program to me. But I did a big search on the reaper forum and not much came up which makes me hopeful like perhaps I have a setting that's not right.

If you're a midi wizard and you get a chance, please try to duplicate this, or tell me the obvious thing I'm probably missing. Much appreciated!

I'm running 5.981 but it happens in my older version as well.
buenavista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:43 AM   #2
domzy

what you are describing sounds like you might have particular notes overlapping or double triggering - have you tried editing the note lengths as well as positions?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:21 AM   #3
buenavista

Thanks for responding. ... Yes, I have tried shortening notes so no overlaps with different notes on piano roll. Or do you mean that there could be two notes on top of each other? ...

I have also tried isolating offending notes by muting all surrounding notes. That single isolated note will still sound like a dud same as before.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:28 AM   #4
buenavista

My next steps will be to write in midi information manually then try to manipulate timing--see if I get same problem. If I don't, I'm going to try using virtual reaper keyboard. Will report back.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:18 PM   #5
buenavista

Well, I spent some more time on this problem. I think I may have solved it. Not totally sure, but for now the problem seems to have gone away. It's tough to say for sure because it's so random and difficult to reproduce on command. I think it may have been my keyboard controller. I recently switched to my old Kawai synth, and I think that may be the culprit. I switched back to my ensoniq, and for now the problem has gone away. If it returns, I'll report back, otherwise solved. Not sure how that could have anything to do with it, but that's what I'm going with for now.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:43 PM   #6
Oleq

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenavista View Post
... I recently switched to my old Kawai synth, and I think that may be the culprit. I switched back to my ensoniq, and for now the problem has gone away.
Hi. Not an odd question ) Could you name the exact models of Kawai and ensoniq?
Oleq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:20 PM   #7
buenavista

Sure. Kawai k3. Ensoniq ks-32.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:30 PM   #8
Oleq

Thanks.
Oleq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:12 AM   #9
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenavista View Post
Sure. Kawai k3. Ensoniq ks-32.
Cool, I have K4
Good you solved it, otherwise I would suggest sharing a screenshot of your situation, with possible list view of your midi editor. Plus routing your midi through something like Midi-Ox, if in windows.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote