Old 08-13-2018, 05:37 PM   #1
JamesPeters
Human being with feelings

Default .

I had edited a version of Default Commala (mostly changes to color, and some edited images), but it's gone now. There are no backups.

For how I used the theme, I thought I was done editing it. The more I used it though, the more I realized some things needed work for consistency. Default Commala has a lot of layouts, so it meant a lot more changes than I was comfortable with to make the edited version complete. In the meantime I had people asking me for changes to the theme, including some changes to the core aspects with which I have no experience (and wouldn't want to spend the time doing even if I did).

When Reaper's Default V6 alpha was released, I found it was a better fit for me. That's when I deleted my edited version of the Default Commala theme.

Sorry to disappoint those who are looking for it still.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 07-14-2019 at 10:33 AM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:11 AM   #2
Georgedayren

Wow! Like this theme! Thank you
Georgedayren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:22 PM   #3
mamazai

Really cool, thanks.
mamazai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:46 PM   #4
Softsynth

Hi James,
Thanks for sharing. However it wasn't for me. This (just entering) middle aged man found your version of the theme too gaudy (like 80s day glo neon socks) causing eye strain. I wonder how much this will come down to screen type, calibration, brightness, size, viewing distance, ambient light and so on.
I wonder if you are using a more washed out TN type panel, as opposed to IPS, MVA etc?

Default Commala 5 2016 is my favourite theme though. I find the 2016 contrast ideal, not tiring.

https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1702/D...ReaperThemeZip

So for anyone finding this one close but no cigar try the 2016 version. YMMV.
Cheers anyway.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:21 PM   #5
Softsynth

Strange isn't it. I also use a matte finish IPS which is calibrated sRGB. I find the 2016 version has non the luminescent glow your modification has added. Go figure! But hey, if it helps someone else.....
Old 08-15-2018, 04:22 AM   #6
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
I added some luminescence for the active mute, solo, monitor, arm and envelope buttons. Those are things which in my opinion should look illuminated to stand out. Besides that though I kept it fairly neutral. Unless you mean how the selected items in the arrange view "light up", which again I wanted to be quite apparent.

Both really. It was more tiring for my eyes on my IPS monitor.

I dismiss many themes because they are either too gaudy (tiring) or too dull (indistinct/poor contrast). Getting that balance right is hard.

I can see why you did it. I wouldn't mind a very subtle amount of the additional brightness you applied to the 2016 version, but that doesn't bother me. 2016 is close enough.

So many variables I guess. Another theme I still like is the Reaper 4 theme RADO V-4 (sadly no more it seems). I have it but I cannot see it elsewhere to offer links. There is a modified dark version but it seems to lack the wide mixer tracks.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:33 AM   #7
mamazai

It would be better if the dual pan is symmetrical with two circles.
mamazai is offline   Reply With Quote