Old 12-29-2018, 06:23 PM   #1
nepenthe
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 43
Default Proper source-destination editing

I'd love to see proper source-destination editing in Reaper. This would be killer. Reaper already has amazing editing - ripple per track, all tracks, etc... if you added S-D editing it would boost this DAW into Pyramix territory.

I've seen what is possible with the SWS extensions and, although cool, that's really not something that works for me.

So, I dunno... I think this would be a cool addition that would further distinguish Reaper as a serious DAW and set it apart from the crowd. <3
nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:30 PM   #2
enroe
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepenthe View Post
I'd love to see proper source-destination editing in Reaper.
What is "source-destination editing"? Can you describe it?
__________________
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs and weird stuff: enroe.de
enroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:39 PM   #3
Fabian
Human being with feelings
 
Fabian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 5,607
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroe View Post
What is "source-destination editing"? Can you describe it?
I asked myself the same thing. Then I googled, and found this:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=86460
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=116213
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=72214
etc...
__________________
// MVHMF
I never always did the right thing, but all I did wasn't wrong...
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:47 PM   #4
nepenthe
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroe View Post
What is "source-destination editing"? Can you describe it?
It is a bit like comping. You build an edited master track using selections from other tracks. So you can make selections in the source tracks and and tell the DAW to paste these selections at position X in the destination track.

This method of editing is helpful if you are constructing an edited version of a larger recording. For example: if your job is to create a highlight reel or a condensed version of a long performance, you can use S-D editing to assemble it based on your client's edit list. Rather than chopping up the original file, you simply select the regions from your source track and say "send to destination" (like fancy copy-paste). The key is that the source and destination tracks have independent positioning, magnification, etc. So you can view a large section of your destination (comp) while zooming in closely to your source to make a precise selection. It can be pretty handy.
nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:57 PM   #5
nofish
Human being with feelings
 
nofish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: home is where the heart is
Posts: 9,370
Default

Video link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh-j3jblSfQ

+1
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:59 PM   #6
cohler
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 46
Default Source-Destination Editing

I have built a complete system on Reaper for true, better-than-Pyramix, source-destination editing.

If you would like to be a beta tester, write to me.
cohler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:20 PM   #7
cohler
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 46
Default Finally! Complete Source-Destination Editing in Reaper!

Announcing Cohler Classical, which is now at beta test version 1.16. Looking for one or two more interested beta testers...

Cohler Classical is a new application built on Reaper and designed from the ground up exclusively for multitrack track-group editing, as is used in classical music, for example. Features include:
  • Source-Destination multi-track track-group editing;
  • Point-click-drag crossfade editor;
  • Automatic track and item grouping;
  • Track-group and project marker system;
  • Redesigned and optimized menu and keyboard shortcut system;
  • More than 350 new functions;
  • Elimination of numerous Reaper limitations, incorrect implementations, and bugs;
  • Markers and automation stick to audio;
  • Playback rate change ripples audio/markers/automation;
  • Multi-track track-group import/export functionality;
  • CUE/WAV/CDT Export for mastering;
  • Multi-track track-group consolidation;
  • Suite of automation functions for detailed balancing;
  • And much more!
Everything you need to do in multitrack track-group editing is just one keystroke or click away with Cohler Classical.

Check out the Quick Start Guide for more details. I will also post a few short demonstration videos soon.

If you are interested in joining our beta test team, contact me directly at cohler@jonathancohler.com. We will take two or three more beta testers.
cohler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:23 PM   #8
nepenthe
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohler View Post
Announcing Cohler Classical, which is now at beta test version 1.16. Looking for one or two more interested beta testers...

Cohler Classical is a new application built on Reaper and designed from the ground up exclusively for multitrack track-group editing, as is used in classical music, for example. Features include:
  • Source-Destination multi-track track-group editing;
  • Point-click-drag crossfade editor;
  • Automatic track and item grouping;
  • Track-group and project marker system;
  • Redesigned and optimized menu and keyboard shortcut system;
  • More than 350 new functions;
  • Elimination of numerous Reaper limitations, incorrect implementations, and bugs;
  • Markers and automation stick to audio;
  • Playback rate change ripples audio/markers/automation;
  • Multi-track track-group import/export functionality;
  • CUE/WAV/CDT Export for mastering;
  • Multi-track track-group consolidation;
  • Suite of automation functions for detailed balancing;
  • And much more!
Everything you need to do in multitrack track-group editing is just one keystroke or click away with Cohler Classical.

Check out the Quick Start Guide for more details. I will also post a few short demonstration videos soon.

If you are interested in joining our beta test team, contact me directly at cohler@jonathancohler.com. We will take two or three more beta testers.
Rock. I’d try this just for the market features :-D
nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:51 AM   #9
cohler
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepenthe View Post
Rock. I’d try this just for the market features :-D
If you are interested in beta testing, contact me at cohler@jonathancohler.com
cohler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:33 PM   #10
Buy One
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 136
Default

Might not be the same idea, but at least as far as i've understood it from the description

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTrt72GBhOA

There the source audio is chopped, but i believe with modification it can work without chopping also

And an SD setup in REAPER one person has shared on YT and here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utSTd8huEoM
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1100627

Also

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1720524

That's not to undercut the FR at all, just a suggestion of options for the time being

Last edited by Buy One; 01-24-2020 at 02:44 PM.
Buy One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 01:45 AM   #11
enroe
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepenthe View Post
It is a bit like comping. You build an edited master track using selections from other tracks. So you can make selections in the source tracks and and tell the DAW to paste these selections at position X in the destination track.

This method of editing is helpful if you are constructing an edited version of a larger recording. For example: if your job is to create a highlight reel or a condensed version of a long performance, you can use S-D editing to assemble it based on your client's edit list. Rather than chopping up the original file, you simply select the regions from your source track and say "send to destination" (like fancy copy-paste). The key is that the source and destination tracks have independent positioning, magnification, etc. So you can view a large section of your destination (comp) while zooming in closely to your source to make a precise selection. It can be pretty handy.
Ahh, I see.

This method "source-destination editing" seems to be
a method everybody who edits audio tracks is doing
implicitely.

In Reaper you can do it easily if you just copy the
"source-track" and move the item-borders of the copied
audio-item. By iterating the copying you build up your
destination-track.

This is non-destructive and fast. And you have all the
advantages you describe here.
__________________
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs and weird stuff: enroe.de
enroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:11 AM   #12
andyp24
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 725
Default

Yes, there's always more than one way to skin a cat. But people who work in specific areas of the industry have highly specialised workflows, equating to speed and accuracy for a particular task (and therefore equating to less time spent/more money earned for them!). Although everything that S-D editing achieves can be done in other ways, for some jobs it's definitely more efficient. I've tried it, but for my work (mainly radio/speech based) it's not too helpful. For multitrack music editing of many takes of the same section of music, it's very clever.

That said, I spent a while on Skype to Jonathan Cohler (above) about his enhancements of Reaper for S-D based editing. He's put a LOT of work into this, and it looks like it could be a real asset to those who need that kind of workflow. Some of his ideas and solutions would also be useful OUTSIDE his S-D tailored environment as well if "spun off" into different scripts.

If there's anyone out there doing large scale multitrack music editing (classical or acoustic), or comes from a Sonic Solutions/Pyramix background, I'd recommend getting in touch with Jonathan and helping to test and develop his system.
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.