Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 11-15-2019, 05:10 PM   #1
birdman
Human being with feelings

Default Amplesound acoustic bass plug in

Anyone using this plug in? Im running out of ideas on how to make notes stop stuttering....like baboom instead of boom.....best way I can describe it.

Ive tried all volume settings on my mid keyboard, on Reaper and on the plug in along with eq, compressing, limiting, whatever........still get the baboom on certain notes.

Thanks
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:09 AM   #2
ivansc

Have you checked with Ample Sound? Their stuff has always worked fine for me, but I suppose it could well be something in your Reaper settings, though.
One thing it might be worth trying to eliminate anything you maky have deliberately or accidentally set "wrong" would be to do a fresh install of Reaper & check the "portable" button when you run the installer. This sets up a new, factory settings install of Reaper on your C:\ drive in its own separate folder. This means you can then load the Ample bass vst & see if it still stutters without messing up your original install. If it works OK in the portable install, you probably need to explore you existing reaper.ini file by comparing it with the one in the portable install & seeing what is different. Not as scary as it sounds, by the way. Just two fairly short text files to compare in something like Notebook.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:48 AM   #3
morgon

This probably won't help but I'll mention that it's got a different sound on notes specifically at 127 [max MIDI vol]
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:16 AM   #4
birdman

Default amplesound

Yes, thank you. Will try this

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Have you checked with Ample Sound? Their stuff has always worked fine for me, but I suppose it could well be something in your Reaper settings, though.
One thing it might be worth trying to eliminate anything you maky have deliberately or accidentally set "wrong" would be to do a fresh install of Reaper & check the "portable" button when you run the installer. This sets up a new, factory settings install of Reaper on your C:\ drive in its own separate folder. This means you can then load the Ample bass vst & see if it still stutters without messing up your original install. If it works OK in the portable install, you probably need to explore you existing reaper.ini file by comparing it with the one in the portable install & seeing what is different. Not as scary as it sounds, by the way. Just two fairly short text files to compare in something like Notebook.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:19 AM   #5
birdman

Default amplesound

Yes, I noticed that. Ive tried playing with my midi output volume, and the reaper input volume in every way imaginable and I cant find any pattern of what causes this. Although my midi cable is new Im wondering if it is something as simple as that? Or maybe its the computer Im using...something not adequate there? This is moderately maddening when all Im trying to do is put down some tracks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
This probably won't help but I'll mention that it's got a different sound on notes specifically at 127 [max MIDI vol]
Old 11-16-2019, 12:18 PM   #6
birdman

Default amplesound bass problem

Im on the reaper site to download and there is no 'portable' option. I remember seeing that previously but cant find it now??

Quote:
Old 11-16-2019, 12:48 PM   #7
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
Im on the reaper site to download and there is no 'portable' option. I remember seeing that previously but cant find it now??
There is no separate installer. Select the option during install.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:35 PM   #8
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
Yes, I noticed that. Ive tried playing with my midi output volume, and the reaper input volume in every way imaginable and I cant find any pattern of what causes this. Although my midi cable is new Im wondering if it is something as simple as that? Or maybe its the computer Im using...something not adequate there? This is moderately maddening when all Im trying to do is put down some tracks!!!
i would think velocity is more likely to change the sound than MIDI volume
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:44 PM   #9
birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
There is no separate installer. Select the option during install.
thank you! just found that out
Old 11-16-2019, 02:51 PM   #10
ivansc

Ha Ha! Was just about to copy my original instruction & point out that the button is IN the installer window!
Old 11-16-2019, 02:51 PM   #11
birdman

Ok.......first, the 'stuttering'takes place mainly in the first 6 or 8 measures of a track. It seems like something 'overloads' initially then goes away??

I downloaded portable reaper and installed amplesound in it. Being that the portable version is different than mine, I cant get my midi keyboard to work for some reason. The input selections are different. So I did a track with the amplesound virtual keyboard and no stuttering. I dont know what that means because is it my version of reaper, my keyboard or my computer? Maybe my computer doesnt have enough of something or other to process those peak notes?

I can contact amplesound because on their site there is no contact info, only manuals and faq type stuff.

All pretty frustrating when Im on a recording deadline.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:15 PM   #12
birdman

Quote:
Ha Ha! Was just about to copy my original instruction & point out that the button is IN the installer window!
ok.......I compared the ini files of my version and the portable one, and they are dramatically different
Old 11-16-2019, 04:56 PM   #13
birdman

Its too crazy for words. I set up a new bass track away from my existing guitar track, and not one stutter. Have to think about that one.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:03 AM   #14
ivansc

At least the portable install got you looking in the right places! Hopefully you can now make all the changes that you made in your real reaper install one by one in the portable till it starts stuttering again. Good luck!

If you are feeling under-informed to take this on now, you could always add the two different reaper.ini files to a post on here so we can all have a look.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:17 PM   #15
birdman

Made a breakthrough. For some reason after 4 hours of trying to get a simple clean bass track, the thought came into my mind (for some reason) to separate the bass track from other instruments with an empty track. Viola! it came out totally clean with no stuttering!!! Now to me thats baffling. On digital equipment I get it if there two adjacent tracks distort but on the software??? what is that???? So, that somehow fixed the problem.....an empty track between the bass and other instruments.

I sure hope this helps someone else and saves the aggravation I went through.

thanks to all for suggestions!
Bil