Old 04-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
bachstudies
Human being with feelings

Location: No longer using REAPER and no longer active in the forums.
Default Classical Editing Requests

Hi All,

I'm liking the improvements to Reaper release after release but I'm still wondering about some classical editing deficiencies:

1) Constraining of cross-fade length as you drag one item over another. I like how Samplitude works with a limited length by default. Also Ardour offers either short or full crossfades (the former's length controlled via preferences). It would be great to offer a key modifier or way to alter default behavior.

2) Crossfade editor. I was so pleased to hear about a dedicated crossfade editor but after all the screenshots and requests for a sequoia/sadie/pyramix-style crossfade editor we've ended up with something that really doesn't add much efficiency beyond the previous editing method. I would love to be able to see the two overlapping items positioned vertically so that I can very quickly line up waveforms (by dragging one of the items) and then move crossfade to appropriate edit point (being able to select from a list of default or customized crossfade shapes and length). Also, any aligning of waveforms should not affect subsequent gaps/edits etc..

See attached image!

Thanks...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03_Sequoia_CF_Editor_1000.jpg (65.2 KB, 291 views)

Last edited by bachstudies; 04-17-2013 at 06:00 PM. Reason: added image
bachstudies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
bachstudies

Since writing my first post, I've discovered that Ardour 3 has the short crossfade as default (also radically overhauled crossfade system in general). It is super-easy to line up wave forms because you can see the lower-level item peaks as you drag (even beyond the crossfade.

So for Reaper -- a repeated request to make short limited (say 30ms) crossfades on item overlap because that's how most people work in the real world. In addition, if a professional visual crossfade editor a la Sequoia is not in the works, a way to see the lower-level item while dragging the other on top of it without having to switch off auto-crossfade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachstudies View Post
Hi All,

I'm liking the improvements to Reaper release after release but I'm still wondering about some classical editing deficiencies:

1) Constraining of cross-fade length as you drag one item over another. I like how Samplitude works with a limited length by default. Also Ardour offers either short or full crossfades (the former's length controlled via preferences). It would be great to offer a key modifier or way to alter default behavior.

2) Crossfade editor. I was so pleased to hear about a dedicated crossfade editor but after all the screenshots and requests for a sequoia/sadie/pyramix-style crossfade editor we've ended up with something that really doesn't add much efficiency beyond the previous editing method. I would love to be able to see the two overlapping items positioned vertically so that I can very quickly line up waveforms (by dragging one of the items) and then move crossfade to appropriate edit point (being able to select from a list of default or customized crossfade shapes and length). Also, any aligning of waveforms should not affect subsequent gaps/edits etc..

See attached image!

Thanks...
Old 04-29-2013, 07:27 AM   #3
bachstudies

Quote:
Since writing my first post, I've discovered that Ardour 3 has the short crossfade as default (also radically overhauled crossfade system in general). It is super-easy to line up wave forms because you can see the lower-level item peaks as you drag (even beyond the crossfade.

So for Reaper -- a repeated request to make short limited (say 30ms) crossfades on item overlap because that's how most people work in the real world. In addition, if a professional visual crossfade editor a la Sequoia is not in the works, a way to see the lower-level item while dragging the other on top of it without having to switch off auto-crossfade.
See here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=122267
Old 12-09-2019, 03:23 PM   #4
cohler
Banned

FYI, I've used Pyramix for years and Sonic Solutions for many years before that. That's why I built my new classical editing extension for Reaper.

Contact me if you are interested in beta testing...

Quote:
Hi All,

See attached image!

Thanks...
cohler is offline   Reply With Quote