Old 12-31-2015, 03:24 PM   #1
jazzmandan
Human being with feelings

Default Drag and Drop OUT of Reaper

I can drag and drop tracks/media into Reaper, but not OUT from Reaper.

For example I want to drag and drop a Midi track from Reaper to EZKeys for adjusting. But instead I have to save the track as a midi file on the desktop and then drag it into EZKeys.

Is this the only way to do it? Any tricks I don't know here?
"significantly better than bad..." - Dell XPS i7, 16G Ram, Win 10 64Bit, REAPER 64Bit, MOTU Audio Express, PG Music - BIAB 2019, Kontakt 5, more VSTs than I know what to do with. Will trade all to play the guitar better!
jazzmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:38 PM   #2
nofish

I know you can drag audio items from Reaper in some samplers (or desktop) with holding Ctrl + Alt while dragging (this renders a new copy automatically).

Don't know if that works with MIDI and EZKeys too, but maybe worth a try.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:55 PM   #3
jazzmandan

Brilliant - Just as you called it. That is a big help to me, thanks much.
"significantly better than bad..." - Dell XPS i7, 16G Ram, Win 10 64Bit, REAPER 64Bit, MOTU Audio Express, PG Music - BIAB 2019, Kontakt 5, more VSTs than I know what to do with. Will trade all to play the guitar better!
Old 01-01-2016, 04:24 AM   #4
nofish

Oh so it works with MIDI too, that's good to know.
You're welcome.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:01 AM   #5
tombuur

For a moment I thought this could do what I have wanted for a long time: drag and drop of clips from tracks to the media explorer (like Studio One does it). But I can't make it work this way.
Reaper 5, latest release, 64-bit w SWS |GA Z270 UD5|Intel i7 K7700|32 GB RAM|Fireface 800|500GB SSD sys, 1TB SSD Rec, 4TB HDD samples|Win 10 64bit|Dynaudio BM6A|Softube Console 1|Sonnox|Waves|Melda|Superior 3|Komplete 12U|Melodyne|Slate|Izotope.
tombuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:35 AM   #6
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombuur View Post
For a moment I thought this could do what I have wanted for a long time: drag and drop of clips from tracks to the media explorer (like Studio One does it). But I can't make it work this way.
It works here, but only if you use Windows Explorer for the media explorer, there's an option for this in the ME.

(assuming you're on Win, don't know about Mac)
Old 01-03-2016, 01:14 AM   #7
tombuur

Thanks. It works.

Now I just wonder why this function is not available in the Reaper media browser? After all the Windows shows you at lot of other files which are not sounds.
Reaper 5, latest release, 64-bit w SWS |GA Z270 UD5|Intel i7 K7700|32 GB RAM|Fireface 800|500GB SSD sys, 1TB SSD Rec, 4TB HDD samples|Win 10 64bit|Dynaudio BM6A|Softube Console 1|Sonnox|Waves|Melda|Superior 3|Komplete 12U|Melodyne|Slate|Izotope.
tombuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:57 AM   #8
jazzmandan

This feature seems to be a "hidden" jem.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:46 AM   #9
callahan09

Sorry to revive an old thread, but is there a way to drag & drop like this directly into Superior Drummer 3 (SD3) and actually have it work? What appears to be happening (I'm on Reaper v6.03 now) is that it doesn't actually save the MIDI file to the hard drive until after you let go of the drag & drop. And there seems to be a timing issue with SD3, where as soon as you drop the item into SD3 it immediately imports the .mid file, but BEFORE Reaper has finished saving it, so it's just an empty .mid file at the time that SD3 imports it, and you end up with an empty MIDI block. Is there some way around this? The only thing I have figured out how to do so far is to drag & drop it, delete the empty MIDI block in SD3, then drag & drop the .mid file from my media explorer into SD3. It works, but it's annoying!

If there isn't going to be a way to successfully directly drag & drop into SD3, is there at least a way to create the .mid file with which to drag into SD3 in a more direct way? By using the ctrl + alt + drag method, I have to either drag it onto a track (and then delete it, because I don't actually want it there, which is annoying), or drag it into SD3 and then delete it from there, or if I drag it directly down into my media explorer window in Reaper, then I get this message that says:

"The source and destination file names are the same."

So clearly dragging & dropping it into the project media folder in the media explorer results in it trying to save it there TWICE. I can work around this in one of two ways:

A) Either drag & drop it to a different folder than the project media folder, but then I get two copies of it, one saved in the project media folder, and one saved elsewhere, and really I only want it in the project media folder anyway.

or

B) I can uncheck "Use Windows Explorer for browsing" and then it doesn't save a duplicate of it, but the problem is that it doesn't auto-refresh the media items list when that's unchecked, I have to explorer to a different folder and then back to refresh it and get the new .mid file to show in the media explorer.

Neither of those methods are ideal either.

SO, I'm out of ideas Haha, there is so much in Reaper that I don't know how to do and I'm sure this is just another of those things and there's got to be a way to do this in a more straight-forward way with no duplicate files or items I need to delete afterwards, or extra hoops to jump through... I just don't know how! Please help?
callahan09 is offline   Reply With Quote