Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 03-20-2020, 12:18 PM   #1
tedoo
Human being with feelings

Default Modulating parameters with Velocity in ReaSamplomatic5000

Hello

I cant find much online or in the manual about this, but is it possible to modulate parameters on the reasamplomatic5000 with velocity? I want to assign velocity to modulate sample start.

I'm fairly new to reaper having used Logic for 15 years-Reaper is MILES better-wish I'd started earlier.

The Samplomatic5000 is really cool, love how quick it is to create velocity layers and I swear it sounds better than a lot of other SoftSamplers. I know how to link any CC, aftertouch,pitch,channel pressure and the LFO to any parameter but not Velocity? I would have thought it would be under the aftertouch,pitch,channel pressure menu. Even my ancient samplers have got Vel>SampleStart. Just hoping i'm missing something.

Any help would be much appreciated.
tedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 01:00 PM   #2
jrk

Oooh, you'd think there'd be an easy way... You can certainly do it with ReaLearn
https://www.helgoboss.org/projects/realearn/
Old 03-20-2020, 04:30 PM   #3
TonE

tedo, welcome, you can use pizmidi midiConverter3 or any other similar tool for converting among midi event types, e.g. velocity to cc, it works nicely.

I am using this conversion trick for converting note pitch to velocity, so I can play different samples (velocity layers) from different keys, while using hackey trackey. Then I put a second converter before that velocity to pitchbend, so I can even pitch samples via velocity, also editing via hackey trackey. You see, you can create whatever you like, have an idea, do a few conversions, and it will work.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 05:06 PM   #4
tedoo

Thanks very much for the replies guys.

So it isn't part of the sampler then, thats a shame. They should add that on.

But I'll check out ReaLearn and if i get what your saying TonE, I would put the pitzimidi plug in before the Samplo5000, use that to convert the velocity coming from my midi track to a CC, then assign the parameter I want, e.g.sample start to that same CC in the samplomatic?

As I say its a shame, I use TX16 sometimes but prefer the samplomatic for its ease of use but that is one mighty drawback for drum/rhythm stuff, not having Velocity readily assignable to different parameters.

Thanks very much again.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:46 PM   #5
tedoo

Just tried it with pitzmidi-works a treat-thanks again. Guess I can just save an FX chain so it'll be very little hassle to be fair.

That sounds interesting what your doing converting note pitch to velocity so you can select different samples/layers with keys- hmm, yeah messing around with MIDI is ace. You could select layers with the mod wheel as well, that might be cool. Have quick 16ths firing, move the MOD wheel, would sound and feel like scratching on a cut up vocal sample.

Cant use hackey tracky as i'm on osx.

Cheers
Old 03-20-2020, 05:54 PM   #6
Fergler

Take a look at ReaLearn too because it can come in handy for all sorts of things, cross tracks even. I just started using it aswell and it's saved so much headache in my track templates!
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 03:43 AM   #7
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedoo View Post
Cant use hackey tracky as i'm on osx.
hackey trackey should work anywhere, it is a lua plugin. It works in win (wine in linux) or directly in linux, so it should work in osx as well. Because its developer, saike, is a genius. Hi saike.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:46 AM   #8
TonE

Quote:
Have quick 16ths firing, move the MOD wheel, would sound and feel like scratching on a cut up vocal sample.
Or let Reaper move it, via parameter modulation, you want probabilistic triggers, add Time Waster's Random Note Gate jsfx, from ReaRack 3 I guess. You can add probability to any note, e.g. your drum fills, on a specific midi channel (per channel feature was just recently added).
Old 03-21-2020, 03:49 AM   #9
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
Take a look at ReaLearn too because it can come in handy for all sorts of things, cross tracks even. I just started using it aswell and it's saved so much headache in my track templates!
If it does not crash, yes. I tested it once, and it did not pass my tests. In theory it is a great tool, in practice, exactly what I wanted to do with it, it did not work somehow, plus its developer long time ago promised code will be published, did not publish anything later, so thanks, not for me. One has to hold their word first.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:47 PM   #10
tedoo

As I say im fairly new to reaper. Just trying to get ReaRack to work. i've downloaded it to my desktop, but i forget how I get reaper to acknowledge it. Ive gone to preferences, plug ins, vst re-scan, but ReaRack not showing up?Seems like a good plug-in.

TonE-i'll re-check that but the link i saw just had windows as a requirement, I didn't realise Linux works with osx, thanks again
Old 03-21-2020, 07:22 PM   #11
DVDouglas
Banned

In both systems it works the same, remember that it is the same application
DVDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:09 PM   #12
TonE

Quote:
As I say im fairly new to reaper. Just trying to get ReaRack to work. i've downloaded it to my desktop, but i forget how I get reaper to acknowledge it. Ive gone to preferences, plug ins, vst re-scan, but ReaRack not showing up?Seems like a good plug-in.

TonE-i'll re-check that but the link i saw just had windows as a requirement, I didn't realise Linux works with osx, thanks again
jsfx, which ReaRack is you need to copy into the Effects folder.

Which link? Lua is built into Reaper.

sws extension, reapack you should install first. Later you can install and update latest lua plugins via reapack. Then you have more than 3000 additional lua scripts, doing all kind of useful things. List is growing permanently, thanks to all the devs.