Old 08-16-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
mjmartin64
Human being with feelings

Default Sampler options....

Hi -- I'm just getting Reaper up and running and it's going great. I would like to start using a sampler, mostly for horn and string parts. (I'm already using EZDrummer for drums.) Was thinking I might find freeware, but having searched the forums the general sense seems to be that I wouldn't find anything satisfactory that could cope with a significant load. (True?) Could anyone recommend a path for someone who a) doesn't want to spend a fortune, (but would be willing to pay what it costs to get it right, b) is dying to get some great sounding horn and string parts (a friend has some really good Yamaha samples I like a lot, c) doesn't want to be using something which isn't going to be completely happy working in Reaper.

Your advice is gratefully received....this forum is a lifesaver. Thanks!

(apologies if this is not the right place to post this -- let me know....)
mjmartin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
stratman

Shortcircuit v1.1.2 maybe?

http://www.vemberaudio.se/shortcircuit.php

Pete
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
mjmartin64

Thanks for the suggestion -- hadn't heard of it. Looks like a possibility!
Old 08-21-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
TeeBlack

yes shortcircuit is pretty good.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #5
mjmartin64

Default Making ShortCircuit Go?

OK -- I've got ShortCircuit 1.1.2 loaded. I called it up on a track through the effects button. I loaded a sample into it....

And then a brick wall.

I've looked at the help document -- but I'm stumped. I'd just like to do basic things to start with -- like audition the sample. I hit 'A' -- but just got the annoying Windows 'doink' that says I'm going up a dead end.

I'm really in need of a "ShortCircuit for Particularly Slow Beginners" manual -- or just the most basic of tips on how I might get started.

Thanks a million, guys.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:31 PM   #6
mjmartin64

Default Doh...

No sooner did I post that last message than I realised I need to load it up as a VST -- so it seems active now. I'll see how I get on from here. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:05 PM   #7
mjmartin64

Yes -- that's it working grand. (Duh...) But I'm still pretty clueless about how to use it -- so any real beginners tips on setting it up with a set of samples, teaching the external keyboard what it's to trigger etc. (in my case, horns) would be great.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:54 AM   #8
sceyefeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmartin64 View Post
Yes -- that's it working grand. (Duh...) But I'm still pretty clueless about how to use it -- so any real beginners tips on setting it up with a set of samples, teaching the external keyboard what it's to trigger etc. (in my case, horns) would be great.
Shortcircuit is pretty sweet. Good choice

On the main left hand column is where you see your sample list. You can either load them one by one into sequential key zones (read per piano key) or you can drag a whole lot of them in and let SS organise them for you (the only problem with this route is that SS sometimes re-orders them for you.

You will also see a mutli and omni buttons at the top of that column. IF you click on the mutli view, you will see something like a piano key at the bottom and soft of excel like blocks on each note - the mapping of sample to keyboard. You can drag the sides of these bars to make a sample trigger over a range of keys (say one horn note that can be c1-b1 with root key of c1)

You can also create multiple samples per key which is where that omni button and the little numbers at the top of that column are for, as you can set a bunch/layer of samples to all trigger on a given note. The omni button toggles seeing each zone by itself or all at once.

Oh and you can also click on a given sample which will allow granular editing of a given sample including which of the 8 stereo pairs to route the audio out (nice if you have say a drum kit where you want to eq and compress the kick differently to say snares and hats)

Ok that was a quick short and sharp run down, can go into a bit more depth if this is still not getting you in the right direction
sceyefeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:54 PM   #9
mjmartin64

Man -- that's fantastic! Just what I needed to unlock the mysteries. Just digesting that bit of info will keep me out of trouble for a few days. Thanks so much!

On another note...I've already dug up some cool free samples (.wav files) on the web and am using them to learn my way around SC. Do you have any recommendations for samples (either to buy or for free) that you like the sound of and work well in SC? I'm mostly interested in acoustic stuff (horns, strings, percussion, bass) -- I'm not a techno guy.

Again -- thanks for the advice -- great stuff.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:50 PM   #10
sceyefeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmartin64 View Post
Man -- that's fantastic! Just what I needed to unlock the mysteries. Just digesting that bit of info will keep me out of trouble for a few days. Thanks so much!

On another note...I've already dug up some cool free samples (.wav files) on the web and am using them to learn my way around SC. Do you have any recommendations for samples (either to buy or for free) that you like the sound of and work well in SC? I'm mostly interested in acoustic stuff (horns, strings, percussion, bass) -- I'm not a techno guy.

Again -- thanks for the advice -- great stuff.
Glad to help - wasn't sure if I was explaining it clearly (and with just a vague mental picture in my head - have only recently started using SC again)

Sorry man, am a bit of a techno head myself (well trance to be accurate). Have you checked http://ccmixter.org ? potentially a good place to start.

enjoy
sceyefeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:21 PM   #11
mjmartin64

Default Really basic question...

Ok -- I finally got some samples and now realised I have some even dumber questions. Like how do I get the samples off the cd?

I'm using ProSamples horns -- which come in a variety of formats (Aiff, Akai, EXS24, WAV, etc). I discovered right away I'm lucky enough to have a CD drive (an NEC) which can't read Akai files for some reason. But I can see all the other formats on the disk. But I can't figure out what to do next. Do I need to extract them from the CD somehow? Shortcircuit doesn't even see them as being there when I click 'Load' and go to search the CD drive for files to load. It just looks blank.

Do I get some extracting software? Seems weird -- I didn't expect this little hiccup.

Thanks for patience with basic questions!