Old 01-23-2020, 05:33 AM   #1
kgbeat
Human being with feelings

Default SD or HD samples?

So just about to download a sample library and am offered SD or HD. Clearly HD should be better but what are the implications within Reaper if any please?
kgbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:00 AM   #2
synkrotron

Ideally, any sample stuff could do with being the same as what ever your REAPER setup is.

Can't say as I have ever heard audio samples referred to as SD and HD.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:09 AM   #3
Stella645

Waves instrument?

Only likely difference you'll notice is load times. If you're on HDD the HD samples will be slow. Once loaded they play from ram so won't be much difference.
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:01 PM   #4
DVDdoug

As a practical matter, no difference.

But if I had two otherwise identical samples I'd probably go with the high resolution version (human nature).

Back to the more practical side -
The guys who do blind ABX tests will say you can't hear a difference between a high-resolution original and a copy downsampled to "CD quality".

And assuming you are mixing, mixing actually increases resolution. Mixing is done by summation so if you mix two full-scale (0dB) 16-bit tracks it takes 17 bits to hold the summed data. Or, since you usually lower the volume before/after mixing you can get more resolution on the "quiet end".
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:12 PM   #5
kgbeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by synkrotron View Post
Ideally, any sample stuff could do with being the same as what ever your REAPER setup is.

Can't say as I have ever heard audio samples referred to as SD and HD.
So the sample was 'Bass Fingers' from Waves. I had to redownload the library and that is were it said SD or HD. I chose HD but it was a massive file and took abut 45 mins to download.

I had also asked the question in Google and has watched a demo video comparing a piano sample in HD and SD - and I could hear a slight difference in quality, particularly in the top end. My sample rate in Reaper is 44.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:15 PM   #6
kgbeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post
As a practical matter, no difference.

But if I had two otherwise identical samples I'd probably go with the high resolution version (human nature).

Back to the more practical side -
The guys who do blind ABX tests will say you can't hear a difference between a high-resolution original and a copy downsampled to "CD quality".

And assuming you are mixing, mixing actually increases resolution. Mixing is done by summation so if you mix two full-scale (0dB) 16-bit tracks it takes 17 bits to hold the summed data. Or, since you usually lower the volume before/after mixing you can get more resolution on the "quiet end".
I did go for the higher one (although it didn't state what the rate was). And sorry but I didn't really understand the mixing comment - but I am not a techy!
Old 01-24-2020, 04:25 PM   #7
Stella645

Waves libraries...the HD are FLAC, SD are OGG. Lossless vs Lossy (but good quality) compression.
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:38 AM   #8
kgbeat

[QUOTE=Stella645;2236217]Waves libraries...the HD are FLAC, SD are OGG. Lossless vs Lossy (but good quality) compression.[/Q

OK thank you. All in all I guess the SD would have been fine for what I do!