Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 12-19-2019, 02:21 AM   #1
fripholm
Human being with feelings

Default 6.0 theme - 50% and 75% layouts in MCP not working

For my taste, the default MCP layouts are still too large at 100% and I'd like to use one of the other provided options at 75 or 50% - but Reaper won't switch to the selected layout:

What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: oops, wrong sub-forum. Mods, please move accordingly - sorry.

Last edited by fripholm; 12-19-2019 at 02:29 AM.
fripholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:47 AM   #2
mykrobinson

I had the same question, and @white tie explained that this option is for folks using 4K monitors and display scaling. If you are not using a 4K screen, options below 100% will not function.

At least, that was my understanding.
mykrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:40 PM   #3
fripholm

Given that Reaper is so highly configurable in about every regard to the point where the sheer amount of options can be overwhelming at times - why not let the user decide what layout to choose?!

Doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway - at least there's the original 5.0 theme for more screen estate...
Old 12-21-2019, 07:47 AM   #4
ferropop

I'm in the same boat -- 4k and I find the real estate is pretty seriously compromised with the new theme. If you flip between v5 and v6 themes, you're talking Many tracks disappearing off the screen when v6 is engaged. It's too bad because for me the entire point of a 4k screen is to be able to fit as much stuff on screen as possible for easy arranging.
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:20 AM   #5
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by fripholm View Post
Given that Reaper is so highly configurable in about every regard to the point where the sheer amount of options can be overwhelming at times - why not let the user decide what layout to choose?!
Isn't that exactly what users can do, select the layouts which work best for them?

What you seem to be asking for is actually more or different layouts with maybe smaller panels and/or more controls visible. Reasoning for dropping dozens of different layouts the v5 default has was that users tend to use only a few anyway. And Theme adjuster allows to adjust the layouts more dynamically. For a comparison, V5 default has e.g. 19 different TCP layouts. With the new size options that would make 95 layouts just for the TCP alone. Leaving aside the task of making that kind of a theme, honest question for you as an end user, would you be happy scrolling through all that?

If you want the looks of the current default but with some changes, custom themes will be popping up as always. Maybe you could post your needs in the theme forum and somebody might be able to help with that.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 11:20 AM   #6
mykrobinson

If you don't mind using knobs instead of faders, the narrow width option makes the MCP much smaller. This option is in the theme adjuster
mykrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 11:37 AM   #7
Joe90

Or you can mod the rtconfig file and make the tracks narrower. I don't code and know next to nothing about WALTER, but I managed this with a bit of trial and error -

https://stash.reaper.fm/37900/mixer%206.0%20modded.png

Much narrower tracks but still with faders, removed a bunch of buttons I didn't need, added some extra coloured layout options, more obvious track selection, and track name above the fader where I like it. Far from perfect but does the job for me, and still reacts to the theme adjuster options (mostly).

If you want do something similar then there are a couple of 6.0 theming threads going at the moment that helped me - take a look in the theming area of the forum and you'll find what you need.
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 01:29 AM   #8
fripholm

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
What you seem to be asking for is actually more or different layouts with maybe smaller panels and/or more controls visible.
No, I was asking why there are options shown that apparently do not work when the screen resolution is lower than 4k. I'd like to try them anyway.

I've never bothered much with themes. In R5.xx, I made some minor adjustments to the colours of the 5.0 theme but basically left it at default. When 6 came out, I left it at default, too. It just worked for me - until I realized that the mixer is showing less tracks than before. That was indeed a show stopper and the reason for asking...
Old 12-22-2019, 07:31 AM   #9
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by fripholm View Post
No, I was asking why there are options shown that apparently do not work when the screen resolution is lower than 4k. I'd like to try them anyway.
Well, mykrobinson already answered to that. My reply was to your follow up post.

Here's White Ties original answer:
Quote:
The 50% and 75% layouts aren't real; they are the 100% and 150% layouts for users for whom 200% is the 'normal' layout. And they don't get any bigger layouts. Make sense?
So it's not that you couldn't choose those layouts, but that they don't work in your setup. And you would like them to work even if just for a test, because you need more tracks visible than currently possible. That is understandable. All I'm pointing out is that there are reasons why there must be a limited amount of layouts available and that there are solutions for that, some already offered in this topic.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote